Humanoid Sexuality in TrekLit (Minor Spoilers for VGD: Declassified)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by starri, Jul 9, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Humanoid Sexuality in TrekLit (Minor Spoilers for VGD: Declassifie

I liked what we saw of them, so I'm hoping they're still around post time jump. How long would it take for a nurse to become a Doctor? Because there should be an opening for a new Doctor now that Tarses is on the Aventine.

2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That assumes that a nurse would want to become a doctor. She might be perfectly happy being a nurse. It's not like "nurse" is just the apprentice position to "doctor."

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Quite right. A nurse isn't a wannabe doctor any more than, say, a drummer is a wannabe lead guitarist. They're complementary roles, different specializations within a team. Things like Nurse Chapel becoming a doctor before TMP, or Nurse Ogawa becoming a doctor by Indistinguishable from Magic, are exceptions.

And presumably it would take as long for a nurse to become a doctor as it would be for anyone else, though I suppose there would probably be a fair number of courses in nurse's training that would also count toward an MD.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't mean to imply that all nurses would want to be doctors, and if it came across that way I apologize. With all of the medical problems I've had, I've actually developed a great deal of respect for nurses. They really have to deal with a hell of alot more crap than doctors do.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Backtracking to earlier in the thread to Andorians (sorry), exactly how do they reproduce ?

I am not trying for titilation here - just the biology. If there are two male(ish) and two female(ish) sexes, how does the (4 lots of ?) genetic information get passed on, fertilisation occur and the foetus grow, and where ?

When a Chan and a Thaan and a Zhen and a Shen love each other very much...

6. sfroth

sfroth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian_Genders

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

fwiw, as a straight guy, i've never thought there was any malice in any depictions of LGBT characters in Trek lit. i also thought it was blindingly obvious the reason why T'Prynn rejected Sten was cuz she was a lesbian. subtext shmubtext. it's right there in the text. she's a lesbo, she's not interested in sten. she rejects the union. to me, it couldn't have been more obvious if it had been written in neon letters 10 feet high.

and, since i've skimmed some of the thread i might've missed this, but regarding gay Kingons, Enemy Territory established that there were 2 male Klingons having a relationship on the Gorkon and that one of those was married - possibly to a female. i remember the character who was told of the relationship knew he had a 'mate' back home, but IIRC, it was ambivalent if it was a female or male.

8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I vaguely recall, the shen creates the initial gamete, a quarter of the necessary genetic material. The thaan and chan both fertilize the shen, adding their quarters. Then the shen passes the fertilized gamete on to the zhen, who adds the last quarter and carries the fetus to term.

Which does tend to adhere to what I was complaining about earlier - to wit, boy-girl action fine, girl-girl action fine, but boy-boy action a no-no. And yes, I realise I'm reading too much into it.

(Aside: Memory Beta is inconsistent - it states that all four gametes are necessary to conceive, but that the zhen contributes no genetic material to the fetus. It can't be both.)

9. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Species 8472 has 5 genders, can anyone explain the biology behind that?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Is it five genders or five sexes? Sexes are biological variations differentiated by their reproductive anatomy. Genders are socially defined categories which basically relate to sexuality but are not necessarily isomorphic with the sexes. There are some human cultures that define a third gender in addition to the two biological sexes (like the Hijras of India, biological males who adopt a feminine role). So a society with five genders could have a smaller number of reproductive sexes.

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

mem alpha says five sexes.

12. Andy Mangels

Andy Mangels Writer Red Shirt

Interesting show, though the gay discussion from this forum took about 50 minutes to get to.

I just finished it, and am amused that the most uncomfortable moments come from Nick's discussion of the way he perceives my attitude in my postings (as opposed to anything I actually say). Apparently the "feces hit the nacelles" and other such comments show how angry I am all the time. :rommie:

David Mack - there's a question for you at 2:09

Funny too that on the webpage, the Google tags for the episode mention Michael A. Martin -- who I don't think is mentioned by name, though his new book is -- whereas I'm not. But Nick did pronounce my name right — and Ranul Keru's name — so awards for that.

And you've both got good voices for podcast. (Wait, how can I make that sound angrier?) You've both got DAMN good voices for podcast. :klingon:

13. Nick M

Nick M Lieutenant Red Shirt

The rabbit hole of hell that is my psyche

*facepalm* I was really struggling, and a lot of it is because of my own experience with written word being taken totally taken the wrong way in email when I was in Iraq, and my spouse was here at home. And while I would never read the BBS at work :rolleyes: perhaps the frame of mind I am in when I read it has something to do with it. :)

I am sincerly glad you seemed to enjoy the show, and hope you will continue to. If you would ever like to join us to discuss the topic, or any Trek lit topic, please do! Just let me know and I will send you my Skype info so you can call in. And thank you for the voice comments...Teri usually gets them, so it was a good way to start the day for me! :cool:

I will check with the person that does the webpage and tags. Thanks again Sir!

All the best,

Nick

14. Trelane

Trelane Lieutenant Commander

The beauty of fan-fic, both pro and amateur.