The Mysterious Cities of Gold - Part 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

30 years after the original run, the Mysterious Cities of Gold return!
    Here's a 4 min clip/preview of the new series (3 seasons of 26 episodes) but it's in French...

http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/tele/video-les-mysterieuses-cites-d-or-la-suite_1123109.html

Too bad this is no longer a Franco-Japanese collaboration, because I think the animation is somewhat less than fluid. I would have preferred old style animation in stead of 3D, but I guess the target public won't mind...

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

OMG! OMG! My inner child is sooo happy!!!:) I adore this series I can't believe they did it. I agree the style is a bit odd but I can get used to it... Though Mendoza does look on the puny side, they need to beef him up a bit.

At the very least there will be a version with subs, at best they will get actors to redo it in english, but the voices better be spot on.

I remember coming home everyday to catch this show in the 80's and just loved it. When I got the dvd's a few years ago it held up as well as it did when I was a kid... very rare. I showed it to my wife and even she loves it!

Very very very excited!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can live with the animation, I can live with a subbed version. Bring it on!

I remember when I picked up the DVDs a while ago there was a leaflet saying that they were working on a new version. It's been a while, I thought it had all fallen through.

Yamato being remade, more seasons of MCoG, Thundercats back - what next, more Ulysses 31?!

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they'll have live-action shorts at the end of each episode... That's what sold the series for me 30 years ago.

5. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They could use the same voice actors even :)

Was a bit strange going from the actor voicing good-guy Ulysses to the not so good guy Mendoza.

7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not surprising when you see a lot of remakes popping up... but to see a cartoon where I watched the final episode like 25 years ago come out with a honest to God *SEQUEL* which picks up exactly where the story left off from 25 years ago? That's pretty friggin awesome.

I wonder how it will be done to let new viewers get into the story since it certainly does seem to pick up where the first series left off. Esteban is talking about how the man at the mountain in the mask was his Father while he's talking to Mendoza. Esteban spent the entire series trying to find his Father only to finally meet him in the last episode and then his Father seemingly sacrificed himself to stop a nuclear meltdown of an ancient fusion reactor.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen the original since I was a kid, but remember enjoying it. Can't help wondering if it was as fun as I remember, and whether it's possible to capture lightning in a bottle twice anyway. Oh well, nice that they're giving it a go.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone on region 2, or multi-region, BlahDVD are currently knocking out the original series for £16.99 (including free P&P to the UK);

BlahDVD

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm a huge fan of this show and I anxiously waited for years for it to come out on DVD. I've been reading for several years about this production coming together (as well as a now defunct feature film). I can't watch the trailer while I'm at work but I'm look forward to seeing when I get home. :D

11. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life but I just wanted to let anyone who is interested know episode 1 and 2 aired of the new season 2 with regular airing starting in March. Very difficult to find online at the moment and only in French.

My first impressions, loved it! Also shocked how much French I was able to pick up, my wife was like, "Holy crap, since when do you understand French?!" LOL!

The animation flowed, the story was a nice starter. All the characters felt right and seeing the golden condor was great. There is even a great surprise regarding the condor, the design has most certainly been upgraded. I guessing the kids have had enough time to learn some nice hidden secrets about the condor.

It was great seeing new mcog in for the first time in almost 3 decades. Now for it to be dubbed in english, here is hoping they can get as much of the old cast back as possible for the voice acting, that would be the icing on the gold cake!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  12. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Incidentally, I was at a convention in Quebec last month, which featured Jackie Berger, the original French voice actress for Estevan in the 80s dub, as a Guest of Honor. She's not continuing in the role despite still having the chops to do it - the fandom was livid when they found out!

Mark

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn that is too bad.

14. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Here are the first two episodes, check it out!

episode 1 says ep2 but it is #1

episode 2

15. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why are they imprisoned in a castle in the first episode? Are they now seen as fugitives or something?

16. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

It took six months to Mendoza, Pedro and Sancho to return to Spain. Upon arrival in Barcelona, they were captured by Evil-Masked-Dude and sent to a dungeon, their gold seized.
    In the last episode of season 1, when the kids departed the now sunk/destroyed 1st City of Gold, Mendoza and Esteban talked about a rendezvous in a tavern in Barcelona, the very same tavern where they met for the first time. When they (the adults) didn't show up, the kids decided to rescue them.
    Evil-masked-dude is also seeking the mysterious cities of gold, he imprisoned Mendoza and co in order to lure he kids so that he could follow them from a distance.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

While that's disappointing to read, is there any word about an English dub being made? Or at least an English subtitled version being released?

18. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I know there are some fan subs happening but nothing official. If they ended up getting Howard Ryshpan to do the sequel voice for Medndoza it would be like getting Peter Cullen coming back to voice Optimus Prime.

In my opinion, this must happen!

Recently when the original cast had a reunion they did a "voice jam" for one scene and Howard Ryshpan sounded particularly excellent. We should start an email campaign! :)

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

A weird thing happened with the broadcast of season 2.
    The first two episodes were shown back-to-back in early December and then... Nothing.
    Production said the rest will (would?) come in April!

What the actual eff?

20. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seems normal. 4kids did the same with TMNT Fast Forward in 2006, with airing the first two episodes early, then started airing the series properly a few months later.