Spider-Man Post Brand New Day

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Four, one yet to be born.

He also tried to make Peter his son once, via brainwashing.

2. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Insane though I know he was, and even though I know that Peter is not that way, I would dearly love to see Peter give Harry a rash of s*** for the android parents, presuming that still happened. Has it been mentioned since BND began? Maybe, even absent knowing who Peter was, Harry created the droids to try and get Spidey's ID out of Peter. If its gone, I wouldn't miss the storyline. I just wish Gabriel and Sarah went with it.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It happened, Peter had a flashback to it in the backup story of when Harry came and told Peter he was "back". It was explained that Norman had Harry's body taken to Europe and put a fake cloned body in the morgue. Basically he saved Harry the way Harry saved Norman when Norman first "died". The Goblin formula didn't kill him but put him in a coma he healed from. I'm guessing Norman neutralized the formula in Harry after he recovered because he doesn't have powers anymore.

But Peter decided that after everything they've both been through, he was tired of the Parker/Osborn war with Harry (Harry doesn't remember what happened to him in his last stint as the Goblin) and figured if Harry wanted to be pals again Peter would go with it.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Speaking of which there was a funny little reference to the Norman/Gwen kids in American Son. At one point Norman says who says Harry is my only child? And on another page they show Norman testing his new Super Soldier / Goblin formula and in the background you can see a deformed human in a tube with "G. STACY" on the label.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, either it's Gabriel or he dug up and experimented on George...

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Or Gwen Stacy! Or one of her many clones from the Clone Saga! :p

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt this will ever happen any time soon...but May Parker (as in the baby Mary Jane gave birth too and told it was stillborn) is still out there somewhere. That nurse who delivered it gave it to Norman who was waiting on the docks (I think he was waiting on the docks) and could be somewhere in Europe still. I've always been really interested to see May be brought in regular continuity.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Given the insanely wonky time-line... is Peter supposed to be magically de-aged by the devil deal?... how old would their baby be?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Peter's apparent age was inconsistent even before Brand New Day. Straczynski wrote him as a mature adult in his late 20s, a husband, a teacher, a former grad student, a man with a lot of experience and history. But at the same time, Paul Jenkins' characterization of Peter/Spidey made him seem more juvenile in the way he talked and acted. And these were supposed to be in the same continuity at the same time.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

After all this time, Peter should be around 28-29. I'd prefer 30 but that scares off the kiddies.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

And just think he'll probably be "under 30" until the end of time to keep him relate-able to teenagers :D

12. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if we're complaining about that, Bruce Wayne should be over 100 by now.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

At least Bruce has a ten year old son to demonstrate that he has aged somewhat over the "years" ;)

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that DC continuity gets reset and overwritten every decade or two, so the characters staying young isn't much of a problem. It's a lot more awkward in Marvel's case, where the stories about a teenaged Peter Parker in the 1960s are supposed to be in the same continuity as the stories about a twenty-something Peter in the 2000s.

15. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave up on Marvel Comics because of nonsense like this, not to mention all the tie-ins that force you to purchase multiple titles you don't care about to keep up with a story. I guess when I want a Spider-Man fix I'll read those Marvel Masterworks books.

16. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I've picked up a couple of Post-OMD trades and they've been entertaining. But I'm too turned off by how they got there to regularly read Spidey again. I feel like after the Clone Saga where I was told that the Spider-Man I grew up with in the 80s and 90s was a fake. Yeah, that was reversed but they kept up the conceit long enough for me to get embittered with the franchise and stop reading for years.

It wasn't until 2001 when JMS started writing Amazing Spider-Man that I came back to the character...And then One More Day happened. I'm just sick of collecting these stories and then being told "Nope, didn't actually happened the way you thought."

I'm twice burned now, I feel like if I start reading Brand New Day Spidey on a regular basis they'll just go back to the other continuity or bring back Ben Reilly who really WAS the real Peter Parker all along or they'll kill Peter Parker 616 off and make 1610 Ultimate Peter Parker the Spider-Man in the 616 universe or......!

I don't care if he's married or not, honestly, just don't tell me the guy makes deals with the devil, sacrificing his marriage for his elderly aunt! Aunt May would be furious if she knew what Peter did, and I really feel like it is a betrayal of Peter's MO, "With great power comes great responsibility." Peter made the choice to reveal his identity, it was a mistake that cost his Aunt her life, could've been a great way to reiterate Spider-Man's most fundamental ideal but instead we get a cop out deal with Mephisto.

So I'll pick up any buzz worthy trades but I'm through picking up the comic on a weekly/monthly basis.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Speaking of, a new trade just came out "Died In Your Arms Tonight" which collects #600-1 and an annual and some other stuff. Is this a particularly good story worth shelling out the bucks for?

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Quick rambling...

I liked the Spider-Man issue of The List written by Dan Slott. I liked the fact that the first public chink in Osborn's armor came at the hands of not only his arch-foe Spider-Man (working solo), but also at the hands of his son's best friend Peter Parker, working with the press. That makes it a personal defeat for Osborn on two different levels.

I'm sure that Spidey will still figure in the Dark Reign story as a member of the Avengers (and I'm apparently one of the few that like Spidey as an Avenger), but with all of the history between Parker and Osborn, Peter deserved to get off the first shot in Norman's downfall on his own.

ETA: "Look! Naked Belgians!" :lol:

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read a recent interview with Dan Slott for the List and I believe he mentioned that he would be shocked if Peter wasn't involved in some way with Norman's downfall, his list issue was just the start of things to come down the line.

Also I saw that Marvel's Feb Solicitations have Spider-Man: The Clone Saga Part One TPB listed so I guess they're finally publishing the Clone Saga in trade format again. As much as I despised the storyline I'll be picking them up.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^ They recently did a remake of the Clone Saga as a ?12 issue? comic book mini-series so it's probably just that.