'Paranormal Activity 3' Gets 2011 Release Date!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Nov 18, 2010.

1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I think there will be a Paranormal Activity 4. I think there will be as many as they can make, until people get tired of them. With the PA films being made so cheaply they don't have to make a lot at the box office to be hits, and the first two raked in massive bucks.

I can't really answer your question because there's a hole in the story for me since I didn't see #2. I wasn't even sure at first that they were supposed to connected, but I found that out early in the film that the film is connected. When I was walking out, I overheard a woman saying that the third film is actually a prequel, but I don't know if that's true or not, though it probably was. To be honest, I wasn't that much into the first one where I remembered the characters names, so I don't know really know the extent of how much the first and third films are connected.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes the third film was designed to be a prequel and show the origin of the entity how it attached it's self to the sisters in the first place and connects to the second one and ultimately the first. I've been expecting a fourth one to wrap up the first story line. There have been fan suggestions that they could just continue this as a franchise since it continues to make money each year.

3. DarKush

^
    Thanks for the clarification. I wish I had known that going in, I might have liked it better. I guess some of your questions will be answered in PA 3, but they have definitely have left enough space for sequels. As I posted before I think there will be sequels until they get a significant drop off in audience interest, like with what happened to the once red hot SAW films.

4. Admiral_Young

^ I agree even though I wouldn't really like that. There is a Japanese version called Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Drift that came out a couple of years ago showing that you could just do these with new characters and stories. I haven't seen it or have any desire to but I suspect this will happen if this one makes money. I saw that it made 8 million at it's Thursday midnight showing. It's probably going to win the weekend.

5. DarKush

6. DarKush

Since I hadn't seen the second one and forgot that someone had told me a relative of the people in the first movie was involved, I actually thought that it was a completely new set of characters. I think it is an interesting choice making the franchise about the characters rather than the evil entity. Most horror franchises are based around the monster, giving them leeway to just bring in new characters. Or that character(s) who continues to escape their clutches.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie last night and was impressed. If for nothing else than it gives the necessary backstory of the demon(Tobey) connection to the family. It also raises the question(unless I missed it) of what happened to the girls biological dad? I have my suspicions seeing as how things went in this movie.

The next movie has to move forward, a direct sequel to pt.2, cause there is no more viable recording one could do going any further back in time. I feel you almost have to bring in a third party, cops?, in a type of filming the search for Katie(possessed) with Hunter.

8. Admiral_Young

I agree it is time to wrap up the original story arc and Ali get her sister back and vanquish the demon, either saving Katie and their family in the process or resulting in a tragic ending which I could see as well. The film implies what happens to the men in Katie and Kristi's family quite well. I was impressed with the origin of the demon...and I kind of predicted how it originally attached its self to the family in the first place. I did think the movie had some goofy moments like the previous one did but overall it was an improvement over the first one and I have to give a lot of credit to the directors who were perfect choices for this film. For those that don't know the directors directed the awesome and some what controversial documentary last year called "Catfish" which I highly recommend seeing.

9. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still haven't seen it yet and basing this off the end of PA 2, but I think it would be interesting, although maybe a little pretentious if the directors brought themselves into it like they did in Catfish and extended the story in a meta kind of way being they were the ones who found the footage and put the documentary together. Now they're further investigating and searching for the demon. But yeah totally retreading a bunch of these kinds of movies in addiion to the aforementione Catfish and I guess you could add the upcoming Human Centipede 2.

10. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Super 8? :techman:
    Now THAT would be hard to watch...

11. Captain Craig

^^^
    That thought did cross my mind but what are the odds that the biological dad would ALSO be into the 'recording fad'. Setting up 8mm or 16mm film about the house just starts to make it all seem contrived. Even then the girls would likely be infants or toddlers who would the action center on then Julie? Lois babysitting when the coven drops by?
    Any further back pre-70s and there just isn't a commercially viable recording system to continue with the saga's gimmick.

As for moving forward I can't see how you don't bring in a third party investigating the deaths that occurred in pt.2. With our media savvy culture that follows missing baby cases of the bizarre this could work easily and in a believable manner, imo.

12. Admiral_Young

Yep. I have had fan fic ideas for both police involvement and media coverage for a fourth one. Originally it was for Paranormal Activity 3 continuing the story from two but I've kind of since pushed it to a fourth movie. The involvement of "outsiders" would bring an epic feel to the franchise that I don't know is right for it if that make sense. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

13. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ I can see it working.... Kind of like one of the ideas proposed for Cloverfield 2?... A mix of mini-cams from soldiers' helmets, police dash-cam video and news footage...

Dash-cam video is getting better and better these days, so it would be believable to see more high-def footage rather than the "World's Most Dangerous Police Chase" crap from a few years ago.

Just as long as they don't try to make an actual "movie" out of it, ala Blair Witch 2...

14. Admiral_Young

^ They've promised that they will avoid the mistakes that Blair Witch 2 made...this was made before 2 came out and I think they've adhered to it. I think the secret to their success is that they continue to shoot with a low budget and keep it relatively self contained. It will be difficult and tempting I think if they wrap up the Demon Katie arc to go beyond this simple formula and make it epic but I could see it happening.

15. Captain Craig

I was talking to a friend today and my thought is I really don't see anything past a PA4 with this family? What with Katie being the last 'known' surving member.
    I really would have zero interest in a PA5 where the demon just jumps to a new family. IMO, the 'filming' schtick is tied to this family and it strains what credibility the concept has to offer beyond that.

16. Admiral_Young

Same. A lot of hardcore fans feel that way it seems. At least ones I want to...but as long as these movies continue make money Oren Peli and company will bust out a new story. The fans are a huge part of the success of these films and if they don't want to piss us off I think they'll resolve this original story.

17. Captain Craig

I found this link over at BOM and the link FULLY lays out the plot points in ALL 3 films to date. I've only seen each movie once so I enjoyed the summary and there were little moments I had forgotten that are important, or potentially important. There clearly are some discrepancies but nothing so severe that it couldn't be waiting for sequels to fill in the gaps or clarify the discrepancies.

It even mentions 2 things I missed in PA3 and I can now see how if handled correctly there could at least be a PA4 and PA5.

SPOILERS at that link. If you haven't seen the films then DON'T read the link.

18. Admiral_Young

Very nice find Captain Craig. Will have to read this when I come back home later tonight. I do feel like 4 should wrap up the original arc before moving on to anything else.

19. Captain Craig

Curious on your thoughts once you read it Admiral.
    I to was of the opinion a 4th should wrap it up but after reading all the points in the link can see where at least two more films could work.

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Spoilers...

Well I just saw it today. Yeah, I've just gone back and watched that full trailer near the start of this thread. Ha, pretty much all of it isn't in the film!
    I wonder if they were just filmed to lure us in, or are gonna be deleted scenes on the DVD, or on an Extended/directors cut thing

As for the movie, yeah, loved it. I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet here...

The Oscillating Fan!!!

:eek: curse that thing. I could barely watch every time it would pan round :D

Anyone else feel the ending was a little too close to last year's The Last Exorcism too? What with the twist of the devil worshippers, standing round a bonfire, etc

I'd also give the two girls kudos for some great performances, especially the little one.

Oh and I liked the two guys talking about what the 'upcoming' Back to the Future sequel should be called
    "Back to the Present"
    "No, Back to the Past" :lol:

And one more thing, that babysitter was hotttt. Especially in her 80s getup.

Roll on part 4