DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Marvel has problems, it isn't getting reported like DC's problems are right now. I just find this fascinating and a little strange. House of UIster is right when he says nothing is really different, but so many people having and vocalizing the same problem says to me that this is slightly different than anything that has typically gone before.

DC seems in chaos behind the scenes to me.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read the stuff Leifield said, and I can see where he got so frustrated.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Keep in mind Liefeld is a big douchebag, so...

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^Exactly Liefeld has a terrible reputation.

No not really. The editorial interference has been there since around Infinite Crisis and its follow up. Editorial bickering and politics apparently was a hallmark of the company since Paul Levitz was President. If the public firing of Dwayne McDuffie from JLA after he spilled the beans about editorial interference didn't change editorial, Liefeld and a bunch of others complaining isn't going to change much especially since McDuffie was far more loved than Liefeld.

5. Admiral_Young

Liefeld has a reputation yes, no one is denying that...we all have basically said good riddance, but the fact that he's repeating the same basic problems that Perez, Roberson, and Simone all had with DC, and I'm guessing Winnick as well...

Also apparently...adding to his douchebagginess...Liefeld got into a twitter fight with Scott Snyder earlier today.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Courtesy of Bleeding Cool...

Rob Leifield calls Scott Snyder a "pretentious prick". Project much, Rob? He even posted a private conversation between himself and Snyder.

7. Admiral_Young

Damn...could the guy be more an ass? That's not cool at all. All of this is not good either.

8. Trekker4747

He could, but then he'd be in a higher tax bracket, one that'd probably have to be invented just for him.

9. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  10. Trekker4747

Shockingly enough he had a LOT of fans and is sometimes, ahem, "credited" with the look of a lot of comics in the 1990s. He's somehow managed to get all kinds of work for the last 20 years and made a killing of mediocre to shitty artwork and the lack of ability to draw feet.

The infamous "40 Worst Liefeld Drawings" website/writers have also recently made a sequel. "40 MORE of the Worst Liefeld Drawings." Looking at "Warlord" just makes me wonder how this guy was EVER a popular artist who was LIKED and still IS liked!

LINK

11. Hound of UIster

He was good when he started out in the business.

Look at the Hawk & Dove mini he did in the 80s.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. I have a very, very low opinion of Tom Breevort due to his propensity to always talk trash about DC. He seems to be someone who is willing to rip apart the competition to further himself.

However, man, am I on his side for this one and my opinion of Breevort was raised when he posted about not Marvel not wanting Liefeld after this Twitter flameout. Good on you, Tom! I may have to reevaluate my opinion of him.

13. Turtletrekker

There has always been been a certain level of trash-talk on both sides of the Marvel/DC fence. I generally consider it to be mostly good-natured ribbing of the competition rather than genuine malice. Look at how fast Brevoort defended Liefield's editor Brian Smith as being a "stand-up guy".

When Before Watchmen was announced JMS said something along the lines of, "This isn't just another summer event pitting this team against that team", which was an obvious dig at Marvel and AvX.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. Admiral_Young

Yeah besides which those comments usually come when Brevoort is being interviewed by someone. Both companies have clashed with each other and taken pot shots. I actually thought Brevoort was pretty diplomatic about the whole New 52 thing when he was initially asked about it last year.

15. Hound of UIster

Brevoort use to be very friendly with the fans. It was only during the Quesada era that the bad reputation he has developed.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm just basing this on the comments I've seen. And I admit, I've always been more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan, so I'm prone to bias on DC's part (though in recent years, I have been a fan of some of their comics, but not their editorial decisions).

With Marvel's long-term success over DC, it always seemed to me that Marvel took the position of the big bully and DC played the part of the weakling getting sand kicked in its face. There were times when the ribbing seemed good-natured, times with it seemed a bit overboard, and times when it seemed downright mean.

Case in point, Jeph Loeb in 2005/6 took some shots at Marvel, especially in his last arc on Superman/Batman, in which they faced the Maximums (a non-to-subtle rip on The Ultimates). I remember him making some disparaging/cheap-shots at Marvel. In what seemed no time at all, Loeb quit DC and started working for Marvel. Shortly thereafter, he fired some shots at DC. I just laughed at how quickly his tune changed when the people signing his paychecks changed.

I understand this stuff happens all of the time. Characters/concepts homaged/parodied on both sides, shots fired at both companies, etc. It just always seemed to be more than just good-natured from those like Breevort and he always seemed quick to insult DC. As I said, I may have misjudged him.

It's like sports rivalries. Some fans/teams/owners/players are good-natured about it and keep it up for the fans. Others seem to really hate the other team. And sometimes what seemed good-natured was really hateful and vice versa. At the end of the day, though, it doesn't really matter.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Karl Kessel's inked saved that book.

18. Turtletrekker

Here is a fun early example of Marvel/DC trash-talk, courtesy of Brian Cronin's excellent column Comic Book Legends Revealed.

I know of another example where an issue of Batman from this same era shows Batman swing from a flag-pole and musing that he was swinging from flag-ploes much longer than "a certain Peter-come-lately".

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, Leifield is a serious asshole. And it sounds like he isn't even talented enough for that to make up for his personality.

20. Trekker4747

He's talented enough to become a millionaire for not being able to draw a normal-looking person, a foot, or depicting how clothes look on people. (Shirts are basically straight lines across the upper arm, right?)

But he can draw the fuck out of pouches and belts!