Star Trek: Captain's Log: Jellico

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by KRAD, Oct 20, 2010.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Since it's in stores today, and since I'm always eager for a/t/t/e/n/t/i/o/n/ feedback, here's a thread for the latest of IDW's Captain's Log one-shots, focusing on one of Trek's most controversial captains, Edward Jellico.

Whaddaya think?

2. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

It's on my 'look at, maybe buy' list. Hated Jellico's guts in Next Gen, grew to like him in New Frontier.

3. KRAD

^ FWIW, the story takes place prior to "Chain of Command." My feeling was that his post-CoC career has been pretty well mined by the novels -- both New Frontier and the post-Nemesis stuff -- so the best bet was to do a prequel set during his time on the Cairo.

4. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'll have to track this down. :)

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Picked this up today. :)

6. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I've picked it up, but haven't had a chance to read it yet...

I'll offer my thoughts as soon as that important part of the process is taken care of. :)

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Jellico was much more recognizable as the character from Chain of Command in this comic than he ever has been in New Frontier.

The New Frontier Jellico is almost more caricature than character, a stereotype of the asshole Admiral, there only for the purpose of making Calhoun look good. Although I didn't care for Jellico in CoC (and this comic reminded me of why I didn't like him in CoC), KRAD at least made him seem more like a real person and competent Starfleet officer than PAD ever has.

ETA: J.K. Woodward's art is amazing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  8. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Will be picking it up later

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As soon as I find the digital version for my PSP I'm gonna be getting this.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Picked up my copy last night. Gorgeous cover, the story was solid (I liked seeing Jellico through the new first officer's eyes and, knowing you, she'll bob up again somewhere) and great to have more Edoan (or Triexian?), Andorian, Bolian and other alien crewmembers.

11. KRAD

^ Actually, the first officer is a previously established character.

:D

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Who is it?

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the book. I liked that it was a prequel to CoC. For a moment the actions of the Harkon didn't make sense to me, but once metagenic weapons were referenced, I got it was part of a game the Cardassians were playing to get Picard.

I thought Jellico was very much in character and it was a pleasure to see him again. I also enjoyed the glimpses of the crew. I wondered what the officers/crew on a ship run by him must be like, so that was neat. Would love to see another Jellico book on down the line, perhaps during the Cardassian Wars or around the time of that peace treaty.

I liked Wong, but was a little disappointed that Jellico wasn't the POV character. It would've been nice to get inside his head. We've already seen how others perceive him, but I would like to see more of how he thinks things through, how he sees the world, and why he makes some of the abrupt, tough, or draconian decisions that he has.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is perhaps not the place for it, but Good Lord... that Wikia redesign is terrible.

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, that's why I changed to the old skin under Preferences.

17. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Got it. Read it. Liked it.

18. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

That pretty much sums it up for me, too.

It's easy enough to dislike the New Frontier's version Jellico, but I can never quite decide whether I like the "Chain of Command" Jellico or not. And I feel just as ambiguous about the the character after reading this story... so I guess KRAD's must be doing something right. :lol:

Good story, fantastic art!! :bolian:

19. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Guy's a little off. He asks Commander Wong if she prefers Leslie or some other dimunitive, then upbraids her on the bridge in front of everyone. Not exactly the kind of guy you want to work for.

I did like the smugness of the Cardassian Gul who thought he was in the right, though.

As usual, KRAD, good stuff! :techman:

20. KRAD

^ Hey, this is the same guy who asked Commander Riker which diminutive of his first name he preferred and then bitched him out in Ten-Forward in front of his old captain. :D