AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So hank pym and the wasp are going to be in the next avenger. Are they going to get there own movie as well?

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

During production, I heard that Eva Longoria was supposed to play the Wasp. That didn't happen.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Anything about Ant-Man/Wasp and Avengers 2 is strictly rumor mill at this point. Whether they are tied to each other or solo projects apiece. Edgar Wright has been talking about it since 2007 so until he starts production or shows up at Comic Con with Friege treat it all as suspect.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

She was spotted coming out of Marvel HQ ages ago, but apparently it was for another film. Who knows what.

Hopefully we'll finally get some more details this year (about Ant-Man, not Eva Longoria).

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I like the Black Widow's slightly perplexed response when Tony brings "the party" (ie the snake-ship) to them: "I - I don't think that's a party".

Estimated monetary toll of the Manhattan battle: $160bn. That's a lot of shiny hi-tech suits. Well, twentyish to fortyish.

6. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Well, there was this guy on one of the TVs in the end who wanted to hold the heroes responsible for the damage. Maybe they'll use that as a plot for Avengers 2.

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Hmmm... I wonder if Henry Peter Gyrich is one of those characters who can appear in both FOX and Marvel movies.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

200 votes and it's nearly perfect that half voted A+!!
    That shows quite a satisfaction level.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Even more interesting is that 98.5% of the votes is a C or better.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, well reviews for Dark Shadows aren't looking so good.... so guess I'm seeing Avengers again!

11. Trekker4747

I'm taking my mom to see DS for Mother's Day on Sunday, but am also going to see Avengers again on Saturday.

12. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Longoria gets the Wasp I'm having Jeremy Renner put an arrow through my skull.

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

When you think about it, nothing he sees here is really that much more advanced than all the retro sci-fi gadgets HYDRA had in his movie's version of World War II. Less advanced, in some ways, since everybody is still using bullets instead of lasers.

14. Trekker4747

Which is odd, since Howard Stark recovered the Tesseract you'd think SHIELD, Stark Industries or the US Government would have been able to figure out how it works and duplicate Red Skull's work considering they had 70 years to do it in.

Which is why I think introducing the Asgardian technology in CA was sort of a mistake as for the MCU it sort of muddies things a bit when you scrutinize them. Inside of a year SHIELD is able to take the Asgardian Destroyer, reverse-engineer it and not only duplicate this wildly different technology but also miniaturize it in comparison to the original. But in 70 years they couldn't take the Tesseract and make radically new technology or harness it's power to make ultimate free energy when they've already got their hands on Hydra's weapons and research as well as have the most brilliant minds in the world working with them on it? Including Howard Stark and eventually Bruce Banner, Tony Stark and Erik Selvig.

Sort of seems odd.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, the Red Skull had the Cosmic Cube but all he could do was make weapons out of it rather than remake creation. Then when SHIELD got it they couldn't do much with it, because they were working with the level of technological advancement. But I would imagine the study of it is what enabled their other breakthroughs like getting the Helicarrier to work. Maybe getting their hands on the Cube and the Destroyer led to a common breakthrough.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I would have liked to have seen more of his reactions to the modern world too. Not so much with regard to technology, but just the radically different society and culture he now finds himself in.

I'm sure we'll get a lot of that in the Cap sequel, but I really think it would have given him more dimension in this movie as well. Because as is, it kinda feels like he's just along for the ride.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Not to mention it seemed like Dr. Zola was cooperating with the SSR, and he seemed to be the real mastermind behind Hydra's technology.

But then, I'm always bemused by scientists in the Marvel movies refusing to write anything down or allow others to build on their work. It seems like Tony Stark won't allow anyone else access to his research on miniature Arc Reactors. Howard Stark discovered a band new element but seemingly wrote no notes on it. He only left cryptic clues disguised in the model of the Stark Expo. Strangest of all, the Army didn't insist that Dr. Erskine share the formula for the super soldier serum with the rest of the SSR?:wtf:

No, it was definately a newer $10 bill. It had that slight reddish tinge that the new ones have.

Me. With all of the fear and antagonism towards superpowered mutants in the X-Men universe, I just don't think they would fit in with the rest of the Marvel superheroes. However, I would like to see Spider-Man or Daredevil join the Avengers.

Anyone know how his plot was different?

Supposedly, the helmet is REALLY uncomfortable.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Or what? They need Erskine's cooperation; he's got most of the cards there.

19. Trekker4747

Eh, I can buy that even with the notes and research maybe only "certain people" can make these things work. Dr. Erskine may have "shared the formula" but it could also be like when your grandmother bakes her famous cookies. There's more going on there than the numbers on a piece of paper and it takes a special touch, nuances and being able to judge the relative humidity to determine how much flour is really needed.

Erskine just had the "knack" for making it work and it was something no one else was able to duplicate even with the formula and H. Stark's technology.

And H. Stark seemed to purposefully hide the secret to the new element to revolutionize the arc-reactor specifically as a legacy for his son to take on.

So, I can see how specific people's techniques and such aren't able to be duplicated or recreated but here we've got SHIELD/the US Government and H. Stark with the Tesseract and all of Hydra's weapons and they can't figure out what to do with it over the course of 70 years?

(I guess to be fair, the Hydra factory was destroyed in the process which may go along the same thing that happened with Erskine and H. Stark and the new element. It was a missing piece to a puzzle and it couldn't be duplicated.)

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

In the official tie-in comics, Erskine tells Phillips that the formula for the serum exists only in his head. He never wrote it down so that others wouldn't misuse it. That's why nobody's ever managed to successfully duplicate it after Erskine's death.

I agree that it seems odd how the SSR/SHIELD never cracked the Tesseract despite having it for seventy years. Maybe it would have been better if the Tesseract had been found more recently.