What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

The Outstretched Shadow, by Mercedes Lackey. It's the first book of the Obsidion Trilogy, and it's a very good fantasy story

2. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finished the first disc book "The Color of Magic". There are soooo many Terry Pratchett books O.o. Currently reading "While the Savage Sleeps" by Andrew Kaufman.

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"Duke: We're Glad We Knew You. John Wayne's Friends and Colleagues Remember His Remarkable Life" - by Herb Fagen.

4. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just got done reading "For What It's Worth: Business Wisdom from a Pawnbroker", by Les Gold, of Hardcore Pawn.

5. Ghost07

Just started book 2 of the Obsidion Trilogy...To Light a Candle

6. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Manifold: Origin this morning on my commute to work. I found the first three-quarters or so rather dull, but the last quarter really picked up. I was a little taken aback, though, when I came across a passage that seemed very familiar - I could be wrong, but I think it was either paraphrased or outright plagiarized from 2001.

Now that I've finished the trilogy, I need to figure out what to read next. I have some 30 or 40 unread books on my shelf. What to choose, what to choose...

(I considered posting the list here and getting you folks to choose for me, but I have to get to bed soon, and it's too late to wait for poll results. ;))

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Interesting. What was the part you think was taken from 2001?

8. TorontoTrekker

Nemoto has a line of dialogue (page 498 in my edition):

I think there was another, similar, reference to "mind" as well, which also sounded very similar to a passage in 2001.

In addition, the fact that the Red Moon was for all intents an purposes an incomprehensible artifact that took people between universes in the Manifold struck me as just another kind of Monolith.

Now I'm wondering whether the Manifold series was written before or after Baxter's collaboration with Clarke.

9. RJDiogenes

Yeah, I know what you mean-- I think it was "they found nothing more precious than mind."

I'm not sure what the Red Moon is like, but in the novel 2001, the Monolith took Bowman to a planetoid riddled with tunnels that was like a cosmic switching station.

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"These Are The Voyages: Season One" by Marc Cushman with Susan Osborn.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    High Treason by Robert Groden and Harrison Edward Livingstone (1989).

12. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Reading the VOY novels now from start to finish.

Finished "Voyager: Homecoming" last week, now reading "Voyager: The Farther Shore".

I have criticism of both books, but am enjoying them nonetheless.

13. Ghost07

I've finally begun the final book of the Obsidion Trilogy...When Darkness Falls. This is a very good fantasy story...of course, I'd expect nothing less from Mercedes Lackey...:D

14. TorontoTrekker

That sounds like it. I think Baxter used that exact same turn of phrase.

The Red Moon bounces from one alternate timeline/universe to another every few weeks or months (I don't recall a specific timeline being mentioned, but the characters experience a couple of universe, or "manifold" switches), in each of which the Earth-Moon system developed differently and the evolutionary timeline has been slightly different. People from different forms of humanity (including australopithecus, Neanderthal, modern homo sapiens) are transported from Earth to the Red Moon, and the main characters encounter groups of each. There are also sections written from the points of view of members of each group.

Anyway... after posting the other night that I'd finished Manifold: Origin and was having trouble deciding what to read next, I managed to forget to put a new book in my backpack at all. But I picked one last night - I decided to read a Trek novel for the first time in a while, one called From History's Shadow by some guy named Ward. ;) I have to say, the opening certainly grabbed me.

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

just finished gaiman's the ocean at the end of the lane.
    currently reading two books for two different book groups.
    s. j. Watson's before I go to sleep.
    alastair Reynolds pushing ice.
    enjoying pushing ice more.

16. RJDiogenes

That sounds pretty cool.

17. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^And it's a spoiler :wah:
    Never mind though; I'll still finish it :)

Both sound very interesting! - I'll have to look those up. Thanks!

Aren't there just? - Luv The Colour of Magic :bolian:

I'm (currently) only 42% into it an finding it a rather dull read compared to the first two, glad to hear the best is still waiting for me :) :lol:

Maybe that's why I've had this terrible feeling of déjà vu while reading the Manifold's.

Phase Space? - That's what I'm contemplating reading next ;)

18. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Strength and Honor by RM meluch

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am just about to start reading The Quiet Earth by Criag Harrison. I have been wanting to read this book for a couple of decades but copies of it were selling for $400+. Now it has finally been republished for the first time in 27 years. It seems that the new paperback is almost sold out but it is available on Kindle.

I hope this book is worth the long wait :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  20. TorontoTrekker

I'm sorry!

In my defense, though, I don't think I referred to anything that wouldn't have already been able to conclude on your own, if you're nearly halfway through, just based on the events of the plot. There's still a surprise or two waiting for you. :)

Plus, isn't the ten years since it was published long enough for the spoiler period to expire? What is the statute of limitations on books, anyway?