The Cloud Minders - Real Art?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TheThrasson, Nov 26, 2008.

1. TheThrasson

TheThrasson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Are the "works of art" in this episode actual pieces contributed to the show? My eye tells me no (besides Droxine, that is), but you never know. I'm a studio artist, but far from a critic. There is one piece that has a plaque, (by the balcony), but I can't make out what it says. There are a few on pedastels that could be actual art pieces.

If they are not, where are they from? I would assume (I know I shouldn't), they came off the NBC lot, but who chose and why? Some of the stuff was pretty, dare I say beautiful?

Please remember, I don't want to get into a highbrow debate about what art actually "is" or "is not". I AM a barbarian at heart!

Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I would assume they were pieces that were made for previous film or TV productions and stored afterward by the studio for later use, or else rented from a prop supply company.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, they were, for the most part, odd looking artsy-fartsy coffee tables that John Dwyer came across, minus the legs and the big piece of glass that normally goes across the top, and they just hung the things on the wall.

5. TheThrasson

TheThrasson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks. I figured it was something like this. I was hoping for something more surprising.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And where did you read that?

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Get thee to the extras on the TOS DVD sets, he tells the tale himself.