"Cabin in the Woods" Pushed Back Again

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The trailer only hints at the magnitude of the film's twist. I'm kind of confused as to how someone can like a poster over a trailer better...and use that as a measure if they will see the film or not. I get not liking the trailer and waiting though.

2. Admiral_Young

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

CHUD and Bloody-Disgusting both gave rave reviews to Cabin in the Woods. My interest is piqued a little now.

4. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Check it out. Cabin in the Woods is getting some great reviews at RottenTomatoes. At the moment it has 20 positive and only 2 negative.

I've read a few of the reviews, and the consensus seems to be that it starts out seeming like a very cliche slasher movie with stock characters... and then it cleverly subverts all the cliches and defies all expectations.

"The idea is to set up a movie we've seen a hundred times before, and then to rearrange it into something new and deliriously satisfying." -- Eric D. Snider

"Not since Scream has a horror movie subverted the expectations that accompany the genre to such wicked effect as The Cabin in the Woods." -- Peter Debruge

"You'll feel like horror is revitalized, like its importance is more obvious than ever. That might be Cabin's greatest achievement, reminding us why we love and need this genre." -- Devin Faraci

5. Admiral_Young

A friend of mine saw it at a screening and loved it. I guess a review and discussion thread is going to have to be made for it next weekend. A part of me still can't believe it is finally coming out lol.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

to be honest i'd almost forgot about this film.

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I wasn't planning on being able to see this till Monday, but I'm finishing work early tomorrow now so will have chance to go in the afternoon.

Great, can't wait for this. I've tried to avoid anything too spoilerish or such, saw the trailer a couple of times when it was released but apart from that not much. As for reviews I really couldn't care less, with a film like this (being a Joss/Drew Goddard fan, and with that cast) I'm going to see it either way, so I'll be 100% making up my own mind on it.

8. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Glad to see it's getting good reviews. The only review i'd heard prior to today was on BBC Radio 4, and they absolutely slated the film.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I may go see this tonight.
    My last thing before packing and getting things in order before I go to Vegas Sunday morning.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Also just got back from seeing it. Also loved it.
    :D

Kinda don't wanna say much about it really so as to spoil any of it somewhat. Not saying its the best film ever made of all time, but yeah it was awesome and a lot of fun.

Just looking on wiki, I was trying to work out how long I'd waited to see this, it started filming in March 2009, wow

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Exactly why I've said no more. Yeah, like you said it's not best film ever but I really liked it, seemed like the audience were enjoying it too. Will probably see it again before the weekend is out.

13. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

It was amazing. Also I saw Brody and Volker from SGU in there! Along with Dr. Novak from SGA.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got back from seeing it and must say it turned and twisted the tropes and cliches on their head. The ending was, well, I don't even know what to say about sequel opportunities should the studio want one.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was so happy to see this last night, since it had been such a long wait (two delays, MGM's financial problems putting the movie in limbo, the sale to Lionsgate). My expectations had built up over time to being pretty damn high, and it vaulted right over those expectations.