Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by tmosler, Jan 22, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember reading a little bit ago that Ronald D. Moore was thinking about making a new star trek tv show. So my question is has anyone heard any updates on this?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He wasn't so there isn't.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sadly, I see the Trek franchise slowly fading away. The novelverse can't keep going on forever, and the Nuverse will only be good for a movie every 2-3 years as long as it stays popular. Maybe five or six movies or so going by precedent of the TOS and TNG movie runs. I just don't think there's enough of an audience to sustain a new series either. Sci-fi shows are way more expensive and who would want to foot a bill for that when there are a hundred other channels competing and you can churn out a new reality show that costs next to nothing?

4. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I disagree, R. Star. I think Trek might wane for a while, but the IP is too valuable to stay dormant for too long.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Trek isn't going away. The stage is set for it to be reinvented/rebooted periodically like other long-running properties.

20 years from now--if not much sooner--yet another person will be cast as Captain Kirk as TOS is remade again for a new generation of fans, IMO.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is far too big a brand name to ever fade away, especially with JJ Abrams keeping it fresh on everyone's minds and proving it can still make big bucks, NBC just tried to revive The Munsters and now there's talk of a new Twilight Zone revival. Star Trek is definitely a bigger name than either of those (tho in the case of TZ, it's a closer call.)

The major holdup is not the power of the Star Trek brand but the difficulty of making live action space opera work financially on TV, plus the lack of any reason for CBS to be interested until someone with clout makes a pitch to them. When Orci makes his pitch, then maybe we'll see some activity.

7. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There have been proposals/rumors from tons of big names:

- J Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5)

- Bryan Singer (X-Men, House MD)

- Ronald D Moore
    (Deep Space Nine, Battlestar Galactica)

- Sam Raimi (Xena: Warrior Princess, Spartacus: Blood and Sand)

- Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, American Dad)

Out of those, I know Seth MacFarlane understands and loves Star Trek, J Michael Straczynski created a masterpiece of sci-fi, but might not be suitable for Trek's style, Bryan Singer helped create House, which has the ideal format for a new episodic Trek series, and Sam Raimi has done some good TV over the years.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

ST has ben off TV for what 8 years?

Prior to that it was off TV (live action) for 18 or so years.

ST will no doubt return to TV at some point, in some ways the longer it is off the better.

As it would make it's return to TV an event instead of what was happening with VOY and ENT and to a lesser extent DSN. Where some of the audiance might be thinking another Trek show (not in a good way).

Not a direct analogy I know(and other factors have to be considered), but DW the other big TV franchise went off air for virtually 16 years (aside from 1 TV Movie), it now takes pride of place on the BBC's Saturday line-up when it airs.

Remember TV execs come and go, maybe the current crop aren' too keen on doing a new ST show, but in a few years time they might be gone, and replaced by those who grew up on the likes of TNG and want to do another one.

9. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Trek is nothing until someone defines it. If 18 years of Berman crap wasn't enough to kill it, nothing will. Now we have something akin to Riddick on a starship. It used to be about mind bending stories, but Trek is still an undefined ambigeous universe until it's done well.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Nothing substantial enough to even be a rumor.

11. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI

:techman:

And cast my vote for Straczynski as new producer. B5 was amazing!

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like how the Berman Bashing continues, that never gets old... not at all.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Mind bending stories??????

Hey, I love Star Trek. It had some solid, very entertaining stories. But mind bending is not a phrase that leaps to mind when I think about the stories it told.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Keep Straczynski away from Star Trek.

They will, of course.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I would too, but then I remember Crusade and Rangers and then...not so much.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

One word: Crusade.

:ack:

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Straczynski is as good as he used to be, but even if he were, he is an iconoclast, one that Star Trek fans would learn to hate very quickly if he were the showrunner.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I can think of one thing that would improve many shows,

"Network execs should for the most part let the writers/producers etc.. get on with making the show rather than interfere in the production of a show.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Crusade was sabotaged by TNT

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Moore isn't any better, what with his constant harping on "challinging assumptions" nonsense. That seems to be all the man is interested in, rather than, you know, actually writing stories based on whatever show he works on.