Which movie does Kirk cherish his flaws?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by ipso, Oct 2, 2012.

1. ipso

ipso Cadet Newbie

In one of the movies (I believe it was a feature film) there is a scene where Kirk has dialogue with someone about his weaknesses – his historical failings and character flaws. He states something to the effect that he derives great motivation from these imperfections; he NEEDS them (surely said with a grimace and a clenched fist.) He is NOT ashamed. They are what drive him to do the great things he does.

Which movie was that?

Thanks!

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

"I need my pain!"

3. ipso

ipso Cadet Newbie

Thank you! I'll watch it tonight.

4. Greg Cox

No problem.

FYI: The scene you're thinking of takes place near the end, when Kirk confronts "God" on an alien planet . . . .

And, if you're interested, Kirk comes to a similar realization in "The Enemy Within," one of the original TV episodes. (Written by Richard Matheson.)

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's scenes like this that I feel elevate this movie above the "drek" that many would accuse it of being. There is substance there.

6. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've always maintained that if you ignore much of the 'God at the center of the galaxy' story and focus on the character moments between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, then ST:V is a much more enjoyable film.

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. Trek V may be a good movie "in spite of" much, rather than "because", but it's still a good movie.

8. Greg Cox

It had its moments, I suppose, but it's still pretty much of a mess.

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that is one of the more underrated TOS episodes. I know it's a little cheesey and they stuck a horn on a dog, but I think the premise that we need our 'dark side' so to speak, albeit tempered, is valid.

10. grabthars hammer

grabthars hammer Captain Captain

Kirk cherishing his flaws/pain gives him a nice character moment but only at the expense of trashing the rest of the cast's characters, since none of them apparently were deep thinkers and easily gave in to Sybok's pain-sharing blabber.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree with this. Ignore the plot. Focus on the friendship between the Big 3. It's so much better than way.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Isn't it actually during an earlier scene? The one where we see Sarek's disapproval of Spock's humanity and the suffering of McCoy's father.

13. Greg Cox

Hmm. You could be right. I confess I haven't watched the movie in years.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, thats when it happened.

15. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

That movie was used for torture prisoners somewhere.

16. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was a horribly thought out plot point. Although the novel gives some explanation, the movie never makes it clear whether Sybok is simply convincing people through smooth talking, controlling them through some type of telepathy, or a combination of the two.

Regardless though, we see that out of a crew of 430+, Kirk and Spock are the only ones able to resist Sybok's control outright, with McCoy coming around once he sees Kirk and Spock resist. We see Scotty acting normally, but only because he wasn't around Sybok at any point to be controlled. Everyone else was apparently co-opted without difficulty, including the rest of the command crew, which strains credibility beyond belief.

17. Greg Cox

Yeah, that's one of my big problems with the movie. It's a bit muddled . . . .

18. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the movie, and Kirk's push-back on Sybok is definitely a highlight.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've seen what Vulcan mind powers can do in Trek a LOT of times (most similarly in Voyager's "Investigations") so I have no problem whatsoever with the crew falling to Sybok's will. Kirk and Spock being the only ones able to resist.... it's Star Trek! Of course it's gonna be them who can resist, and not Ensign Bloggs from deck 36:p

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bathetic, chest-thumping, superficial drivel...but substance of a sort nonetheless. :lol: