New JJ Abrams interview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 12, 2012.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:cool: As expected, he doesn't give anything serious away.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1698753/star-trek-into-darkness-villain-jj-abrams.jhtml

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Harrison's backstory: He became embittered as a kid because all the other little villains in Villain Land made fun of his name. He vowed he'd show them and grow up to become the most frightening and coolest villain ever.

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Someone should tell this asshole to stop repeating that shit like a braindead parrot. It's annoying, and borderline disrespectful.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2 posts? That took longer than I expected.:)

5. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

6. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

JJ was booked, so MTV just replayed an interview he gave four years ago.

also

There needs to be a JJ apology tour for him to individually apologize to every fan whose feelings he hurt.

7. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too funny. Not sure how it's disrespectful. It's just smart business and smart movie-making. Also, I've seen what fans want on this board and it's usually frighteningly bad.

8. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, JJ is right here! This is why Trek 09 was successful when the TNG movies bombed. The TNG movies were too much of a niche market, only appealing to die hard TNG fans. Trek 09 worked because it appealed to all movie fans while still giving Trek fans lots to enjoy!

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it is a trite thing for J.J. to say, but yes, it's also a necessary thing to say.

If "Star Trek" is going to continue to be successful, it needs to regrow a fan base. To that end, it needs to be shown as accessible and entertaining even if you don't know who Gene Roddenberry is. The original fan base (those who still even follow Trek) is now full of old people like me, and we don't live forever.

Fandom is unlikely to ever be the same, too. It will be a more casual acquaintance with Trek. Abrams' point is you can enjoy "Star Trek" on its own without needing to make the commitment to it that leads one down the slippery slope to being a Trekkie and posting on boards like this.

All you need to do is be interested enough in it to plop down your $10 or $12 every two years or so, and that will be fine, thank you.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least he didn't take this opportunity to point out that he's always been more of a Star Wars fan than Star Trek, like he did in every single interview relating to Trek XI. Even on the DVD.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why is it annoying and disrespectful? I'm a Star Trek fan and the last thing I want to see is a movie made just for Star Trek fans.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I said BORDERLINE disrespectful, and that was mainly my irritation speaking. There's a difference between "not JUST for fans", and "not for fans". The fact that this movie is meant for general audiences doesn't bother me one bit. What bothers me is Abrams repeating the same shit over and over again, like it's some kind of a mantra, devised to rid the franchise of the whole "uncool" syfy basement-fanboy nerd stigma.

No kiddin'.

What I find the most ridiculous is how many fans would rather watch another 25 seasons of Voyager, with the same old rehashed done-to-death shitty plots, than have their precious Star Trek go a little mainstream.

TNG movies bombed because they were basically just mediocre TV episodes, that accidentally made their way to the big screens. Written by people who lost their "mojo" years ago, directed by people who didn't care enough, produced on a budget ridiculously low for today's standards.

It's exactly why ENT crashed and burned as well.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Same here. :techman:

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Again, "not JUST for star trek fans" is one thing. I'm perfectly fine with that. I actually PREFER that.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A semantic difference that's no difference at all.

Its a knee jerk reaction that just high lights the negative image of Star Trek "fans" and their proprietary and insular attitude.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I respectfully disagree.

Guilty as charged.

I'll be in my basement, if you need me.

17. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He also said that he was saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters and enjoyed it.

18. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

I'm pretty sick of their neverending "we make Star Trek which is not really a Star Trek, so don't worry..."
    Just me personally, I feel insulted when I see this.

They are trying so hard to make it NOT feel, look or watch like Star Trek.
    You ask why?

Star Trek is a brand, like any other. They know, Star Trek fans will go see it regardless of anything else, just because of the two magical words in the title.

Which means all the rest of potential audience remains, which will NOT see it, just because "Star Trek is the nerdy stuff", and they must try hard to persuade them, especially by smirking on the fans of the lore they abuse.

What we get now is
    - Avengers with Star Trek in the title or
    - Dark Knight with Star Trek in the title
    - Star Wars with Star Trek in the title, etc.
    basically any movie that happened to grab a substantial audience in the past, thinking - "let's do the same thing just put the guys into geeky Trek uniforms"

I so much more appreciate the honest effort of CBS to remaster TNG and maybe later series as well. Despite S2 "disaster" they are investing into the franchise I grew to love.
    What JJ is doing is just grabbing some money, here and now. You think this will re-energize Star Trek? Spawn a new series? Think again. At best, one more movie to go and we are back where we have been at the end of Enterprise.

Disclaimer: I know I will go see that movie. Because I like good movies and good scifi movies. This may be one. But by far, I don't consider this Star Trek. It is waaay something else.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  19. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

One thing you have to realize is that JJ isn't speaking *to* Star Trek fans in these interviews so much as he's speaking to the general movie-going audience. After all, this interview is on freaking MTV.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Did you miss the part at the end, where he specifically states that he did put fanwanky winks and nods in the film? That's to show respect for the longtime fans. I think you take his statement wrong, considering he included this statement as well.