Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was the point of him leaving his wife (a future storyline, to be sure).

Here's the thing.. he's "Google guy", meaning his WHOLE IDENTITY is wrapped up in computers. Without them -- he has no idea what he should/could be doing. Career interest tests (which looking back, were pretty accurate even 20 years ago) would be unavailable (as they're all online nowadays), so he'd have to do trial and error to figure out where he fits. His last gig seemed to be teacher, and one that i think might have come about after trying just about everything else.

It's this new adventure where Aaron is actually finding himself, and who he is.

While there was danger the previous 14 years...i think they had been relatively safe/unchallenged. I doubt he had even been trained to fight...but now he is learning how to kill (for the right reasons), among other strengths he previously didn't need.

He might seem annoying...but i feel like i can relate to his journey (which is clearly not done).

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Within a few episodes, he managed to go from being comic relief to faking his death and taking out a psycho Warlord (Drexler). I'd say he's doing pretty well.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

All fair points - well taken. :)

Like I said, the rest of the show seems quite good to me, and if they start focusing on him more and continuing his development in meaningful ways within a reasonable context within the story, I guess I could warm up to him a bit.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since the went on break NBC has done two webseries,:
    Wheatley's Letters, an animated series which I have not watched yet.
    May 7th
    August 10th
    October 15th
    March 3rd
    May 23rd
    September 15th

Enemies of the State, a live action series focused on Neville and Monroe immediately following Miles assassination attempt. This one just started today.
    Part 1

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. jbohn

jbohn Commander Red Shirt

I thought the part 2 premiere was pretty good, but a few things I could see coming from a mile away. However, the twist at the end I did not!

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Lots of stuff happening in the first episode of the second half of the season:

Jason refuses to butcher the Rebels and their families, gets in to a fight with Dad and gets his ass beaten. Neville tells Monroe his son is dead. I think that will come to bite Neville in the ass later with Monroe. Even though Charlie turned him away I'm sure that sooner or later he'll join up with the rebellion.

Randall teams up with Monroe. What exactly is the Tower and it's purpose? Now that the amplifier is destroyed Monroe will need to get power up and running again. There was just the one that Rachel built, right?

Of course the big thing was Danny dying heroically. What was that thing that his mother removed from his body? I'm guessing it had something to do with his childhood operation. Or aliens did it. :D

I was pretty shocked that Danny was killed off especially since the first half of the season was all about rescuing him. On the one hand it makes the first 10 episodes feel wasted but on the other hand it provides a huge reason for Charlie, Miles, Rachel and Aaron to take the fight to Monroe. It gives them a more personal stake in it other than just wanting to stop Monroe. Now they'll never give up no matter how bad things get.

One other thing. It's pretty obvious that Miles and Rachel have a romantic past with each other. A lot of people are theorizing that Miles is actually Charlie's father. I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route. Revolution does like it's cliches.

P.S.

Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that Danny was killed off since that seems to be Kripke's MO. For the entire first season of Supernatural Sam and Dean were looking for their missing Dad and they reunited with him near the end. however just a few episodes into season 2 their father was killed off. So basically Revolution did the same thing just on a quicker scale.

P.S.S.

The little girl who played young Charlie looked a lot like a younger Tracy Spiradakos. Good find there.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yay! one less annoying teen!

12. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That ep was pretty lame. I might give it to the end of the season, but I think it's hopeless. For killing off a character I was hoping would just die ever since the pilot... that was not very satisfying.

Also, did they all stuff themselves in the fucking fridge (in about 3 seconds) like fucking Indiana Jones 4? For fuck's sake.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, that was just a regular explosive, not a nuclear bomb, so I don't think the situations are that similar.
    As for the episode,I thought it was great. I saw an ad that said someone would die, but I must admit I didn't expect Danny to bite it so soon after they found him. But like Enterprise is Great said, it does give the rest of the Mathesons and Aaron a more personal stake in the fight against Monroe. I was glad to see Jason finally turn on his dad, I've been expecting that for most of the season, so it was nice to actually see it happen so soon into the second half of the season. I did not expect them to destroy the helicopter and the medallion so soon. I figured we'd get at least of handful of episodes with them around, tut then I guess that might have made Monroe too strong. I also didn't expect Randall and Monroe to join forces, but it is kind of nice to see those two thread braided together.

14. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if you buy the fridge saving them from the rockets which clearly penetrated into the diner before exploding... they were literally a short jog from Monroe HQ. What.. nobody tried to follow them on foot? Then the helicopter with dudes on the side hovers 3 feet over the ground without landing and them hopping out to take a look at their handiwork?

Just another pointlessly overdone cliffhanger (by Sci-Fi shows in general) followed up by a nonsensical resolution to get out of the corner they had written themselves into.

Would it really have killed them to have them do something intelligent to evade capture? Get into thicker tree cover and split up to rendezvous later? Something?

Also... "Aim for that one! The amplifier's gotta be on that one!" Wait what? Did I miss something? Was there any reason it 'had' to be in that one? The only story logic I remember was that it would power anything within a certain range... so either the amplified helicopter would be responsible for staying within range of the other or vice versa... there's no obvious necessary strategy there...

So what does that leave? Well, seeing as the amplifier is the most valuable object in the world as far as they know if anything the helicopter carrying it would be under orders to be the more 'defensive' of the two. So which helicopter had it in the end? Why of course it was the one that took the initial aggressive strafing run and exposed itself to small arms fire including losing its side gunner to hot chick 90 degree snap no scope Call of Duty YouTube Montage epic killcam. :lol:

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

It isn't The Walking Dead, that's for sure. Lots of close-ups and pretty people, but substance is woefully lacking. No emotional resonance to the death of the brother, really, with back-story filled in as a plot device for the episode. As opposed to the organic growth of Merle and brother culminating in that gruesome ending.

Meh.

16. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't mind the show so much but I acknowledge that it is all style over substance.

I like how in the pilot people were being thrown back 10 feet after being hit with the arrow from a crossbow and now, 10 episodes later, the brother takes four 50 caliber bullets and barely takes a step back.

17. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Horrible writing, horrible characterizations. Horrible logic and action that made no sense.

But it all served to get rid of some of the excess baggage the show was lugging around, and give our main character a stake in the fight. So structurally it puts the show in a better place moving forward. We'll see if the show can take advantage of it.

Oh, and it was 7.62mm rounds, not 50cal.=p But yeah he should have been knocked down or possibly cut in half.

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last night's episode is OK. Anyone else see it?

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that the guy Miles and Nora went looking for took the name Henry Bemis after he left the militia and is now running a library. Henry Bemis of course is the character played by Burgess Meredith in the classic Twilight Zone episode Time Enough at Last.

Governor Affleck of California? :lol:

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Eh, it was OK. I was glad to see someone finally say, "Just tell me what's going on!" Geez. :lol:

Nice to see the guy from Alphas; glad he's got a new gig. Funny how the library had an entire section devoted to Stephen King and someone is holding The Stand and saying, "It's about the end of the world."

I still think super-teen-girl is the most boring character on the show.