sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Okay people, you seriously need to start paying attention to this thread! Mr. Original-Spock Himself, Martin Landau, has been cast in a pilot.

I hope this will be considered significant enough in and of itself that I can eschew further manufactured controversy. :rommie:

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

ABC has found the Beast for their Beauty and the Beast pilot

The CW's Beauty and the Beast casting news

Casting for NBC's Revolution from JJ Abrams and Eric Kripke

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I love Martin Landau and it will be worth watching the pilot to see him, but the show still sounds pretty dicey.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I Caught a couple of minutes of a S1 Stargate SG1 episode last night, and Ronny Cox was in it. Is he still acting? I'd love to see him get at least one more great role while he's still acting

Martin Landau could be fun to see again, too.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, one of these two Beauty and the Beast pilots has got to change its name soon.

And the people writing the publicity about Revolution really, really need to stop using the phrase "a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist." Mass is a form of energy. Light, motion, gravity, the chemical potential in our cells, it's all energy. If there's no energy, there's no universe. It's a stupid sentence and they need to stop using it.

6. Temis the Vorta

A lot of these pilots sound pretty iffy - the Emmerich one has also been called Antichrist, which gives you a little hint about what it's really all about. The main character will be the only guy in the world who knows that it's End Times (for Dewey Crowe? they need him in this show), other than Martin Landau, his only mentor and ally. One man against Satan! :rommie:

Revolution could also be a waste of time - The Walking Dead sans zombies, why bother? The fact that they're casting pretty bland blonde types doesn't look hopeful. They need a John Bernthal type or two. Midnight Sun sounded like another stab at The Event, until they cast Titus Welliver in the lead. Even then, one actor can't carry a whole show.

I've been burned too many times by being hopeful based on nothing other than a vague description - time travel dinosaur show, how can they fuck that up??? - so until proven otherwise, they're all flops. :p

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I rather like Martin Landau (glad he's still kicking!) and the fact that I own the first season of Space: 1999 suggests I'll watch him in anything. Sure, why not, I'll give this one a chance.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I don't think any of the descriptions I've read have made me go "I HAVE TO WATCH THIS", a few sound interesting, but none of them really excite me.

9. Temis the Vorta

There are two warning signs that indicate a show might not pan out:

1. Cop show in sf/f window dressing.

2. Premise that depends on some unstated mystery to hold the audience's interest.

Most of this year's sf/f pilots fall into one of those two categories - but that's true every year. ;)

Here's some news on one of the shows that doesn't: The Selection's prince will be played by Gregory Peck's grandson.

10. Temis the Vorta

Revolution just joined the ranks of the must-see! :eek: Giancarlo Esposito is co-starring!!!
    They musta read my snarky comment about the cast being too pretty and blonde and needing some real heavy-hitter to balance things out. :D

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hm, so I wonder if that means we won't be seeing as much of Sydney/The Mirror/The Genie on Once Upon A Time.

12. Temis the Vorta

The article said he'll still have his OUAT role - he hasn't gotten all that much screentime as it is.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess he has only been in handful of episodes so far. For some reason I was thinking he'd been in most of them.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, he's always hanging around.

15. Temis the Vorta

But his screen time doesn't reflect his importance to the story.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

F. Murray Abraham has joined ABC/ABC Studios’ drama pilot Beauty And The Beast

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/jak...david-eigenberg-f-murray-abraham-join-pilots/

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

BBC America has two SFF shows in development. From Deadline Hollywood:

18. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

We've ripped off enough British stuff here in the states that it shouldn't bother me, but the synopsis of Wired sounds exactly like Beautiful People. And The Dead Beat sounds exactly like the upcoming R.I.P.D. movie.

I don't mind shows and movies rehashing stories and premises that have been done before, but having so many things with identical concepts arriving at the SAME time is getting a little silly.

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Never heard of Beautiful People or R.I.P.D. Besides premise doesn't necessarily mean they'll be anything alike in execution.

20. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Beautiful People

R.I.P.D.

And yeah, they could be entirely different in terms of execution and tone.

But trends in the entertainment industry still seem to be becoming more and more homogenized. American Sherlock? Multiple Beauty and the Beast shows? Fairytale shows, robot shows, vampire shows.

Back when Armageddon and Deep Impact came out in the same year it was looked at a bit skeptically. Now we have multiple projects every year coming out with the same elements.