Loki Class destroyer model

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Forbin, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is JTResin's rendition of Jackill's lovely little Excelsior-era popsicle ship. I think it's the prettiest destroyer anyone's ever designed.

I created aztecking decals by altering the downloadable Carlos Zangrando aztec art for the saucer, and made some of my own for the nacelle.

I also made my own name and registry decals - for some reason Franz Joseph's Shaitan has always been a cool-sounding name to me.

Finish is Tamiya pearl white.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In know the megaphaser pylons are supposed to cant inward, but that just looked odd to me. I think it looks more like horns my way (as apropos for a "Loki" named after a devil). I also ditched the "stinger" megaphaser, whose forward nozzle aimed straight into the engine!

2. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Excellent work, as usual! :bolian:

I like this design - it seems better proportioned than other destroyer / "popsicle ship" examples. It's actually kind of graceful.

Is that a hangar deck below the "horns?" One pet peeve of mine regarding most single-nacelle ships is the lack of a shuttlebay.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loving this!! Can't put my finger on it, but it just works!

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Freak'n epically well built model :)

5. KNH

KNH Commander Red Shirt

Let's show those mewling klingon quims what Starfleet is all about!

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Gorgeous, and one of my favorite Jackill designs as well.

7. Kaiser

Huh i just looked at the rear mega Phaser on the schematic weird i never noticed it there....

IMHO for a destroyer shes very well armed 0o Id label the design a Heavy Cruiser or Battle Frigate

Has anyone version of this design but in typical Saucer, Secondary hull, 2 Nacelles combo?

8. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always had a soft spot for this design.

Interesting that you picked Shaitan for a "horned" variant, since the Arabic word "Shaytan" is the origin of our western word "Satan" (though the devil in Christian mythology is quite a different animal from the devil in Islamic mythology).

9. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Rather nice looking little ship! :cool::techman:

10. Forbin

Yup, one of my favorite Jackill designs!

11. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny how the 1701-B saucer would have been a better option for the impulse engines, as that's the one nit I have with this.

I love that you went with the coppery engine grilles as opposed to lit ones.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

looks like a slug, but in a good way

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This may have been one of Jackill's designs, but IIRC, it is predated by the first, less armed incarnation, the Joshua Class Command Cruiser. Cygnus X1 has the original blueprints, supposedly by Shane Johnson. While the publication date is unclear, I do recall getting this set at a con at least a year or two before the Jackills datasheets started producing the variants.

And yes, I always loved this brand of Excelsior-era variants on the original designs. I always felt they really worked, aesthetically.

14. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Not quite. The English word "Satan" derives from the Hebrew term "Ha-satan" which means "resister" or "opposer" and was in use for over a thousand years before the prophet's doings and sayings were recorded in the Qur'an.

However, as both Arabic and Hebrew derive from a common lingual ancestor (Central Semitic) it's possible that the two words share a common root rather than one having been derived from the other.

So, Shaitan in the context of "Astray" or, perhaps even more appropriately, "Distant" could be a perfectly appropriate name for a starship.

--Alex

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  15. secretreeve

secretreeve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

haha just saw this over on hobby talk, fantastic work!

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto the above. IIRC, I purchased a copy of those plans at a Trek convention around 1988 or 1989. The dealer excitedly informed me that they were the first design he'd seen based on TNG. Personally, I think they belong in the period somewhere between the TOS movies and TNG, but that's another story.

In any case, some more fantastic modeling work by Forbin!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  17. Forbin

Oh dear. It's a Shane Johnson design?
    Damn. The first place I saw it was in Jackill's book #3.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

In the original plans I have, I never actually saw a name for anyone, nor a publication date. However, Cygnus X1 does have the author as being Shane Johnson. So I suspect they either found some fine print in the sheets that I missed or the independently confirmed the author as a part of their bibliography citation.

Not sure if Mr. Johnson is here on the board or not to verify the origin of the design.

19. Kaiser

Is he even alive still? and still doing stuff?

20. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice work Forbin. The view of the shuttlecraft coming in for a landing would be rather interesting.