Lost 5x13: "Some Like It Hoth"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 15, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

41.9%
  3. Average

17.7%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that's the most logical answer. That doesn't mean it's necessarily correct. :lol:

But, consider, we know it's not Widmore and it's probably not Ben. Dharma was a well funded, large operation. Sure, it's people were killed on the island but that doesn't mean the organization would've suddenly ceased to exist. A lot of the science results would've been transfered off the island regularly, meaning much of it would've survived the purge. Dharma has to have been doing something in those years with all of their resources, knowledge of the island, and the time!

Mr Awe

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

No, she was alive but dying. Miles can't talk to the dead, he can only hear what is recorded in their brain. It's not interactive like that conversation with his Mom was.

Mr Awe

3. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I just didn't realize it was that big of a mystery. Everything with Miles last night was kind of "well Duh, already new that." Nothing we hadn't already figured out. If they would have shown how or why Miles has that ability it would have been more interesting.

Clearly the best part of the episode and I'd admit to enjoying that part.

Found that all to be pretty boring. Especially all the Dharma stuff since we know ultimately what's going to happen to them and it can't be changed. What happened, happened.

The (possibly) new faction is somewhat interesting (I figure it's part of Ben's organization actually) but for the most part I'm past caring about all the cloak and dagger bullshit.

EDIT TO ADD: I also wondered if the writers know that fillings in teeth are not made of magnetic metals.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^not even in the mid to late 70s?

i enjoyed this episode alot. I really do think Brahm and Illana are in cahoots with Ben. Ben almost always has a contingency plan. so this has got to be it.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Sawyer is about to be exposed.
    2. Bram and the "what lies in the shadow of the statue"
    3. Hurley/Miles
    4. The fact that every person on the show has daddy issues now. That has to come into play in the finale, right?
    5. The return of Daniel. I honestly thought he wasn't going to recognize Miles. That would have been trippy.
    6. Characters finally interacting with Dr. Chang
    7. Miles FINALLY gets some more flashback
    8. What are they doing with bodies at The Orchid?

I just liked it. I like Lost no matter what, usually, though.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Miles looked like Rufio from Hook too!

On another note, now that we know that Miles can't actually see the dead, does this mean, that scene with claire, miles and sawyer where Miles says "Are you sure about that?" to Claire. Does that mean, she's really not dead after all, just in some weird astral projection state possibly? I dunno.

7. gh4chiefs

No, otherwise none of us "old farts" with fillings that pre-date the 70's could have MRI's ran today, but that's clearly not the case.

8. gh4chiefs

I guess I'm just fatigued with the show. None of that really wowed me. As I said, Hurley/Miles was entertaing but after that it was a big snoozefest for me, especially coming on the heels of last week's episode.

I'd kind of forgotten about the Sawyer thing. But again that was just simply setup as was Faraday's return at the end.

Supposedly the next episode is going to focus on Faraday so maybe it will be more enlightening/entertaining.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Normally, I only give excellents to completely mind blowing episodes. This wasn't that, but it was one of the best character episodes in a long time (with interesting plot developments as well). I'm really excited about the Swan. Everything having to do with Miles this episode was awesome. And the Hurly/Miles conversation was very funny.

So, yeah, this episode earns an excellent.

10. Vic Sixx

Vic Sixx Commodore Commodore

I liked it. I loved the Hurley/Miles routine. But something struck me as odd. Sawyer made reference to Miles' talking to the dead ability a week or so ago, but Hurley only now found out?

Next week is the clip show, two weeks until a new show.

It was nice to see Naomi however briefly.

11. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

Did Miles' sixth sense come up while they were unstuck in time? Even if it didn't, Sawyer and Miles have been together for three years; Hurley just arrived.

12. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent. As "Whatever Happened, Happened" demonstrated, Miles + Hurley = Pure Gold.

However, I was mildly disappointed that the episode couldn't quite live up to its title. Which, by the way, is the best in TV history. I was aghast a month ago when there was scuttlebutt that it wouldn't stick. Glad they kept it.

13. Irvy

Irvy Commander Red Shirt

Just a random thought, but what if the Monster is "The Shadow of the Statue". What if this is a group who worship / deify the Monster?

14. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

Did they say the filling was pulled through his brain because of the magnetics? I just assumed it was an 'island' thing. like he was somewhere where he shouldn't have been.

Miles didn't pick him up from the swan.

When they were back in 1954, being marched at gunpoint back to the other's camp. Miles said he just walked over the grave of 3 soldiers. a conversation about his abilities ensued.

15. gh4chiefs

No they didn't explicity say that, but I'm sure that's what we're going for since they have previously established the highly magnetic field around "the hatch" (I don't pay attention to the names of the stations).

But this is LOST afterall, with time travel, dead people walking around, and a smoke monster, so I guess non-magnetic materials being yanked out by a magnet is not that far-fetched relatively speaking.

16. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

That didn't even occur to me. Just thought he was somewhere where he wasn't supposed to be and the island took care of him.

17. gh4chiefs

Well it could be, but that seems like a strange way for the island to kill him. But as I said, this is LOST, so anything is possible.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just randomly flipped to the rerun of Miles' introductory flashback scene in "Confirmed Dead" and the rules of ghostbusting seem to be completely contradictory from what they said in last night's episode. In this one, he goes up to the dead son's room and tells him to stop haunting his mom and to tell him where the money is. There is a thunk sound revealing the vent where the money is hidden. Then he leaves saying to move on and leave his mom alone. This suggests that the ghost IS intelligent and he DOES communicate with it, rather than just hear mindless memory echoes like he said in "Hoth".

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe the worker was Russian and they used real metal teeth?

20. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

maybe it can work both ways for him, he's still right that he doesn't actually see the person though, like hurley does