Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2010!

David Wong's John Dies at the End is out in paperback, so I purchased a copy yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

It's a great little book, and the movie was pretty effective, too, for a small-budget TV flick. Most people who've seen it refer to a specific scene freaking them the hell out.

It's out of print, but you can see it in parts on YouTube. It's got the whole thing on there.

You may also be interested to know that a new version is currently in production at the newly resurrected Hammer, starring Daniel Radcliffe.

Movie-wise I've been enjoying a few old black and white horror films like The Innocents and the 1963 release of The Haunting.

Bradbury's always great for this season. I'm considering re-reading Something Wicked, too. Then I'll probably watch the movie.

Let us know how it is! I've heard good things.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Half my post vanished. Blargh. Let's try this again.

It only took one faulty DVD opened a year after purchase to cure me of that habit. Now I check them as soon as they arrive.

No more excuses!

Heck, I own all the ones they showed, but I TiVo'd them anyway, just to hear what Robert Osborne has to say.

The Raimi movies are a treat, the highlight (in my opinion) being Evil Dead II. They're best watched with some friends, if you can arrange a night to have some over.

I loved Zombieland in the theater, but I noticed a lot more problems with it on DVD. It's still a really entertaining movie, though.

4. Goliath

Will do.

I just remembered that I also ordered REC 2 from amazon.

If anyone has not seen REC, I recommend it highly--no pun intended. It's a Spanish film that was remade in the United States, as Quarantine. Although the remake was actually not bad, the original, as usual, was better.

In this film, a Spanish infotainment program sends a reporter and a video-cameraman to spend the night at a fire station. (The whole story is shot from the cameraman's point of view) The firemen get an emergency call, and the TV crew accompanies them to a small apartment building--where all hell breaks loose.

The sequel has been well-reviewed, and I am looking forward to it. Here is the poster:

[​IMG]

5. Deckard

Deckard Captain Captain

Yeah I think I have a pretty good idea of the scene you're referring to.

As for it being on youtube, I'll have a look for it (that's actually how I ended up watching The Stone Tape another Kneale gem, which is out of print)

Speaking of which, Kneale's six-part series Beasts had a few chilling episodes that would suit Hallowe'en viewing. Specifically I'd say "Baby" and "During Barty's Party" would be quite creepy viewing for a cold Autumn night.

Yes I had heard something about this. Hopefully it'll turn out to be good but I'm more interested in checking out the '89 version.

I love Bradbury's writing style. It's so vibrant and full of child-like wonder that his works really are a joy to read. I also find Stephen King's stuff to be good for this time of year (but then I guess that's probably a pretty common opinion). I might actually start rereading 'Salem's Lot at some point. (Really enjoyed the Tobe Hooper film too, the one with David Soul)

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I just re-read Something Wicked This Way Comes a couple of weeks ago. I gave it to my Niece for her birthday and I wanted it to be fresh in my mind if she reads it. Bradbury is amazing.

Well, for some reason, the station that is running the new Movie Macabre in Boston is... not running the new Movie Macabre. No idea what's up with that.... :cardie:

That's it. I'm opening it today. I just hope I can resist watching the whole thing. :rommie:

Nice, thanks. :bolian: No more Hammers this weekend (just as well, as I have a lot to do today), but there is an interesting silent film tonight: Phantom. It says, " In this silent film, a store clerk risks his future to pursue his obsession with a beautiful, ghostly woman." I'll probably tape that.

Huh. Really? I remember thinking that it was a pretty lame sequel, after having loved the first one. Of course that was more than 25 years ago, so I can't remember a thing about it now.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

No worries :) just thought more people had the DVD's really.

Good good, Might pick up a copy on Kindle then.

8. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently reading From Hell, the graphic novel about the Jack the Ripper murders by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell. It's one of my all time favorite books and I generally revisit it once a year. I recently watched all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, but was very dissappointed in them. They weren't nearly as good as I remembered them being. That's probably because the last time I watched them it was while I was growing up in the 80's. I was obsessed with Elm Street back then and would get an indescibable thrill every time I would see a new installment appear on the video store shelf. Now I doubt I'll ever watch them again.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want to see both "Rec" and "Rec2" now. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. I'd heard of them before along with the American remake but never really showed much interest until I read the post lol.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, by "taped," I mean I recorded them on my DVR to watch later. I wasn't going to stay up until four AM just to watch them all in one night![/QUOTE]

.[/QUOTE]

.[/QUOTE]

One of these days, although I have way too many DVDs I don't have time to watch already! Plus, some of that old Hammer stuff is hard to find on DVD here in the States. I would love to find a decent copy of VAMPIRE CIRCUS . . . .

11. Spaceman Spiff

Do you have Netflix, Greg? Oddly, it's available for streaming.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, my copy of House Of Wolf Man is in working order, and my copy of Four Color Fear has shipped.

13. Spaceman Spiff

Four--count 'em--four great Hammer flicks on TCM tonight. The Plague of the Zombies, The Devil's Bride (known in the States as The Devil Rides Out, and one of my personal favorites), The Reptile and The Gorgon.

14. Goliath

Haven't you got that backwards? :confused:

Anyway--good film. :techman:

15. Spaceman Spiff

That's weird. Wikipedia seems to agree with you, but I have the American DVD and it's got the second title.

16. Goliath

Maybe it was only called The Devil's Bride during its US theatrical release?

Night of the Demon was re-titled Curse of the Demon for its US theatrical release, but nobody calls it that any more.

17. Spaceman Spiff

That's true. The DVD I have for that one includes both cuts of the movie, but Night of the Demon is the main one.

That's another great flick.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

.[/QUOTE]

.[/QUOTE]

One of these days, although I have way too many DVDs I don't have time to watch already! Plus, some of that old Hammer stuff is hard to find on DVD here in the States. I would love to find a decent copy of VAMPIRE CIRCUS . . . .[/QUOTE]

Yeah it comes out slowly even here in the UK, it took until October 2008 I think it was for Brides of Dracula to finally be released.

19. Goliath

I have the same one. :techman:

Maybe they renamed it The Devil's Bride so that American audiences wouldn't think it was a Western?

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

TCM seems to be having Hammer marathons every Friday through October.