Trying to remember an episode.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sojourner, Feb 25, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hi,
    Trying to remember an episode of Voyager that dealt with an alternate reality version and main reality version of voyager. Not sure if I remember it right, but I think that the ship in one of the realities was destroyed but not before the Harry Kim of that reality making it to the surviving Voyager.

The reason I need help is that it occurred to me that this brings up a conundrum. Either main reality Voyager was destroyed and from that point on we are following "our" Harry Kim's adventures in an alternate reality - or - "our" Harry Kim died and from that point on "our" Voyager has alternate Harry Kim.

So, what am I remembering wrong?

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 2, Deadlock

Harry and Ensign Wildman's new born babe died on the partially destroyed Voyager, and Harry Kim from the healthy Voyager ( that unfortunately was boarded by the vidians) carried THAT Ensign Wildman's baby to the damaged Voyager.

The ep ended with one of the most often quoted lines in Voyager...

JANEWAY: It's good to have you back, Ensign.
    KIM: Thank you, I think.
    JANEWAY: Something wrong?
    KIM: I'm not sure. I mean, this isn't really my ship, and you're not really my captain. And yet, you are and there's no difference. But I know there's a difference. Or is there? It's all a little weird.
    JANEWAY: Mister Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job.

You aren't remembering anything "wrong".

3. sojourner

So, depending on your point of view, we could have been watching an alternate timeline for the final 5 seasons. Wooo, that makes the show that much easier to handle. So many travesties dismissed with a simple phrase: alternate timeline/universe.

4. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    No. It was not an alternate timeline. The ship itself was split in two. In the same timeline.

So, yes, you are remembering incorrectly.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A spacial scission was duplicatiing the matter of the ship but not the antimatter. i went through this last month...

Kes who travelled over, her Naomi died. She had the phaseshift in her dna. She was fake. The replacement Naomi and replacement Kim were both real mastermolds which did not have phaseshifts in their dna.

6. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Funny thing, that episode. When I was a kid I always wanted a subscription to all the Star Trek magazines but, growing up poor, it wasn't going to happen. And yet somehow -- and I'll be damned if I can remember how -- I wound up with some special edition of the main magazine, as well as the issues for DS9 and VOY, from around the time "Deadlock" aired.

They had a big special on that one, so what with me being a kid, I took this to mean that it was an incredibly important 'event' episode and super-big.

I've never quite shaken that belief from my system, which is cool because, hey, it's a pretty good ep.

7. sojourner

So, its still sounds to me like we could have been following a "fake" voyager for 5 seasons. Or at least a real voyager with a fake Harry Kim onboard.

8. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We'll go with fake Harry Kim. Somehow it just doesn't feel like he deserves to be real.

9. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, both Harry Kim & Voyager were real.
    They were no more fake than Siamese twins are.

Seriously, just watch the ep. again.

10. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    As a few folks mentioned, it is a pretty neat episode (I had no idea it was featured in a Trek mag!) It's worth a rewatch.

11. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My favourite Season 2 episode (: And copying others, we aren't watching wrong Voyager. Well from season 4 Demon to Season 5's Course: Oblivion.

12. Guy Gardener

Explain the phase shift in the dna of the duplicated crew?

The two crews are not identical.

13. exodus

According to the ep., they were.

Be'Lanna & Janeway said that both Voyager & crew were identical but joined by anti-matter. They couldn't even explain the phase shift in the show because when Harry asks about what is real and what isn't, they blantently don't even try answering it. So, it really doesn't mean anything.

14. Guy Gardener

B'Elanna and Janeway were using their "eyes" to create such a supposition. Their eyes wouldn't be able to tell the difference between real and androids, real and holograms, real and quicksilver or real and surgically altered Romulans.

Human eyes, even Vulcan eyes and Klingon eyes are just shit for microcellular examination.

Kes on the other hand used a microcellular scanner to compare her otherself to what was on record as "normal" for the both of them.

Different.

Of course you can either say that imperfect copies were created, the originals were corrupted by the duplication process while creating perfect copies, or that initially they were identical until one crew/ship were shunted out of phase with the other so that they could coexist in the same space time which corrupted their DNA.

15. exodus

However what I did say was they didn't bother to explain it, so it doesn't matter.;)

16. Guy Gardener

Janeway had the opportunity to create a new slave race. Her life could have been so much easier if she created more crew, and maybe a few more ships.

I think the surviving Janeway knew she was the fake and didn't want to chance being demoted into a second class citizen. Brushed it all under the carpet before she was put in a collar and lead and forced to sleep in a kennel by the real human beings who thought it best to treat their property economically.

Kim was just too dim to notice the conspiracy festering all around him.

Good god, the effort "Fauxway" here went to such selfish lengths to guard the secrets of her unnatural birth, she cockblocked that corner of the Delta Quadrant from sleeping safe at night when the scission could have been a humane substitute for the raiding parties that were hooning around butchering the spacelanes.

17. sojourner