HEROES 3x08 "Villains" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 10, 2008.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

32.9%
  2. Above average

34.2%
  3. Average

23.7%
  4. Below average

6.6%
  5. Poor

2.6%
  1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point about Arthur's death. It was a while before the start of Season 1.

I like the look back at the past but I would rather Sylar chose to be evil than he was manipulated. That makes his redemption far more interesting.

2. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

I don't think the flashbacks are all in the same time period.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Another continuity glitch--in Season 1, wasn't the "real" cause of Arthur's death supposed to have been suicide, and Nathan was in on that story?

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

So, is he taking Hiro's powers now? Or is he doing something else?

5. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

Could just be ripping his head off?

Though I have a feeling that Arthur's power-sucks aren't entirely permenant...after all, he seemed to have Maury's power...

6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

now Hiro's powerless too... yep from that preview-I think everyone's getting their powers reset.

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman: Great episode! This was definitely the best one so far this season, although I'm always a sucker for the flashback ones. :D

8. DarthPipes

According to Angela, the real cause was suicide but there's definitely some wiggle room there.

Poor African Issac. :(

Not a bad episode tonight. I liked the return to Season 1. Though again, I'd rather Sylar made the decision to be evil instead of him being manipulated or having "the hunger" It makes his redemption must more compelling.

The last scene with Arthur was awesome but I find him to be a very one-dimensional bad guy.

9. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

The ending was awesome!

Filling in some of the holes was neat. Not too bad an episode.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

But wasn't Nathan "in on" the supposed suicide? Didn't Peter confront Nathan about not telling him? Here we see Nathan thinking it really was a heart attack.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That was an excellent episode, it really answered a lot of questions about the past, and I really like Arthur Petrelli as the villain. And there were so many returning old villains and S1 continuity bits! Nice.

I'm really pissed they killed the African seer though, I really liked that guy! He was one of my three favorite new characters (Daphe, Arthur). I was hoping he would join the main cast.

12. DarthPipes

Claire has another uncle. Uncle Flint. Uncle Peter, Uncle Sylar, and Uncle Flint...all psychos and morons.

13. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Well, I give this episode an Average rating.

"Meh" is how I sum up this episode. Really, there wasn't anything really new or surprising except for Linderman's morality by curing Angela and HRG being the guy who made Sylar bad. The HRG thing I predicted right when I saw him and Elle observing Sylar, but I have to admit it makes sense that HRG is the one who had a hand in Sylar turning evil, as it explains why he's so angry with Sylar and what he did to Claire.

But nothing really happened in this episode, and I don't like that Hiro's powers seem to be completely drained at the end of this episode. Arthur Petrelli is just not that interesting of a villain to me. When we first got introduced to him this season, I was intrigued, but he's turned out so one-dimensionally evil.

14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I wonder how Arthur got the drop on African Isaac, he seemed to always know what Hiro was doing and Hiro could jump through time.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Goodbye Usutsu

well he'll never be head of a major company. That's no way to get ahead in life

16. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I was wondering that as well.

17. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

That didn't do HRG any favors, did it? Interesting episode, but my interest is waning. Angela, Nathan, Peter.....maybe just Angela and Nathan were all that piqued my interest. So Arthur really tried to do Nathan in? Cool. Even Sylar seemed boring tonight. It's not really a redemption if he was manipulated into it all.

18. DarthPipes

Here's my full review...

didn't think this episode was bad. It was cool to revisit the first season. But the retconning drove me crazy. This episode seemed to be trying to piss on everything that made the first season so good.

Especially with Sylar. So far we have learned in Season 3 that the reason he kills is because of "the hunger" and that he was manipulated by HRG. Sylar was awesome because he was so badass and he was proud of it. I'd rather Sylar made the decision to be evil instead of him being manipulated or having "the hunger" It makes his redemption much more compelling. But TPTB are attempting to sugarcoat his bloody past.

I liked Kristen Bell as Elle but this wasn't her character. The Elle we were introduced too in Season 2 was almost completely unhinged. She killed a guy with little provocation. She didn't worry about the soul. She's normal and nice here. I realize that HRG was a lot more morally ambigious when we first met him but seriously, he just let Sylar kill people and didn't do anything? The Company wanted proof of Sylar killing people...like probable cause has ever been a reason for them to snatch the superpowered. I always assumed Sylar came out of nowhere. But no, they knew about him all along.

I'm sorry but I find Arthur Petrelli to be very one-dimensional. There's nothing unique or charismatic about him. Robert Forster has portrayed him only one way. Dull and bland.

His scene at the end though was pretty cool. I'm sorry that African Issac was killed. He was killed.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Well.
    Not much happened. Except Hiro discovering something we all knew for like 4 episodes: that Arthur is alive. Big fucking whoop.
    And as far as filling in the holes...it just made the universe feel SOOO small.
    Claire with ANOTHER uncle?
    Her mom was the cause of the train fire?
    Elle and HRG made Sylar go bad? (which is INCREDIBLY lame.)
    And of course as soon as Arthur said, Well, I guess Nathan is going to have to die, I was WAY ahead of them with the car wreck.

This is what I would call a pot (not plot) filling episode. Needless things answered, that really weren't questions.

We are more than half way through this volume and not much has happened besides little things. It's been about the villians getting together....it's a 12 episode ORIGIN story.

And hell, this episode didn't need Hiro as a framing device AT ALL.

Basically, it was an hour of exposition...for stuff that happened TWO YEARS ago. It doesn't add to the CURRENT story...not that there's much going on with that.

Thank god they've fired some of the producers, perhaps there is hope for the next volume.

20. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

boy are they, its lame just how badly they want you to feel sorry for him now.

EDIT: another frustrating thing, they never got into why the Petrellis gave up Gabriel.