Have the Galaxy Class got a fatal design flaw?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Aug 17, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It always amused me how nonchalant Picard was when he gets back to find Riker lost ship ship against a 20 year old Bird of Prey in two hours. I'd figure he'd be more pissed, but that would ruin the cliche happy movie ending.

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    He probably had the realization moments after they beamed to the Farragut. Then again, he did carelessly discard the Kurlan Nascos, so it's possible he still had a Nexus buzz and didn't realize what he was doing.

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Nope. They fired once and that was it. The sound you're hearing are the Klingon disruptors hitting the Big D.

Now you're just giving a movie credit for something that wasn't even in the movie.

4. Praetor

More like making a mob hit seem like an accident... but it's the only way to make the producers' desire to destroy the ship, as it was shoehorned into the film, less bothersome. ;)

5. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I have to Disagree with R-Star Here. The Mistake was Picards. Riker did the best he could in a bad situation. When the Enterprise was attacked, they were taken completely by surprise that The Klingons were able to completely bypass their shields. The forward section was full of INNOCENT CIVILIANS. Riker would know this, and would have ordered the ship to keep it's Aft Section facing the Bird of Prey so as to keep Civilian death's to a minimum. Saucer sep was out of the question while The Enterprise was taking direct hits to her hull. Picard should have known they were going into a system with a Renegade Klingon Ship containing a very dangerous Individual aboard, and Stopped at a system en route, did a proper Saucer Separation, and went into the Veridian System with the Stardrive. Just my Opinion. I think Riker handled the situation well.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Surely a full volley of photon torpedo's plus firing all phaser banks that were facing the BoP would have blown it away. Just about the only time we saw the Ent-D using more than the main phaser banks was in "Q Who"

7. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Furstratingly not in the movie. One or two lines of dialogue explaining that either the Enterprise had lost weapons, or that Soran had upgraded the BoPs shields, and this particular weird aspect to the battle would barely be discussed!

8. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

So very true. I was never a big fan of the Enterprise D, but she deserved better than being taken out by a little Bird of Prey ship.

Without those few lines of dialogue, I wish the sisters had been in a full size Klingon Battle Cruiser at least.

9. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I agree that a few lines of Dialog would have helped, Even just Having Worf saying something like "Our phasers are not penetrating their sheilds" in a surprised tone would have helped, and alluded to the fact that Soran must have helped the Duras Sisters modify their BOP somehow. As it stands, we have what we see on screen, so my explination makes the most sense to me personally. But I'm with the Majority that the Enterprise-D deserved better.

10. R. Star

Yes.. it deserved to be in a better movie. That was the design flaw that was exploited, leading to it's death. ;)

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Actually, it can be made to fly aerodynamically. Just not for very long.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFzu5ALdS7Q[/yt]

12. R. Star

^ Wow, that was awesome.

13. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^Highly cool!

14. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The motivation to destroy the ship was crass... Moore and Braga were tired of it and wanted a "cooler" ship. I've never forgiven them for that!

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought it was "the TV sets won't hold up on-screen". Which is why Generations had to be so dimly lit, too...

16. Praetor

...which I still think is crap. I think the darkness was just for drama. The E sets were pretty dark too. And lest we forget, the E's sickbay was (in FC and INS at least) a fairly straightforward reuse of the VGR set.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, though that was one set seen very briefly versus... well, all of them after the prologue aboard the -B. And given that the Voyager sets were constructed after Generations was shot, they may have been built to a higher standard with future film use in mind.

18. Praetor

Granted. My point was simply that blowing up the ship because the producers didn't like the sets were stupid. The gap between TV and film was somewhat lesser for TNG than it was for, say, TOS. GENS also proved pretty handily that the D six-footer looked amazing on the big screen. It would have been easy to wreck the bridge and build a new one, and refurbish the other sets as needed.

Personally, though, I think they looked great.