Fringe

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just bought Fringe on Blu-Ray this week. I had seen the first four episodes before losing track of the series and waiting to see if it would get renewed before diving in. I've re-watched the first four episodes and this is a great series.

The video looks great and the audio is pretty good. There are a ton of special features and I'm going to check them all out when I finish the season.

My only qualm is that you can't individually select episodes. When a disc is loaded, it autoplays the first episode on a disc, and the menu screen only allows selecting special features. Is this a common thing on Blu-Ray or am I doing something wrong?

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

I don't have blu-ray, but you have to be doing something wrong. :lol:

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some DVDs and Blu-ray automatically start up instead of going to a menu screen. Not sure why you can't find episode select, but none of the reviews ever brought that up as an issue.

If you hurry up and watch all the episodes, season two begins next week. :)

4. Starbreaker

That should be no problem. No responsibilities for me other than a couple of hours of schoolwork. :lol:

I feel stupid. I finally found the pop up menu with the episode list.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  5. Finnegan

Finnegan Captain Captain

I've been beating the drum about Fringe to everybody I know since the debut episode--it's a great show, with superior writing, storytelling and acting. Why it's not already a smash hit is beyond me. The X-Files, remember, was quite low-rated in it's early years, before it was the cult hit that it would become. I think Fringe will have that kind of popularity and staying power....

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Plus it's got that very original concept of a hot female federal agent and her partner investigating pseudo-scientific or supernatural goings-on!

;)

7. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love the show, and watched the rerun of the S1's finale this week. Looking forward to the premiere of S2 on Thursday!

8. Starbreaker

And also episodic installments with an overall mythology. Never been done!

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna miss "Eleventh Hour." The blonde federal agent minding a scientific genius in that one was hotter than Anna Torv.

10. Starbreaker

I've watched the first 10 episodes in two days. I'm gonna be done Sunday night for sure because I'm addicted. Between this and NCIS it's like TV is brand new to me.

11. Worf2DS9

I loved that show too and was really disappointed it didn't get a 2nd season. If it gets a DVD release, I think I'll buy it just on principle.

12. Starbreaker

That show had decent ratings too. It would have been perfect for Friday nights.

13. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought the first season too. Since I had never seen any of it but friends had recommended it, I bought it blind. And so far I have burned through the first seven episodes and it is looking pretty good. I still have some reservations and most of the characters have yet to really grab me but the mythology is interesting. I am really intrigued to know more about Nina Sharp though. She needs to be on more.

As for the stories, I am not sure I would have stuck with the show if I had been watching while it aired. The first episode that really sucked me in and kept me was "The Arrival". After watching that one I wanted to know more. (I could have cared less about that cylinder though.) I also kind of liked "The Ghost Network" too. "Power Hungry" was fascinating!

Oh and I am playing "Find the Observer". Everyone has told me to watch for him in every episode!

And one last question, does anyone know if the symbols that flash up on screen between acts in the episodes are significant to anything? I know the leaf was on the door readout for the "Morgue" at Massive Dynamics but do the rest of them pop up anywhere? Am I reading to much into this because of my addiction to "Lost"?

14. Starbreaker

15. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Fascinating. I noticed that the dots kept moving and sometimes the glyphs rotated or flipped but I had no idea that they were letters!

16. Thinkey

Thinkey Ensign Red Shirt

BUWHAHA! You're too much LOL!

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I think I'm just enough!

;)

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Fringe doesn't really kick into gear until episode 10 ("Safe") - IMO. It is the first episode that gives you an idea of the greater scope of the show. The latter half of the season is better than the 1st half, even if it still is a bit uneven.

Other great episodes:
    - 11 ("Bound)
    - 13 ("Transformation")
    - 14 ("Ability")
    - and the season finale

19. Worf2DS9

In the group shots for Season 2, why the hell is Joshua Jackson in the front with Olivia & Walter somewhat further back? Shouldn't Anna Torv be the one more prominently featured?

20. Starbreaker

Ability was the real selling point for me on this show. I'm on episode 17 right now and should finish tonight.