Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've been perusing Minepedia, it helped me not-die on my first night.

And thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to keep them well away from the wooden parts of my base.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

3. Canadave

^ I'm impressed. It's certainly far more ambitious than the pokey little keep I've built myself.

4. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to help you out, having stockpiled six large chests full of cobblestone, but it's SP. :(

I haven't played much Minecraft lately, but I have stockpiled a nice amount of resources (two large chests full of stone and 120 blocks of Iron :cool:), so I'm set to build stuff now.

Then again, I'm tempted to rejoin the SMP server I was playing on before the Halloween update (they reset the map at the time and I started my SP world). They've built some impressive stuff. I especially like the Colosseum, it's still under construction but already very impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkl81iX9j-Q

5. Robert Maxwell

Don't sweat it, building my castle is one of those things I just gradually get the materials for while I'm out mining. ;) I figured up I need something like 200 stacks of cobblestone just to complete the outer wall so it's not like I'm in a hurry.

I went exploring and found some surface-accessible caves. One of them goes straight into a dungeon with a zombie spawner. Wicked. That's a prime candidate for turning into a trap, methinks. I just wish you could move spawners around. I'd love to get a bunch of them and put them in a trap room and have myself a nice little loot factory.

6. Iasius

I do have over 300 stacks of cobblestone stockpiled, which is why I would've liked being able to donate them since I don't really need them at this time. I just figured that I should stockpile them in case I ever decide to build a huge structure out of cobblestone.

I'm currently thinking about expanding my minecart network, having enough iron to produce about 3000 blocks of railroad, but since autocart hasn't been updated yet for the latest updates ...

I do like the threat of mobs in SP, but I also like the feeling of a community effort you get when building stuff in SMP*, but so far health hasn't been implemented in SMP yet, although it'll be done soon according to Notch.

It'll be hard to basically abandon my SP world, but I think I'll go back to SMP soon.

* I started a project to recreate Isengard before the SMP reset, but we never got to finish it. It was awesome what we accomplished in a short time. At some point, there were about a dozen miners working on my project. I miss that.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

There is a way to manufacture massive amounts of cobblestone with just one bucket of lava and one of water. You basically pillar straight up and dump the lava just next to and below the block you're standing on. The you wait till the flow reaches the ground then scoop up the flow spring again and dump the water on it. As the water overtakes the lava it turns it to cobble stone. If you keep doing this down the line and remember to collect the lava and water every time you can easily make very tall walls this way. It's a HUGE time saver!

8. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I've seen that trick, I just need to try it out sometime. It looks pretty cool!

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've not been playing recently, I'm doing another playthrough of Mass Effect 1 at the moment and I'll return to it next week when health has been implemented in multiplayer. The server I was on in being moved so that it can still be saved, but when the update comes out next week they're going to start a new survival mode where TNT, lava, fire, and various other deadly things will be enabled. Should be fun. :)

10. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because I'm always lost, I'm currently building a road system on the water (there's a lot of water around my map), and small way-stations at the crossroads (small buildings with a chest, furnace and workbench) where I can hide during the night and unload the stuff that I've mined during the day. Currently working myself toward two big cave systems which I know about.

The only annoying thing with my first waystation is that it's on the water, and zombies and skeletons tend to stay in the water when day comes, so they don't burn up.. :p My second waystation is on a beach, at least. The third one will be right beneath a mountain with a big cave.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's bloody dangerous mind. It's so easy to misjudge and incinerate yourself and fall off the tower (sinking into the swamp optional.) Just make sure you're within a reasonable distance of your spawn point and am not carrying anything too valuable other than the buckets!

I've recently hot upon 2 HUGE cave systems (from which I've already harvested a whopping 150+ iron!) and am starting to have real trouble not getting lost. Anyone know of a reliable way of navigating these things? I've thought about using trails of redstone dust, but it seems a bit labour intensive and won't help much with irregular vertical spaces. I got turned around twice and it took me near to an hour to find my way back out again.

12. Iasius

When I don't know how to get back through the tunnels, I usually just dig upwards until I get to the surface

I sometimes use signs to indicate which direction I went when there was a split in the tunnel. I've also started to wall off sections that I don't yet want to explore. I leave a thin opening so I can see it's not a mob spawner later on.

