The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Goodo. :) To be honest, I don't see the season sets costing THAT much...

The only upcoming series set of comparable size I could see on play.com was The Twilight Zone series 5 on Blu Ray, and that was £39.99. Most modern season sets are only about £20 on Blu Ray. Sure, TNG-HD has got more work done to it which I suppose may inflate the price some, but if they charge any more than £50/$75 they'll be overcharging it IMO. Plus, no one charges full retail anyway. It'll probably be £40/$60 a set if that.

2. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I'm watching TNG on BBC America right now and I really can't believe how fuzzy the show is, I am SO looking forward to this TNG-R!!!!

3. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

MSRP for the TOS BDs is $129.99/season. I expect they'll use that as a guideline and set a MSRP of $129.99 or at most $139.99. They won't want to go too far over what their own MSRPs are conditioning us to expect.

Another way to try to project the MSRP is to extrapolate from the MSRP of the sampler. A rate of $22.99 for four "hours" projects to $1023.05 for 178 hours, or $146.15 per season.

Of course, MSRP and actual price may be quite different.

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I really want to own all the seasons of TNG on HD, but I can't really justify paying more than $50 / season....$70 tops, not with a wife and kid to feed. :( I hope they don't over charge for these....$100+ is far too much.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're confusing MSRP with actual retail price. TOS may have had a $130/season MSRP, but you could find it for $60-70 the week it came out.

6. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

... and the release cycle might only be one season per year - two at most. That's relatively easy to budget for even at MSRP if you save $10-20 per month in advance.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think this is one of those cases where the recompositing of the elements is entirely at fault. They could easily have applied filters that would have minimized the problem with showing the "thready" quality of the tentacles.

9. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking at that video again, I'm sure I can still see noticeable dirt/scratches on the film during the Farpoint atmospheric ascent sequence, around the 44-45 second mark. I assume this means that they haven't gone to the effort of removing dirt, scratches and hairs from the original film as they did in TOS-R - a bit of a disappointment. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNhpKEpiKRs#t=0m44s - but you have to watch closely on the right side due to the size of the video provided)

Apart from that, the improved colour timing is perfect - gone are the muted washed out colours, thank god! Can't really tell much else from the video due to its reduced size.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

And they came out several years ago when it was still a new, largely unadopted format. I'm not sure about the US, but Blu Ray sets have dropped dramatically in price here in the UK. Hell, I picked up all 4 seasons of BSG for under £100 2 years ago. Now, it can be had for £65. The individual season sets were about £35/£40 at the time. I really can't see how charging more than $100 is going to happen. Unless Blu Ray prices remain unchanged in the states.

11. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see what you mean. I also see what appears to be dirt and scratches in the EW comparison footage. However, if you look at the new footage in the Blu Ray second trailer (which also features the alien atmospheric ascent footage) the scratches are gone and there isn't any noticable damage in any of the shots.

12. FrontierTrek

Hmm - all I can assume is that this video was compiled *before* the previous one, very strange!

But I've added it to the coverage at TrekCore. I've also taken two frames from the live action in the trailer and compared them with DVD grabs of the same frame. You can view it here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html#farpoint

Somewhat limited by the quality of the video, but the differences in colour timing are quite beautiful and just look at that new compositing on the Zorn frame! Goodbye bad blue-screen viewscreen work!

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Pre-ordered the sampler disc today. :techman:

14. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

15. FrontierTrek

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I am really curious to see how the "consuming blackness" that's in the corner of the screen during some of the "trial" in EaF is corrected/replaced.

17. FrontierTrek

Do you mean this?? http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x01/farpoint1_182.jpg

That's always bothered me too - It's almost like they threw something over the camera to black out the top of the shot!

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hell, I don't even think that's the worst example from that scene. I recall a shot where pretty much the only thing visible is Picard's head. (I think it's the scene where Picard turns ad shoutingly admits that humanity has had its flaws.)

19. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Re cost of sets: Trek fans have always gotten gouged out the wazoo on dvds. Trek is one of a handful of shows whose season sets routinely MSRP for over $100.

Most are $35-50 at most.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I picked up all 4 season of Heroes for £30. Releastically whilst it might be the first time for blu-ray realese. It's the fourth release of the show in the UK

VHS
    Hard case DVD
    Soft case DVD

so Blu-ray will make it the 4th time it's been released. Releastically you are maybe looking at £50/season max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.