Pacific Rim Wondercon trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Apr 30, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't really make any sense, what-so-fucking-ever; not sure it really needs to.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Overall, it looks cool. Some of the stuff in that command centre with Idris Elba looks kind of cartoony, but then this is a movie about giant robots so cartoony is to be expected. That bit at the end with the robot dragging the boat and using it as club to beat the monster kicks fucking ass and sold the movie for me.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Any trailer that puts a big grin on my face gets my vote.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I absolutely loved every second of that trailer. It was already one of my most anticipated movies, but this trailer has made me even more excited.

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They had me at Giant Robot... although I always thought a single pilot makes more sense if they're using something that replicates the movements of a human body via a mind-interface.

7. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't understand why they seem to need two pilots who are mimicking each others moves.

Other than that, it looks like fantastic fun.

8. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Love it. The big boat baseball bat moment wins my heart.

While sure it makes more sense to have one pilot from a "real-world" stand-point--huge goddamn robots and huge kaiju monsters notwithstanding... I can understand the reason they choose this from a dramatic standpoint.

9. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Maybe their brains are the robot's "CPU" and they need two in order to perform the calculations necessary for nimble movement of something that huge.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, usually they require teenagers to sync. ;)

11. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not particularly into the giant robots genre, but this looks interesting... agreed that dragging the ship was the best bit. :lol:

12. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Big, fun, mindless entertainment! I'm in! :D Also loved the tanker club! :techman: This is one that I'll need to shell out to see the 3D version.

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I showed this to my seven-year-old last night. As expected, he made appropriate noises of appreciation at just the right spots. And he started quizzing me about the computer voice from Portal ... good boy!

But he also asked other questions like, "Why are they so big?" and it occurred to me that he's had almost no exposure to the kinds of things those of us who grew up in the age of UHF took for granted.

So father and son embarked on a ninety minute history lesson covering vital subjects like Godzilla and Ultraman. YouTube was quite helpful in this regard, but disappointing in any hunt for long sequences. He now recognizes Godzilla, Rodan, Gamera, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Ultraman on sight. I've left subtleties like the Godzilla/Gojira distinctions for his teenage backlash years.

He gets it now.

14. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Surprised he wouldn't be aware of Power Rangers, is that still a thing? Probably the only modern equivalent to giant robots/monsters for kids.

I'm leery of this movie. It's going to be cheese, for sure, but I was really underwhelmed by the Transformers films. The last one, especially... After 90 minutes, I found myself wondering when the actual film proper was going to start (it all felt like an extended cold open), and then the credits started to roll.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Well, the good thing is that Bay had nothing to do with this film.

16. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Big robots that smash!
    Yeah, I'm there. :)

17. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

When I heard he was involved with the TMNT reboot, my eyes immediately started to roll.

I do have more faith in del Toro to direct an inspired film, but I'll wait for reviews before I pass judgement. I am also interested in seeing Charlie Day play (what appears to be, for a monster movie) a straight-man character.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I' curious to see Day too. I'm a big It's Always Sunny In Phedelphia fan, so it's going to be strange seeing him play such a different character.

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Any trailer that puts a huge, big and dumb grin on my face is bound to make me see the movie :techman:

Damn.. it's a Michael Bay movie but with a director/writer/producer who actually knows how to make such a movie have actual story and engaging moments.

I can't wait to see this del Toro blockbuster (and i agree.. the coolest moment is this Jaeger using a friggin' ship to bash a Kaiju monster :guffaw::guffaw::rofl:).

20. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

giant robots fight giant monsters, what is not to love?? Can't wait for this movie!!