13. Canadave

Well, I officially explored (and then got lost in) my first cave last night. Quite the adventure. :D

I've also been slowly building this (some dramatic night shots taken on peaceful):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not terribly grandiose compared to what other people have made, but I'm rather proud of it.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^In that instance, digging up wouldn't have been feasible. For one thing I'd been doing a lot of mining and was down to just half a stone pick and it wouldn't have lasted all the way up. The cave system was down deep, I had broken into it while digging my subway tunnels, which were only 20 or so blocks above the bedrock, plus I'm pretty sure I was under a lake.
    I do make a habit of walling off tunnels, but usually only after I've mined it out. Perhaps I should to both and mark it somehow to distinguish between a dead end and an unexplored passage. Either way, vertical areas are still always a tricky prospect. I think I get into the most trouble while rushing around, dropping torches in all the dark areas so I don't get mobs spawning behind me. I once got ambushed but FIVE creepers, two zombies, a skeleton AND a spider. No exaggeration, there were loads of the buggers and it cost me the five diamonds and 20 iron I was carrying since I couldn't find my way back from the spawn in time. Been paranoid about lighting my way ever since.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh I know such a self-directed game with much better graphics than that.

16. Iasius

I make it a point nowadays to always carry a crafting box and some wood with me when mining. That way I can always make more tools should I need them.

I've had similar experiences. In one cave in particular I died a couple times because it was so large and there were so many skeletons there.
    In the end I dug my way around to find a better entrance that didn't lead directly into the open area and I could move forward cautiously from there.

But it's not like I don't die or get lost anymore, it's just gotten rarer. :)

17. Robert Maxwell

Well, don't keep us in suspense...

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Were you near your spawn at the time? Because there's an anomaly with the monster spawning mechanic where they're more likely to spawn on chunk 0,0 which is the chunk that you spawn on. I had a similar experience when I was exploring a cave but was continually ambushed and was unable to light it up before a new monster would attack. When I checked later on, that section was in chunk 0,0.

Don't let the graphics fool you, this game isn't a basic 8-bit game, it is resource intensive. It frequently uses between 1-1.5GB of RAM when running, and it frequently suffers framerate issues when exploring new chunks. Making the graphics look better would just make an already resource hungry game even worse and it would have even greater difficulty running on older PCs. Presumably, it will be optimised in beta so as not to be quite as resource-hungry as it is now, but by that time changing the graphics would be a mistake as they have come to be part of its charm. A more detailed creeper skin wouldn't be able to express the same sense of threatening sadness that the current skin does.

Wherever I go, I always bring a crafting box, 64 sticks, 64 planks, and at least 32 logs. That's probably overkill, but it makes me feel safe. :lol:

19. Robert Maxwell

Very true. Notch has also said that, even though they've hired an artist, the game's graphics will not become higher res or anything. It makes my Pentium 4 desktop chug already, even with the graphics turned down. It's really not hard to see why considering it's pushing a lot of polygons and has a completely deformable environment. I've noticed if you change the flow of any water it really nails your CPU--the water calculations seem to be pretty intensive. The light calculations are also known to cause some issues which are being worked on.

I'm sure there's some performance enhancement that could be achieved but I imagine the "easy" stuff (frustum culling, backface culling, etc.) has already been done. What's hard is optimizing loading/rendering when you can completely deform the landscape and immediately expose blocks that weren't visible before (think Creepers, TNT.)

For me, it seems like the biggest resource hogs are water and having a lot of chunks active at once. If you wander a great distance in a single session I believe all the chunks you passed through remain active and in memory for the duration of that session. This is pretty easy to optimize for single-player (purge all chunks from memory except the one the player is in and all adjacent chunks) but would be really tough for multiplayer. And I think that's the issue: development is currently focused on completing multiplayer so the game can go to beta. Performance enhancements that would only benefit single-player seem to be waiting for beta.

20. Canadave

Yeah, my home machine is pretty old, so I have to keep the draw distance on short, or else it really chugs at times. It can be kind of annoying since I can't see the sun too well, but the alternative is mistiming jumps on normal, which can be deadly if you're inching down a mineshaft.

I also litter my path underground with copious amounts of torches. In fact, I even like to put a door at cave entrances, just to prevent that slight chance of a creeper wandering in behind me...