Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just had a thought for a book-character casting question I've never seen asked before:

Who would you cast as Ael t'Rllaillieu from the Rihannsu series? Or as Arrhae? Or as the voice of Naraht, K's't'lk, etc.?

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Re: Casting the DS9 Relaunch

He isn't cast as Vaughn based on looks alone, he's cast as Vaughn based on the guy who created him (Marco) saying that he was patterned after Connery's portrayal of Marko Ramius in The Hunt for Red October.

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Well, it ain't like anyone here is gonna make a DS9 Relaunch movie.

4. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

John Wayne was a terrible actor, too. Mr. T was an abysmal actor. But they're both (as well as Connery) very fun to watch. And besides, I don't think that just because a person can't (or doesn't) do accents means that they're a bad actor. It's also possible that the director/powers that be wanted him to keep the accent because that's the Connery brand. I know when I read Elias Vaughn I'm going to be hearing Sean's accent in all it's Scottish glory, even though I fully know that Vaughn's not Scottish. It's just fun. :)

5. Christopher

Some actors are good at transforming themselves into different characters; other actors are brilliant at playing a single role or type over and over. That doesn't make them bad actors, just a different kind of actor. And actors in the latter group are often more famous, because they present a consistent and familiar image rather than vanishing inside their roles.

People don't cast Sean Connery because they want a chameleon. They cast him because they want Sean Connery.

6. RookieBatman

Exactly! You took the words right out of my brain. I say if you can do one very good character, do it well. Sean Connery plays a better Sean Connery than anyone I know, and that's what I like about it.

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery is better than Sean Connery's Sean Connery.

8. Haval_Runa

Haval_Runa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery, actually. Will Farrell plays Alex Trebeck :)

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gah! You're right!

No, wait. "You're only saying that because I screwed your mother, Trebeck!"

10. RookieBatman

Hm...we'll have to agree to disagree about that one. I think Hammond's impressions are very funny, but I think he took a lot of artistic license with Connery. But then, I once played Connery in a Celebrity Jeopardy skit in high school drama class, so I know how hard it is. But I can't say I ever thought that Hammond nailed it.
    Ah, I just realized that you were probably joking. Sorry. :p

11. Ocean Machine

Ocean Machine Lieutenant Commander

I always hear Shar speaking with Marc Worden's voice (he played Alexander in DS9).

12. Haval_Runa

Speaking of Alexander, Brian Bonsall is in his mid-twenties at this point... he might make for an interesting Shar.

13. Commander Cavit

Commander Cavit Vice Admiral Admiral

"Terrible" is something of an overstatement (go watch The Hill and/or The Offence if you doubt that he can do it), but he has gotten into something of a rut of doing certain films for money and he clearly doesn't like SF because he really mails it in doing those roles.

Having said that, I don't see Vaughn as Connery in my mind's eye. I use the guy pictured on the front of the books and, to me, his voice is a touch higher than Sean's, more of a tenor. Plus, I imagine him having a little bit of a twang, like he's from Indiana. A subtle one, not like he's walking around sounding like a James Whitcomb Riley poem, but just a little homey. Kind of like Hal Holbrook.

I've also mentioned before that I have a mental picture of Philip Casnof who played Stanislofsky on OZ and is a frequent guest star on the various Law and Order franchises as the young Vaughn from Serpents and The Art.

[​IMG]
    "Bite me, Curzon."

When we had one of these threads before, someone tossed out Maura Tierney's name for Christine Vale and that's stuck with me since. I just finished The Red King a few days ago and she's very solidly my mental image of the Titan's Exec, now.

Not to pick nits, but Farrell plays Eugene Levy doing Trebek.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ds9R:
    Vaughn: I couldn't cast him in my mind till right now, and i have to go with James Brolin
    Prynn: Grace Park
    Bowers: I used to say J. August Richards, but now hearing the 20 year vet thing I'm gonna go with DB Woodside
    Trier: Suzie Plakson
    Shar: Vincent Kartheiser
    New Frontier:
    Mac: Joe Flanigan
    Soleta: I like Jennifer Conelly
    Zak Kebron voice: Michael Clark Duncan
    Vanguard:
    Diego Reyes: Edward James Olmos
    The rest would go along with David Mack's cast on his annotations for Harbinger
    Titan:
    Vale: Katee Sackhoff
    Jaza: Jesse L. Martin

Riverside2233 likes this.
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

I might be misremembering this, but a while ago, didn't Heather Jarman state that she'd modelled Thriss on The West Wing's Janel Moloney? If so, perfect choice.

(And it's kind of interesting, isn't it, how many TWW castmembers' names have been bandied about on this thread?)

16. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

BTW, when I sat down to read After the Fall and Missing in Action recently, I had NO trouble, none, hearing Joe Flanigan's voice for Calhoun. It fit like a glove.

17. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

No way. He's all wrong. Bruce Boxleitner would be the better choice.

And for Calhoun, I go with Alex Baldwin.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

*shakes head*

Maybe this is my distain for Atlantis, but I still cannot see Flanigan as Calhoun. He looks the part, but he definately doesn't not sound it. At least, not in my head.

19. Haval_Runa

^^ Bruce Boxleitner for Vaughn? Vaughn's supposed to be over 100 years old. Even being in prime physical condition for his age, he should look decades older than Boxleitner. IMHO, he should look a few decades older than his pictures on the book covers.

20. Christopher

But humans live longer in the future and presumably age more slowly. Picard is a decade older than Patrick Stewart.