53 Reasons Why We Need a New Star Trek TV Series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Sector 7, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just posted on AOL News by Kris LoPresto. I thought it was hilarious (and some of it is true):
    Some of my work is even mentioned in the list.:devil: Yours may be, too!

Comments? Criticisms? This could be fun!

2. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Another spin-off series will just dilute what Trek should be about.

There are too many characters in the Canon universe, too many of them inoffensive and bland, quoting cheesy lines in unimaginative/cliched events and situations to fill the gaps in the trek time line.

Would be better if people grew some balls and made a new Sci fi show from scratch, but then again modern business driven producers dont want to take risks, and settle for exploiting old ideas and stories.

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I realize it's a joke list, but I just have to point out that 500 years in the past from the first Star Trek film would be rougly 1758. Not sure how someone would sell a Star Trek franchise show set in the mid-18th century.

Unless we're talking about the immortal Flint and his adventures (IN SPPPAAAAAAAAACE) after he dropped his Leonardo Da Vinci identity.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Gene Roddenberry would "have" enjoy the series taking on new social and political questions of today.

If only he hadn't been secretly murdered by the government!!!

Hello, Horatio Hornblower is space. It was part of Roddenberry's original pitch for the series.

:)

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Whilst I am totally in favour of a gay Captain I really don't expect the PTB to do it. A gay character would be nice though. First Officer, maybe. I understand there aren't many qualifications.

One thing about this statement does puzzle me though. The whole 'openly gay' thing. Was there a closeted Captain at some point? :)

6. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

And just one thing that kills them all - personalities. Moonves has to try to get out of his own way which can be very difficult if you think you are everything, and since there's no way through him, someone must try to get around him. And not some slick JJ disciple with nothin'. A personality with vision will save Trek but so far he doesn't exist. At least not to good old les with his blinders on. People get what they deserve. Excusivity cuts both ways.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBS isn't making the movies and #6 should be grounds for expulsion from Trekdom (turn in your communicator badge immediately!!!) but I kinda like the USS Viper idea...

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It ran out of steam after item 7 - you could boil this down to about 10 good ones.

Numbers 5 and 6 were particularly good. :lol:

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I can think of at least two shows that will be on TV this year that will feature a spaceship (of some sort).

Red Dwarf and Doctor Who, true both of those are British shows. If Red Dwarf returns to a format similar to previous seasons, many episodes will be set onboard the ship

10. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He spelled Khan wrong.

Just sayin'.

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's only really one good reason why we need another Star Trek series:

Because there are plenty of fans just waiting for one, sufficient to produce ample viewer turnout.

12. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Cute list.

But we need a new Star Trek series to critique our culture and make us examine what we have become. And that will force us to become something better.

Roddenberry took a lot heat for Next Gen being so "politically correct." I remember hearing his speak at a con back in the 80s.

He created almost perfect characters because believed that people minicked what they saw on television. He said that Next Gen was not what we are "but what we should become."

Now if we could only do that.

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

20. American Horror Story meets Star Trek.
    Interesting episode idea, but not for a series.

25. Vulcan-on-Vulcan sex scene.
    Lesbian Vulcan-on-Vulcan sex scene, it's only logical.

38. Episode 97: First Officer Drake gets hooked on space drugs ...
    This too might make for a interesting episode, drug use inside Starfleet, and the Federation was never well looked into. Is it a problem? How do they deal with it?

44: An HBO Star Trek series with a similar tone to Game of Thrones ...
    Icky, no, go away, stupid idea.

45: An entire series set on the sick bay of a Starship where they must treat unsual space illnesses. Think House but in space!
    While I never got into House, I loved CSI (Vegas). A Star Trek show that de-emphisizes "the command crew" and features a team of investigators working a problem or mystery every week. It wouldn't have to be medical, but it could be.

Doctor House didn't run the hospital he worked in. Nightshift Grissom (CSI) didn't run the Las Vegas Police Department. Team leader Gibbs doesn't run NCIS, they aren't the "people upstairs."

There has been some conjecture (some by me) that the reason we don't see gays in Star Trek is because they are in some way being "suppressed" by the Federation's overall society. Think America sixty years ago. So having a Captain who make the decision to be openly gay would be one way of introducing gays into the Star Trek world.

The story line could mirror the historical gay coming out that actually occurred in our society, but set in the Star Trek universe, a on going B-story, or C-story that is one aspect of the series, but not the only subject of the series.

The Captain could meet with acceptance from some, but rejection, resistance and condemnation from other in Starfleet and the Federation on general. And even those aboard his (her) own ship.

This would be an alternative to suddenly showing gays and saying oh yeah "they" were alway here, and alway accepted.

The Federation is all inclusive, please don't ask too many questions.

:)

14. lisa

lisa Lieutenant Red Shirt

So eloquently said....

Love it.

I may be in the minority here, I know people keep giving ideas for a new way to do a Trek series, but I would like to see another show about the bridge crew on the enterprise! Maybe its because I never got to watch a series on TV when it was new (I was 12 when Enterprise came out and I didn't have a TV till I was 17!) but I would love to fall in love with a new Captain! Get to know a new crew! maybe they could explore a whole new part of space or it could be set a hundred years after Next Gen... Whatever it is I think they should stay with the tried and true formula.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It was touched on in "Valiant". Tim Watters seemed to have a problem with some kind of stimulants, though it was never really looked at. Especially in post-DW era, I can see a whole lot of problems like this cropping up, mixed with survivors guilt and a big helping of PTSD. Would definately make for some interesting character development

The time to make a statement about a gay character on Trek passed long ago. When one is included, it shouldn't be used to define the character (it shouldn't appear in any press releases, etc), but just be one small facet of who they are. So that when he/she has a same sex partner, it is done so in a non-hyped manner. Its just a person engaging in a healthy, happy relationship.

16. Sector 7

I agree, Bry_Sinclair, Trek lost out on being cutting edge in relation to gay people long ago.

NOTE: While it's always nice to be quoted:devil:, I did not write the article. I enjoyed it and reprinted it here.

17. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CSI: Starfleet?

SCIS (Starfleet Criminal Investigative Service)?

M

18. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really don't see this as a viable way for them to bring homosexual relationships onto the screen... Starfleet obviously doesn't have a problem with mixed race / species relationships... as evidenced by the amount of half whatever characters around... and it's perfectly logical to assume that there are aliens in the Trek universe who have more than one sex... male, female, whatever else... i'm sure at one point it was said the Andorian's had 4 sexes... so limiting relationships to male / female wouldn't really work for an organisation like Starfleet...

I'd rather just have it included and passed as just part of the character... doesn't need to be any big fuss about it or anything, in 300 years or so, i damn well hope we're over homophobia and ignorance... if not then i really hope the first alien culture we come into contact with, blows the hell out of this planet for it's continued stupidity

M

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

He failed the test. Warsie spy in our midst.

20. Sector 7

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: