Mockingbird Lane - It didn't suck!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral2, Oct 27, 2012.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, there was some hint of evil Marilyn. The hoboes finding a home wasn't evil, though, but offbeat sentimentality. There was also explicit family dynamics that didn't fit evil Marilyn. Nor did her attempt to save the scoutmaster fit that. If she was supposed to killed him on purpose, the scene was incorrectly set up. For one thing, the "oops" was too cute by half.

They probably would have tried to get the character to gel, but it was too blurry to keep my interest.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

BTW, found this curio the other night, an unaired test episode for the original Munsters...in color! Also, with spastic canned laughter.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXI6ywpKbd8[/yt]

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marilyn was so good, as a series I'd expect it to largely revolve around her and Grandpa. They seem to be the two poles of the family, and there's real tension there.

4. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the idea of Herman searching for a sense of identity as well.

and they cast him perfectly. Jerry O'connell's body totally looks like pieces that don't fit stuck together :lol:

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klk99L4OFKU[/yt]

Jerry talks about getting the role and about posting on Twitter. :)

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

USA has a very narrow show type - dramas with quirky lead characters - basically, they've never gotten over Monk and keep repeating that show ad nauseum. Given the overall success they've had with this approach, I can't argue with the logic.

Mockingbird Lane is too unique and not the right kind of quirky. Plus I'd be surprised to see something so strongly genre on USA.

Dare I mention that the dreaded SyFy is also part of the Universal family? ;)

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Drat. I missed this because I was off in my "cabin in the woods," with no TV and no Internet. I'll have to catch this when I get back from traveling around Frankenstorm. Glad to see it's getting decent reviews.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Nice find. I'll watch that later, too. :bolian:

Good point. They used to re-run Grimm, didn't they? Even if they don't pick up Mockingbird Lane, maybe they'll re-run it.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it just like the one in the movie?

10. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed evey minute of Mockingbid Lane. Yeah, it was a darker, less goofy take on The Munsters but I like it that way. It keeps in mind that, though these people are one happy family, they are monsters as well. That should never be ignored or taken lightly. I love all the characters, especially Jerry's Herman and Eddie's Grandpa. The interplay between them was funny as hell. I wish this was a weekly series. I would be among its avid viewers.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, not at all. And, while it is in the woods, it's not really a cabin, either. It does lack TV, Internet, and cell phone access, though. Just keeping in the spirit of Halloween. ;)

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I watched it with my wife despite our better judgement and it was just awful...it needed a total rewrite, how'd it even get a green light?? The jokes about a serial murderer living there early in the show were tasteless, and just demonstrated they didn't know what direction to go dramatically/comedy-wise. What a bomb this was. One of THE worst pilots made in 15 years. Not surprised it didn't make it to series at all.

RAMA

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I guess you just don't get dark humor. It was actually pretty sublime.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It wasnt dark, it was stupid. Pointless, tasteless, spastic, confused, endlessly moronic. Happily in the trash heap of TV history, as it should be.

RAMA

15. sojourner

Opinion noted. Not agreed with.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Compared to, say, the aborted Wonder Woman pilot or that unwatchable Justice League pilot from a few years back?

This was very slickly done, witty, and professional by comparison. You may have found the humor tasteless, but I thought the whole bit with the dead hobos in the walls was hilarious--in a sick way.

"We prefer it pre-cleansed."

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mostly watch shows on cable now, which makes Mockingbird Lane look tame by comparison. South Park, Archer, Dexter back when it was archly funny...

18. sojourner

^Yep, because MockingBird Lane was all about the shock factor.:rolleyes:

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're mistaken.

20. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was great and really enjoyed it. I think that some people just expect everything to be co-written by Shakespeare, Homer and Dickens.