Digital Radio

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by John Picard, Oct 1, 2008.

1. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

The radio in my 1997 Dodge Ram has been problematic for quite a while. The tape deck doesn't work well and the biggest problem is the volume control. In cold weather, when I first set off on my drive, the volume knob is useless. Attempts to decrease the volume are met by the radio performing the opposite to the point I almost go deaf, while attempting the increase the volume level equals the "mute" function of a television. The radio isn't worth the cost to repair, so I've been thinking of getting a new radio that is satellite compatible, with a CD player and iPod ready, etc. With that in mind, I've been thinking of getting a radio that can also receive digital signals. As I understand it, just about every large city has an amazing number of digital channels with many offerings. I'm curious if anyone here has a digital radio and is willing to supply feedback. I'm undecided if I will even bother to subscribe to satellite since a friend of mine stated that satellite is getting as bad as regular commercial radio in regards to repeating songs. I'm trying to escape that as the market where I live is very limited and the classic rock station on my dial plays way too much Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have XM. I love it. It does tend to replay some of the same songs, but that's only if you're listening to Top Tracks or something similar. I've found a couple of stations that I really enjoy called Rock @ Random and Deep Tracks. I also like to have if for MLB, NHL, and NCAA football. There are promo codes out there for free activation and three months free. If you can find a cheap receiver, I'd check it out.

3. John Picard

Perhaps I will get one that is XM ready.

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Satellite Radio is NOT Digital Radio.

5. John Picard

No kidding :rolleyes: