Episode 8, "Miri"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Nine of Four, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

The planet is shown to look exactly like Earth, there are humans, and the architecture and technology is exactly like that of Earth in the 1960's. Kirk even says, "Not the Earth, another Earth........ Another Earth?". Yet that is never explained.

-:borg:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And?

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I've been thinking that they didn't really need to make the planet in Miri identical to Earth.
    It could have easily been an Earth colony or an alien planet without changing the story too much.

However I think they wanted to make a message about science going out-of-control on Earth. If it were an alien culture then the message would have less impact. We could think we'd never do anything as stupid as that.

Of course in hindsight its ridiculous to have an 'identical' Earth.

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Nor is it ever mentioned again. The whole "duplicate Earth" thing was just a cheap hook to get viewers to stay tuned and watch the episode.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

"Miri" was also one of the first episodes to present Roddenberry's concept of parallel cultural development, which was just an excuse to use existing sets and costumes in studio assets. Perhaps they were still trying to figure out how to present the parallel concept. The physically identical planet was a bit of a stretch, just like the word-for-word "We the people" documents and star-spangled banner in "Omega Glory".

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The parallel concept in Miri never bothered me. I always thought it was due to limitations of the budget. They had to explain why the planet looked like earth both on the ground and from space.

A bit of trivia for you: The scene in the picture I have posted on Miri's planet is actually the set from The Andy Griffith Show. You can see Sheriff Andy Taylor's court house on the left hand side of the picture.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The thing I didn't care for about the show was the annoying kids that were yelling "bonk, bonk."

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Goober has his work cut out for him with all those broken down cars.

8. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Thanks for mentioning 'episode 8' or else I wouldn't have known which episode 'Miri' refers to.

9. Melakon

It's also in "City on the Edge of Forever" (Kirk and Edith walk past Floyd's Barber Shop), "Return of the Archons", and others. That's the famous "40 Acres" backlot, with several buildings constructed for Gone with the Wind.

http://www.retroweb.com/40acres.html

10. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That makes sense. I will have to look for those things when I watch those episodes.

11. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. Nine of Four

That is true. And we are talking about The Original Series here, which honestly wasn't known to have extreme amounts of continuity.

13. Grant

14. Nine of Four

You're welcome.

15. Grant

May I ask when we will get a thread about episode 9--which has always been one of my most fondly remembered episodes?

16. Melakon

Maybe he's suggesting posters should search the entire board before posting a new thread, even if that thread is years old. I usually just check to make sure it's not listed within an individual section's 2 or 3 pages of recent threads.

17. Grant

Yeah, i just take my chances. I post a new thread and if there is a similar recent thread I just expect someone will poke me and say so.

18. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Hogan's Heroes and Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. were filmed there in the '60s too. Sadly, the 40 Acres back lot was sold and has been an office industrial park for three decades. :sigh: It suffered the same fate as the M.G.M. back lot back in the '70s.

19. Nine of Four

It has always been one of my favorites as well.

20. Melakon

That link I posted to the backlot shows aerial views of Hogan's Stalag 13 and Gomer's Marine barracks.

I do miss backlots; I've only visited Universal City (in 1967, before it became an amusement park), Old Tucson Studios (before the big fire in the 90s), and a small independent backlot near me run by a stuntman (Ron Nix).