Watching Farscape Season 1.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ConRefit79, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

My order for all 4 seasons + Peace Keepers wars arrived yesterday. I've been watching season 1.

What is it with Sci Fi channel? These idiots have good shows going and always kill them in their prime. First Farscape then BSG.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad to see you're apparently liking it, anyway. For many reasons, this is one of my plain most favourite TV shows - probably because it really hits the nail on the head as to what exactly I want from a space opera, especially these days. It really is the whole genre distilled, remixed and gone a little crazy.

One helluva ride, to boot. Enjoy.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

BSG wasn't canceled in it's prime, otherwise there would only be two seasons. Sci-fi canceled Farscape because they didn't have the funding for another season. Sure it was stupid but that's how it goes.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can only echo what Kegg has said. Farscape is a great series, and if you're liking season 1, than you're going to like the rest. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on why I love this series so much. The characters were great, but I think it was just the zaniness of it all. While there are many shows that pride themselves as being full fledged arcs that are "Dark and Gritty" (A phrase that is turning Cliche itself), Farscape had a little bit of everything for everyone.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never been so upset at the cancellation of a show. I highly recommend the comics that follow the series.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The worst part about the cancellation is that it was renewed for two years, and then at the end of the first *BAM*

Since that incident I've pretty much expected every show I watch to be cancelled until it's confirmed otherwise, much less stressful that way.

Like with Lost I think a couple of seasons in they had decided to end it at a certain point, and presumably had some sort of deal in place, but in the back of my mind I was ready for each season finale to not get resolved.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I hate to say it, but I'm the same. Canceled until proven renewed.

8. ConRefit79

I see they're coming out with graphic novels. Why does no one make real novels for these series. Firefly also only has graphic novels. And I've only seen a few BSG novels.

9. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I hope you enjoy your Scaping, it's an awesome series. I'm quite happy I bought it myself.....

.....even though it cost me like four times as much money as that :censored: set that's out now. I bought the 4 insanely over-priced individual sets years ago because I thought the series was going the way of the dodo. :whistle:

10. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

So, does The Peacekeeper Wars not provide closure?

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It absolutely provides closure and is a phenomenal ending for the show, but that doesn't mean they can't continue to tell new stories.

12. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And how are graphic novels not real?

13. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

I envy you. Farscape was one of finest sci-fi productions I have ever seen.....Send your reviews

14. ConRefit79

Guess I should have said traditional novels instead or real. But the graphic novels I've seen look like like large comic books to me. I've never been an avid comic book fan.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what a graphic novel is, a long comic book. :lol:

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of a graphic novel.

17. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad to see another fan introduced to the show. I've been forcing a friend to watch it and he just doesn't seem to "get" it. Almost made me forget how much fun it is to talk about the show with people who also love it.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

How far has your friend gotten? I've introduced many friends to Farscape, but it took most of them a while before they started to really enjoy it. As much as I opposed to the idea, I think Farscape is easier to get into if you start watching it during the big season finale arcs. I started watching it during the "Liars, Guns, and Money" trilogy. I had no idea what was going on, but it was so good that I wanted to watch more!

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Have fun. I bough that A&E release (I assume yours is that) back in November when it first came out, and watched the series one episode per night from January 1 through the end of March. I hadn't seen the show in years and had forgotten how good it was. I watched it alongside New Battlestar Galactica, and man, am I glad I did. Farscape's endless fun provided a great counterpoint to Galactica's never-ending over the top melodrama. In the interviews in the special features, the actors talked about how Farscape turned "dark", but I couldn't see that. Sure, there was drama, but the show was still fun.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I was actually going to start a thread on this until I saw this one. About a month ago I bought the full-series box set. I'd been meaning to for ages. I'd seen bits and pieces of Farscape over the years but its rather erratic scheduling (not to mention the fact that later on it did become hard to figure out what the frell was going on as there were few if any jumping-on points) led me to file it under "watch on DVD". But the initial DVD releases were so damn expensive I ended up ignoring them, too, until the box finally came out at a half-decent price.

If a show really grabs me, I can chug-a-lug episodes pretty rapidly and that's the case with Farscape. Initially I planned to watch just Season 1, then put it aside for awhile. Well, I've just finished Season 3 and have no plans to stop now! I even ordered the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries (which, due to being owned by a different company, is not included in the box). I'm even lining up to order some of the graphic novels O'Bannon wrote.

By now you've probably guessed I love the show to bits! It's got a great combination of light and dark, serious and silly, and fantastic performances. Indeed, it ticks off most of the same boxes that makes Doctor Who so appealing to me. There are episodes that literally had me falling out of my chair laughing, and there are episodes that had me depressed for days afterwards. THAT is a mark of a good series.

And I share the following view with a number of other people I've spoken to about the series, including a university English professor I know - anyone who dismisses the show because of the Muppets simply hasn't watched the show. And those who refuse to watch it because of the puppets really are doing themselves a disservice. Frankly, once you get into the show, you forget Rygel and Pilot are puppets.

Regarding the "graphic novels are not real novels" argument, in my opinion that was invalidated when Alan Moore put out Watchmen and when Maus won the Pulitzer. And Cerebus the Aardvark - controversies about content aside - is more literary than most novels published in the last 40 years. And in the case of the Farscape ones, they are considered official continuations of the series, most if not all written by O'Bannon himself, so if you are a fan of the series and want the whole story, you have to read them, full stop. I plan on ordering them through Amazon as soon as I finish watching Series 4 and the Mini-series. Which at this rate will probably be sometime next week!

Alex