NIGHT WATCH/DAY WATCH - Timur Bekmambetov

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by rramarr, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

I just viewed the first two parts of the Russian trilogy Night Watch, Day Watch, and Twilight Watch to be released next year if not this fall:techman:. Directed by Timur Bekmambetov. I found the series very interesting in a twist on evil vampires, other dimensions, and shiftshapers. The main characters are a group of mutants or special people called The Others (good/light and bad/dark), and the Great One who would bring balance or tip the scales of good and evil. The story evolves around a man (Khabensky) who serves in the war between the forces of Light and Dark comes into possession of a device that can restore life to Moscow, which was nearly destroyed by an apocalyptic event.

Russians says this movie is their The Matrix. I couldn't see the comparison for the storyline was too different and the cinematography did not include bullet timing or framing technology. What did you think about it? Did anyone read the Sergei Lukyanenko books from which the movie was based?

2. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Matrix? The russians that said it might have suffered from a very bad hangover - there's nothing similar between Matrix and Night/Day Watch.

I liked both movies - good stories, good acting, decent effects. I've also read Night Watch few years ago and liked it.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I'm actually re-reading the Night/Day/Twilight Watch right now - some of my favourite books ever. I heard the films are quite detached from the books though?

4. ZERO_of_ZERO

ZERO_of_ZERO Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nothing like The Matrix .... at all.

Each book has 3 parts/continuing stories, and the films only borrow from I think one part of each.
    Certain fundamental ideas are changed also.

After watching the film Day Watch and how it differed from the book, I wonder how they can continue with an adaptation of the Twilight Watch, which can be much related to the book.

The films are very good as are the books, and I still need to read the final? book: The Last Watch.

5. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

It's their Matrix in the sense that it redefined action movies in Russia. Just like The Matrix did in Spring 1999. See it as a new high to reach.

6. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I'm waiting to hear confirmation that all the copies that are missing a whole chapter have been replaced with the new edition before I read that one.

I'll give the films a chance in the meantime...

7. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw the first movie late one night and really enjoyed. After that I bought the three books and loved those. I thought it was interesting that they were very close to the espionage type novels which was different from most handling of supernatural organizations.

The last line of The Last Watch seems to suggest another book. There are apparently a couple of short stories by other writers in the same universe.

Anybody know anything about Twilight Watch the movie?

8. blablover5

blablover5 Admiral Admiral

I've heard nothing but bad things about Twilight Watch. All different english actors, different directors. Doesn't look good.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the first movie, but didn't care too much for the second one. I'm afraid the third one will be too wildly different to even bother.

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The thing I love about Bekmambetov is that he feels absolutely ZERO fidelity towards the laws of physics or even the laws of movie-physics. His movies are just jam packed with impossible, implausible shit that just looks badass! (Have him direct Samuel L. Jackson in a Quentin Tarantino script, and I think the universe might just implode from the new imbalance in the style:substance ratio.)

As for Night Watch & Day Watch, I liked them both. However, I felt that Night Watch got too bogged down in dense, ponderous philosophy right at the end when it needed less talk & more movement.

11. rramarr

I hope you are wrong about that. I've haven't seen anything that would suggest Timur would not continue with the trilogy outside of diverting to direct Wanted. The right English actors could pull it off great as long as Bekmambetov stayed on board. I'm hopeful enough... besides the English overdubbing sucks and who wants to read subtitles again. I can see someone like John Woo getting involved with this or even the Wachowski Brothers or Brothers Strause putting in a great effort on this one if not Timur.

12. rramarr

Night Watch and Day Watch both on IFC tonight!!

13. Roberto

Roberto Lieutenant Red Shirt

I watched these movies a few months ago on DVD and I was bored to death.
    Two thumbs down.....way down!

14. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just viewed Night Watch this evening, and it was certainly... different. Kind of interesting, although I will admit there were a few parts that confused me.

The visual style was fairly unique -- it kept my interest at any rate. The implausibility of many of the sequences didn't bother me, but some of them did seem a bit indulgent and perplexing.

I got a slight chuckle out of the kid watching Buffy in Russian.

Overall, I think I'll give Day Watch a try at some point, but I'm not in any hurry.