College Football 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by B.J., Aug 28, 2013.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Well he is going to get another shot this year with an extremely talented team. I would think Kiffin would be wearing out his grace period if he can't get this team to win.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

So much to talk about.

My Jacksonville State University Gamecocks beat the Alabama State University Hornets in a 24-22 win last night after a rain delay. I got caught in a torrential downpour and spent the entire game soaking wet. It was worth it though, The score was ASU 6 - JSU 0 at the half. JSU then switched quarterback and immediately scored three touchdowns and a field goal in 10 minutes to open the 3rd and seal the win. It was close near the end, though.

#5 Clemson gets to brag about beating #8 Georgia. If UGA loses to South Carolina next week, their season is effectively over. We'll see.

Boise State is not good.

FCS schools get some wins over notable FBS schools including:
    Eastern Washington over Oregon State
    North Dakota State over Kansas State
    4 others

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least Cal didn't embarrass themselves last night, but there were some really crappy decisions that went on. Also, I don't like the new harshness on targeting players. It's too subjective, and any decision can change the complexion of the game. The Cal player who got ejected didn't look like he was targeting, just playing football. I understand the need for hits to the head and I respect that, but when are we no longer going to see "football" because of these rules. When is it just going to be two hand touch or flag football. The defense has to play, just like the offense.

4. Use of Time

I saw that too. That kind of call is going to end up getting made in a high visibility game down the road and piss off a lot of people. Just a matter of time.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that is my main problem with the rule. What if this happened in a big bowl game, or the National Championship game. Heck, we have playoffs on the way, what about one of those games. I think these rules committees need to go back and get a more concrete definition of the rule, and take the subjectivity out of it. They want to protect players and stop hits to the head, fine. Just don't put too much power in the official's hands.

6. Use of Time

Not that I had much faith in the Hokies against Bama anyway but the Tide didn't really look all that dominant on the offensive side of the ball. The Hokies pretty much handed them 21 points on special teams with a pick six thrown in as well. In terms of straight up offense and defense the game wasn't all that lopsided. The SEC is going to be a challenge for them this year if that is what they have to offer. McCarron was under 50% completing passes and they gave up over 130 yards on the ground to a first year starting running back from VT.

That being said it is only week 1 and Saban will no doubt adjust accordingly.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I was also underwhelmed by the product on the field from Alabama. Nothing seemed to gel, which isn't what Saban is used to considering he typically performs above standard in games where he has plenty of time to prepare. The offensive line (largely brand new) probably had a lot to do with the troubles, as I noticed numerous hurries by McCarron and Yeldon seemed to have trouble getting through the LOS. But in open space outside the tackle box, everything else was typical Bama. The defense looked stifling, and obviously special teams were a win.

Almost feel guilty saying that a 35-10 victory wasn't good enough.

The line is going to need to improve for the team to have success this season.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think that victory was good enough. Alabama has line problems. If anything costs them a three-peat, it will be that.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!

:scream:

I hate being right on this one, but I said before USC has "serious problems" at the QB spot, and that could not have been more evident last night. Losing at home? To Washington State? This is a new low. Both QB's stunk up the place.

When your defense gives up 3 points, you expect to win the game. That was just...I can't think of the word...Charles?

[​IMG]

Long season indeed...

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Yahoo Sports has damning evidence of 5 SEC players receiving improper benefits - including Alabama OL DJ Fluker
    Couple this with the Oklahoma St series in Sports Illustrated and these are not exactly golden times for college football. The difference with the Yahoo Sports report is that it contains actual physical documentation whereas the Okla St story evidence is made more of former players snitching on former teammates and coaches (Les Miles anyone?).

11. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a TN Vols fan, I must first say that I am enjoying Kiffin's struggles immensely. Secondly, that report for improper benefits, that might suck for us down the road. We've already had our probation extended.

But for now, I'm stoked at how competent our D has looked (I know, inferior competition, but under Dooley even the pushovers gave us fits in some aspects) and I am concerned about Worley's ability. However I like the direction Jones is taking the team and it should be interesting to see how we handle Oregon on Saturday.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really looking forward to Saturday's game against the Tide. This one will pretty much define our whole season, I'm thinking. :)

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gig 'em! :techman:

(< Lots o' Aggie relatives)

14. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been waging a war on FB against a cousin who roots for some perverse combination of many texas college teams plus the gators and auburn I suspect she was dropped on her head from a great height as a child

15. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Roll Tide, homies.

16. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, Colorado State is going up against Alabama next week. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Poor Rams are going to be slaughtered. :(

KM, an unhappy CSU grad.

17. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

So... tangent... What the hell is going on with the Pride of Oklahoma and their new band director?

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Looks like USC has found it's quarterback...

:lol:

Johnny Football came up short, and UCLA won a big emotional victory at Nebraska. I despise them of course, but under the circumstances it was a compelling story today.

19. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Alabama and A&M combined for nearly 1200 yds of offense, something I never thought I'd see from these two teams. OSU and Cal had over 1100 combined, which I could easily see happening. Defenses... where were you today?!

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Alabama might still be the best team in college football and they're helped by a schedule that isn't quite as tough as last year (particularly their SEC games), but this week and last week showed that they're a flawed team compared to last year. I could see them making a mistake and losing a game they shouldn't have, which would cost them their three-peat.