The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. flobo

flobo Ensign Newbie

I really liked this movie. The only complain i have is that we will have to wait 2 years for the next one.
    The federation is weakened by the loss of vulcan and all of the federation enemies are back in a position of power. I'd prefer a series to deal with them, because with a movie every two years, it'll take centuries.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

As a self-respecting viewer and fan of this franchise, I demand to not have my intelligence insulted on a regular basis! That good enough for ya, Sparky!?!

3. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

BTW if Roddenberry had the choice Trek dies in 1969. Fans are why it stuck around.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, you do not. You fear it, but you don't know it.

As I said, you don't know it. You fear it and all it represents. Change.

J.

5. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're not a real Star Trek fan.

6. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Get off my lawn!

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

9. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Cause it's the truth.

You seem to operate from the assumption that you are somehow intellectually superior to everyone on this board, and that because of that, you, and you alone, are the only person who knows how and why these shows were made.

You're wrong. You act like you were there. You weren't. People are citing sources showing how you are wrong, but you blow them off because dammit don't let facts get in the way of your vendetta.

10. Captain Robert April

Define "real Star Trek fan", bub.

11. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not you?

12. Amaris

Why should he have to? You define it everywhere you go with how you treat people who think differently than you. "Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik."

J.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I went and saw it again tonight -I still must see this in IMAX- and I've got to say I just really enjoy and love this movie, I think the whole cast does well with their parts and in watching again the Engineering "sets" sat better with me. I could "reason" that the vats Krik and Scotty run past are the antimatter tanks in the deep bowels, or something. I wish they hadn't used a friggin' brewery for these "sets" but I'm alright with it.

I'm also, as I said in my review, OK with contnuity taking it in the ass and these very young characters being on the ship in the positions they're "not supposed to have" for a few more years. I'll take this as a whole new universe. I'm... "fine" with that.

What matters to me is that this movie is fun, entertaining, and well made (except for all of the god-damn LENS FLARES!!!) I enjoyed the reuse of the original theme over the first bit of the ending credits but I kind of wish they had Pine do the "Space the final frontier..." narration.

Really this is a good, fun, Star Trek movie the way it was meant to me and as I also said above, feels a lot more like the TOS cast and crew than the real one's OWN first movie did.

I'm sitting here watching "The Naked Time" right now.

And I know he's taken some heat, but I really did love Chekov in this. There's just something about the over-the-topness of his accent. I just wish they had him incorrectly attribute something to Russia. ;)

I also kind of wish the Amok Time theme had been used in one of the fights in the movie. (One of the fight scenes had music that sounded vaugely similar to it, but I would've liked something a lot more obvious, I guess.)

Really this movie is a fun, excellent ride.

I maintain my "A" grade I gave it above (though I voted Excellent in this forum's poll) the only thing keeping it from an A+ is the destruction of Vulcan, the rape of canon, and the Enterprise's design look and other technichal aspects. Basically fan nonsense knocked this down a partial letter grade.

But all of these actors really did a great, great job with the characters. I mean, fantastic. My favorites are probably Chekov, McCoy and Scotty.

Though Spock, Sulu and Kirk were really, really well done too. (I don't think Pine quite "had" Shatner. But who really does?)

The only one I didn't completely "buy" was Uhura who a lot more exotic, womanly, mysteriousness to her than potrayed here.

But, man, this movie is just really fantastic. I've GOT to see this in IMAX! I would've tonight but they were all sold out! (Except the 10p show which is too late for me. But at 2:00 the 7 show was sold out!)

Great, great, movie. I can't say that enough.

Trekker, will still bitch about the "fan stuff" and other quibbles in the other threads, though. ;)

14. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

No, it's not good enough. Not at all. Fans who make demands of people in the creative arts are pathetic. You act as if being entertained is a right, and that Star Trek is not living up to your demands. How dare you. If you're not happy with Star Trek in its current incarnation then simply walk away. Star Trek owes you nothing.

This thread is 55 pages long and you're throughout the bulk of it, bad-mouthing a film you haven't seen. Opinions have to be earned if they're to carry authority, and by your own admission you've earned zero. Your impotent rants have become quite tiresome.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  15. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This part is not really accurate. He was not a "part-time journeyman TV writer". Although a freelance writer for a long time, he wrote pretty much constantly for TV from 1954 up to Star Trek. I wish I could write as many scripts as he did in only 10 years.

16. Captain Robert April

He made the accusation. I want a definition of terms.

17. Amaris

Hey, I like Chekov too. He's a bit more endearing to me than Walter Koening was with the original characterization. I love his eagerness to serve. He's a lot of fun, and yes, if he'd have made some terribly inaccurate claim of Russian ingenuity, I would have loved it, too. :lol:

J.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd argue that this movie was done to "rope in" new casual fans. People who'll want to pop into the theater once every couple years to revisit this cast and universe. Or maybe get them interested in Trek, have them watch the reruns and/or DVDs and THEN get them roped into the bigger aspects of Trek.

Perhaps now that "he's got them" the next one will have a bigger, deeper storyline. This was the good, pure, uncut stuff the pusher gives you to get you pulled in. The next movie can be the stuff cut with plot and drama. ;)

19. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

CRA, that is about enough of this sort of comment.

Referring to a whole group of other fans as "Kool-Aid drinkers", simply because they do not agree with YOU is WAY out of line.

And your comments made in posts after this are not much better. Like this one for example:

And this one:

I want you to STOP attacking other fans immediately. You have a beef with the film, you can post it, but you cannot attack or participate in name-calling toward other fans for their beliefs, likes and/or dislikes.

And to emphasize that point, you have a warning for trolling.

This weekend, there is zero tolerance for this sort of stuff in this forum.

Play nice, or be kicked out of the sandbox.

20. Captain Robert April

I DID SEE IT! READ MY REVIEW AND GET YOUR FUCKING FACTS STRAIGHT!