G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

13.2%
  2. Above average

41.8%
  3. Average

20.9%
  4. Below average

12.1%
  5. Poor

12.1%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the Egyptian desert to deep below the polar ice caps, the elite G.I. JOE team uses the latest in next-generation spy and military equipment to fight the corrupt arms dealer Destro and the growing threat of the mysterious Cobra organization to prevent them from plunging the world into chaos.

[​IMG]

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. It looks like a fun action movie.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Up to 91% at RT.

4. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

I can't believe those RT ratings. Is it possible that this movie might be..... dare I say it ...... good? :wtf:

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I have sneak passes for tomorrow night. I'll report back then.
    I'm cautiously optimistic for just a good summer action movie, no more, no less.
    I'm not steeped in Joe lore enough to care about somethings a die hard likely will.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The reviews I've seen aren't actually saying it's a good movie per se, they're saying it's good escapist fun.

I have to admit, I'm surprised to see this movie getting so much praise while Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen got trashed mercilessly. I wonder what this movie captured that the latest Transformers movie didn't.

I've heard a lot of that too. Knowlege of G.I. Joe looks to be minimal and expectations don't seem as high. I wonder if that's part of it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. Agent Richard07

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I probably won't be able to catch it for a couple of weeks, but I'll be taking a look:)

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, didn't Transformers (2007) get hailed as escapist fun? That movie got great reviews.

I read something very interesting about this movie, and I wouldn't consider this a spolier, but one reviewer said watching GIJoe was something like remenicient of the way we used to play with GIJoes when we were younger. ???

10. Agent Richard07

^ Sorry, I was referring to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I corrected my post.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

RT often fluctuates quite wildly for the first few weeks as the ratings begin to come in, especially with fanboy-bait blockbusters. So I wouldn't rely on that a a measure of quality quite yet.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was never a fan of the cartoon (I was more into the robot and fantasy stuff back then), but I have to say the reviews so far have me kind of wanting to SEE this.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

seeing it tomorrow at 12:40 BST.

14. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

I think I'll go see it solely for my sentimental value of the mid 80s cartoon. I have no high expectations. I can't stand what they have done with the look of Cobra Commander. His action figure looked so cool and evil.

15. Agent Richard07

I liked the hood. Apparently they didn't go with it because it was too reminiscent of the Ku Klux Klan's attire.

[​IMG]

16. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Given that he is (I presume) a 'bad guy', what was the worry with comparisons to the KKK?

17. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

I hope it makes enough money to become a franchise. I also hope Tomax and Xamot, Serpentor, Major Bludd, the Dreadnoks, the Crimson Guards, the robotic BATS, and Dr. Mindbender make into the sequels.

18. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess even murderous terror Leaders have to be P.C. for the general movie audience :lol:.

19. Agent Richard07

^ Yeah, maybe they felt it might be too much for what's supposed to be a fun summer movie.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i just want Flint and Jaye in the sequel. couldn't give a rat's ass about anyone else. preferably with Jaye being played by Jen Garner. (C'mon, Sydney Bristow was a 5-year audition for 'fit brunette who kicks ass and disguises herself a lot' Lady Jaye)