Should TNG have had different Star Fleet uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by newtontomato539, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Not really.

The US Army has 3 standard uniforms. The A (uniform with jacket), B (uniform, no jacket) and the ACU (camoflage)

Then you have assorted jump and flight suits. And it isn't as if you can pick whichever uniform you want for the day. Base commanders usually decide which uniform will be worn, and that depends on the type of work involved. Most bases go with the camos while the Pentagon - along with more clerical personnel - goes with either the A or B depending on the weather.

2. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    And this is why I love Star Trek's vision of the future so much--in the sense that it separates itself from today's military by being more lax, while still having a strong chain of command. These are exploratory vessels (for the most part). This is humanity. This isn't all brute force and explosions. Starfleet has to show the rest of the universe what humanity is like, individuality and all, and the military of Trek's future exemplifies that ideal.

3. Surak of Vulcan

Surak of Vulcan Ensign Red Shirt

The TWOK-onward uniforms for sure. Something about them screams professionalism and they just look awesome. Those are my favorite uniforms followed by the First Contact ones.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the S3-S7 uniforms a whole lol. They were a huge step up from the spandex ones from S1-S2. They looked more practical and were certainly better on the actors.

4. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I figured they didn't need variety because technology advanced to the point where the formal uniforms felt just as comfortable as the informal ones, making them look stylish as well as comfortable.

5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Pressmen never looked comfortable in the "new" admirals uniform. Plus it looked out of sync with the others of the time. The earlier ones were the period's best fit.

6. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Did anyone else think the late-DS9/TNG movie dress uniforms (white/grey jacket with gold piping, black trousers) were really, really ugly?

Were they lined with sackcloth or something? A long-sleeved T-shirt, trousers and a jacket certainly doesn't LOOK uncomfortable!

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't find them ugly, but I feel they look too much like a 21st Century tuxedo.

8. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Actually, the jump suits used in Enterprise seemed to be a lot more comfortable and functional. I know Gene said no pockets or zippers, but pockets are one of the greatest advancement in clothing. Zippers I can see as being out dated since by then they could have some type of space Velcro that allows a seamless look to the uniforms.

The white dress uniforms were ugly in my opinion. I would have liked something similar to the uniforms from TWoK to be dress uniforms, with medals or pins on the chest. Rank pips could be on each shoulder, and like in TWoK the overall color would be red, with the undershirts collar having the coloring for their department. Or if no colors on the collar, than some symbol to designate department, like Medical with a Caduceus before or after the rank pips. Yes I know the dress uniform I'm envisioning is getting rather complicated and crowded.

The TWoK uniforms did look more like dress uniforms than duty uniforms.

9. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    It's conceivable that they still used zippers in the 22nd century. Gene Roddenberry was referring to the 23rd century and beyond when he made those rules. Enterprise was deliberately a more primitive show that showed more of a transitional phase between our society and TOS. This is evident from the fact that people still wear neckties.