Warehouse 13 renewed for fifth/final seasonfinal

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 17, 2013.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

At the convention, Rene said he was asked to do an appearance on one of the last six. He said he was going to try to do it, but his schedule was tight.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, I have to ask: What's wrong with "fluff"? Singin' in the Rain is fluff. A Night in the Opera is fluff. North by Northwest is fluff.

There's no rule that says that genre shows have to be deep and serious to deserve a long run. I can think of a lot of "non-fluffy" shows that I'm going to miss less than WH13.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

OK, this is not a hard and fast thing, but a general feeling I have, but WH13 in this instance, and for another example, Chuck, have pretty much exhausted their permutations by about the third season. You can putter along doing much the same thing for a season or two more but...I enjoyed both, but it was time to go. I felt the same about 'non-fluffy' Lost but was invested enough to stay to the disappointing end whereas I may not with WH13.

I must admit that there is always the chance that the creators will have a resurgence and seasons 6 onwards could be outstanding, but it's unlikely.

YMMV.

4. Greg Cox

Fair enough. Certainly we can all think of shows that were running on fumes near the end, although, personally, I'm not convinced that comedic shows have shorter expiration dates than more dramatic ones.

In general, trying to figure out when to pull the plug is easier said than done. Shows tend to overstay their welcome (hello, X-Files) or end too soon (Firefly, we hardly knew ye), but hitting it just right? That's a rare accomplishment. (I'm having trouble thinking of a good example right now.)

To me, Warehouse 13 still seems to have plenty of juice left, but, of course, that's a judgment call.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Hitting it just right is the real trick, and rarely done.

Anyone got any examples ?

6. Greg Cox

I admit I was stumped. I briefly considered suggesting TNG, but there's an ongoing thread on this very board debating whether it was cancelled too soon!

Maybe XENA? I loved it dearly, but even I thought it was starting to run out of steam in its final season. Did it end right on time--or one season too late?

7. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Xena ended "on time"... although I wouldn't have minded a reunion movie (or THREE) over the first 5 years after it ended. ;)

"The Pretender" was an example of a show that ended too soon. Although it DID get 2 reunion films, :drool: they were NOT enough to satisfy the hard core (me!) fans. :(

WHY did that old woman have to walk in on Jarod and Miss Parker at THAT moment?????? :cardie:

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Warehouse 13 isn't fluff; it's a good, solid adventure show. The term fluff implies useless filler-- that's applicable to infomercials and reality shows. :rommie:

As for when is the right time to cancel a show-- there is none. There will always be people who want to keep watching and people who don't (although it's a lot easier to stop watching when a show is still on the air than it is to keep watching when it's off).

That would be nice. I'd like to see all the major recurring characters show up at the end if possible.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's certainly not what I intended. I meant lightweight, enjoyable, non too serious family fayre.

I have another word for what you describe. It starts with 'sh'...

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  10. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

How about The West Wing (non-genre, obviously) or Buffy?

dJE

11. Greg Cox

I've heard people argue that Buffy should have ended with Season Five. Not sure I agree with that (we would have lost the musical ep, which is sublime), but I'm not sure anybody thinks Season Seven was the show at its peak . . ..

12. RJDiogenes

Gotcha. :rommie:

13. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are good arguments to be made that WW should have ended when Sorkin left after 4 seasons. And other arguments that the show had refound its groove in season 7 and there should have been a Santos or Vinick Whitehouse.

As others have said, you will always find people who think a show lasted too long and people who think the same show should have kept going.

14. McDuff

McDuff Commander Red Shirt

Spartacus also ended at the right time on a high note.

Although a spin off series about Ceasar and Roman Triumvirates would be most welcome.

15. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I've always felt like DS9 ended precisely where it should have. There were more stories it could have told but they'd really been doing so well for several seasons at that point that it's difficult for me to imagine a non-war season successfully scrambling together a similar strength after the creators had gotten so good at the gloom.

16. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which is somewhat telling, DS9 knew it was getting 7 years. TNG was pulled after 7, so DS9 knew 7 would be it for them too. As a result they were able to pace themselves and bring the story to a natural ending point. Most other shows don't know when they're ending until almost the end.

17. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The question is what would happen in America to make them want to move the Warehouse again? Warehouse 11 shut down due to the aftermath of Napoleon's attempt to invade Russia. Warehouse 12 shut down due to the onset of World War I. What could make America unattractive enough? You guessed it - Obamacare.

18. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh... :confused: And here I was gonna guess a super volcano explosion in Yellowstone, one NOT caused by HG.

19. RJDiogenes

I don't think they'll do anything that deviates so far from reality. The premise of the show is that this stuff is happening in the shadows of "our" world. If they move the Warehouse, I'm sure it will be because of something more subtle.

20. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps with the TV show ending, it would be the perfect time for a series of books to carry on the adventures of the W13 team (or possibly even begin the W14 era, depending on how things end with the series). I'm sure "A Touch of Fever" has been feeling lonely on the shelf these last couple of years. :)