Will there be an explaination for how enterprise can go underwater?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: Will there be an explaination for how enterprise can go underwater

I did. That's why I used the ;) and followed it with play on the "get the wagons in a circle" bit from far too many Westerns.

2. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472

Well Voyager in season 5 was referenced to be able to go under water with some modification,the Delta Flyer also did go underwater. but since the new movies are less technical and more action they might throw a few words about the subject.

3. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Let's see.

It can materialize matter just about anywhere one could want.

It can travel faster than light.

It has particle weapons.

It can fly close to the Sun.

It can fly through pea-soup nebulas.

But it can't get wet?

4. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472

haha that is so true :rommie:

5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

No. It mustn't get wet. Nor should it be exposed to tooo bright a light, and under NO circumstances are you to feed its core additional antimatter after midnight!

I mean duh. Obviously.

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner has some experience with gremlins:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's just a matter of seeing Star Trek for what it really is, i.e. fun, occasionally smart space opera, instead of believing the self-perpetuating myths which see it as first-class cerebral science-fiction.

If your suspension of disbelief can't stand the thought of the Enterprise going underwater, it means that the whole of Star Trek has to be rewritten in order to accommodate the kind of critical thinking you're advocating. In the end, I think that would be futile and won't make Star Trek any better.

8. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

one word... Midichlorians.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

In the context of the 1960s technology when TOS was conceived, the idea of the Enterprise soaring through the atmosphere without problems and diving underwater might seem cartoonish to many viewers.

These days, some military aircraft are so non-aerodynamic they would fall from the sky like rocks if it weren't for the computers keeping them airborne. So in that context, a starship 200 years from now that can both easily fly through the atmosphere and even go under water seems at least plausible.

I suppose part of updating Trek is keeping ahead of what may be possible or at least realistic without being silly.

10. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Mr Scott will just make some adjustments and, POOF! the ship will be able to withstand the pressures of being under water.
    He really should be called Saint Scott, as he pulls off miracle after miracle. ;)

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Because, um, it's a stupid idea that only makes sense for visual impact?

12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Which is the same argument that SW Prequel apologists used. Let's tear down the originals in order to make the new ones look better in comparison.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We won't know whether it makes sense or not until we know the reason it was done.

14. BillJ

Funny, I still enjoy my Trek just fine.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be more interested in the explanation for why the Enterprise even needs to go underwater.

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not tearing down anything. I love Star Trek. But it's not as highbrown as some people make it out to be.

17. BillJ

This is what I want. I don't care about the technobabble, I just want there to be an actual mission reason for it.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I saw the nine-minute preview the other night and it took very little effort to infer why it was underwater, without an explicit explanation. I actually prefer it when films don't stop and have a character engage in lengthy exposition to "fill in the blanks"--I can do that just fine, thanks.

Also, I think worrying about whether it can survive a few dozen meters below the surface of a large body of water, in light of all the other rather fantastical things the Enterprise (in each of its iterations) has already done, is rather absurd on the face of it. The ship is a prop in service to the story--it can do whatever the story calls upon it to do. As it always has been.

19. BillJ

Do tell...

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But then I would be engaging in the kind of exposition I usually complain about when it comes from characters. ;)

Kirk and McCoy are running away from the natives wearing some sort of costume that hides their appearance completely (until late into the running away), so they don't want to be seen. Kirk is carrying something (a scroll of some sort) that the natives desperately want back (hence the chase) and that is deliberate as Kirk announces via communicator to both the Enterprise and the shuttlecraft that the natives are out of the immediate "kill zone"). The shuttlecraft experiences problems coping with the volcanic emissions and Sulu and Uhura are forced to abandon the craft while Kirk and McCoy are forced to jump into the water to escape being seen clearly by the natives. Aboard the Enterprise, we learn via dialogue that Spock cannot be beamed out directly from the volcano to their position because of some sort of magnetic field interference (what? a planet with an environmental component that interferes with the transporter? How could Abrams violate canon like that? :lol:).

Inference: The field that interferes with the transporter could also wreak havoc with sensors (quite likely as sensors and transporter seem to work in conjunction), so the ship must be much closer than usual to the planet. Hiding underwater is easiest way to hide from the natives.

Simple, really.