Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Hasn't arrived in Wisconsin yet. Hopefully tomorrow!

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Interesting way to store the magazines. They try to limit any damage or necessitate the use of a three-ring hole punch. Unfortunately, it's easy to turn up the paper at the spine a little bit when you're trying to push the pins through. Cool concept though.

I'm finding that I'm not as disappointed with the refit as I thought I would be. Yes, it has those blue intakes on the nacelles and it's lacking in aztecking, but as a model itself it is really quite good. And the Enterprise-D is absolutely fantastic in almost every way. I'm personally leaving them all in their original packaging (it sometimes sucks to be a collector) but that's okay, I can see most of the detail.

I am surprised by how "dark" the paint palette is in reality. The photos in all the magazines and in various locations around the web really made these things look lighter, almost white, than they really are. Not a bad thing, really, just surprising.

And the magazines are high-quality glossy heavy-weight paper. They really did an amazing job on this series. So glad I got in at the start of it.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both of my magazines were damaged, but nothing too serious.

I too was surprised at how dark the refit was.

4. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, a 3-hole punch would have been better, but it would destroy the pictures within the mag...especially the centerfold.

Yeah, the model is not bad, but they sure dropped the ball on the paint job. But I chalk that up to this being one of the original 5 test run models from last year. Hopefully when they do the -A, they'll do a complete make-over. Not only is the Aztecking missing, some of the greenish grey paint panels on the secondary hull and neck missing as well. (The deflector dish cone, the dorsal section ahead of the nacelle pylons, and a vertical stripe on the neck.) I think the "blue dot" on the rear of the saucer section isn't quite right either. The recessed ring around the dot should've been blue, or even aqua, while the dot should've actually been orange.

Just save the boxes...you can always put them back in whenever you want.

I know what you mean, but I think I can answer that, as evidenced by all the photos I took (link in my sig). It seems that the brightness (or darkness) of each model is determined by whether or not a Flash is used when taking the picture. When taken in natural light (without a flash) it's dark as you say, but when a Flash is used, it washes out the darkness, and it turns the grey paint to almost a pure white.

Yeah, interesting take on these mags. I don't think I've ever seen this done before with toys/models. Where you get almost like a short "The Art of" book with the toy/model.

5. 137th Gebirg

If I understand what you're saying, I think you're referring to the impulse deflection crystal. Actually, they got that right. The CG render in the mag has it as orange and this is incorrect. The only Fed starship that ever had orange crystals was the Lakota in DS9's "Paradise Lost". All the others who had them were blue. The recessed ring was a lighter blue. They missed that, definitely, but the crystal itself is blue. :)

6. Johnny Rico

OK, gotcha.

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Do Eaglemoss localise the magazine for the US, or does it retain the British English spelling and punctuation? For example, how is "colour" spelt on page 17 of issue 1? I'm curious as to the lengths to which Eaglemoss go.

8. Johnny Rico

It's the UK version. At least the flyer (recreation of the info that was on the website that detailed the Collection) was. Haven't read much of the mags to see if that's the case, though, but I believe it is the UK version.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Kind of an oversight, seeing as the US is potentially a much bigger market.

10. 137th Gebirg

Nah...I suspect that anyone interested in this knows where it's really coming from. It's no secret that this is a UK production, and I don't know of anyone who's truly bothered by Queen's English - particularly not enough to cancel their subscription or prevent them from subscribing on account of it. :)

Either, that, or some folks are going to think that there are some people in Aston, Pennsylvania who spell real funny. :D

11. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got my ships yesterday but only got around to opening them today. The glossy magazines are really nice. The ships are nice too. Way more detail than I've ever seen on models this size.

I'm happy with the 1701-D. The paint app doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the seams between the pieces of the ship.

However, I am disappointed with the 1701-refit. Paint app is only okay and the saucer was attached to the neck with a left-tilt so the ship looks like a confused dog. The engineering hull has some seam gaps on the underside. Hopefully they get it all fixed and painted correctly for the 1701-A & the rumored 1701-refit in drydock special issue.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

I just got an email from Eaglemoss saying that my shipment has been delayed until Tuesday. They are going to send me a "limited edition Borg Cube poster" with my November shipment, as a gesture of goodwill. While I wish I had my ships already, I'm glad they are reaching out to their customers in a positive way.

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Nice replica but I think they should change the mounting- having the focal point of the vessel buried in clear plastic grab-hands is not a very good display.

I am on the fence on this series- I really want some of the ships but cannot afford to get them all.

14. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I agree. While I'm looking forward to this one (a model of Solar Sailer has never been done before as far as I know), the mount should be rethought. Perhaps two forked struts under each side sail supports.

15. Johnny Rico

You guys checked out the on-line Magazine Archive from the official site yet?

All you need is your Subscriber ID# which should be in your initial shipment/charge card notification email, which should have come on, or about Oct. 9th.

Find that, and then go to the official website, select Activate Subscription, and then enter your information, and your Subscriber ID#. Submit it, and Eaglemoss will send you another email with your log-in information (your email address, and a generic password, which you can quickly change once logged in.) The viewer is a bit like Adobe Acrobat, but with a less than user-friendly Zoom feature. (scroll wheel doesn't work, and it's a toggle zoom more than and adjustable one like Acrobat,) but basically, it's a PDF presentation of the mag.

16. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Well, mine finally came today.

The ships look really, really nice! I was surprised that the refit Enterprise looks way better than the pictures made it out to be.

However, when I pulled the Enterprise-D out of the box I noticed that it appeared to be in 2 pieces, and I knew that it should only be in one piece. After getting it out I noticed that it came apart in the stardrive section, right above the deflector dish. The pegs on the inside connecting the two parts had snapped. So it's nothing that a little super glue won't fix.

Other than that little snafu, I'm really impressed so far with this collection!

17. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

My E-D had the same problem, only it was at the cobra head (for saucer seperation) which I thought was funny when I opened the box, seeing the saucer and stardrive like it had been meant that way. Also the top quarter of the saucer is loose. But, everything is intact so I too can fix with some good glue. I'm really very happy with them, and though we had to wait it wasn't anything close to 21 days (sorry Caesar753, but it is still so worth the wait). I'm really excited to be getting these 1-2 times each month!

18. Johnny Rico

Wow, that sucks. Well, now at least we/I know what holds the different parts together. So, little pegs, huh? The top part (first few decks) of the saucer section is also resin.

19. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

A little dollop of super glue was all it took. Now the two Enterprises are standing proud on my shelf.

And I had no idea the binder was going to be so complex to put together. But, hey, it's working so far.

20. Johnny Rico

A little confusing at first isn't it? I didn't quite get what the instructions on the spine were saying. But once I figured out that the magazines would not slide over the knobby end of the peg, I realize I had them in backwards.