Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does seem like the interest in waning on these sets, but I'm still looking forward to them for two reasons. 1, it's TNG in HD on Blu Ray. That's awesome in itself, and 2, I still think these special features have been amazing. I'm learning so much about this series that I didn't know before and the time and detail that's been put into these features have been worth the price of the discs by themselves. I'm looking forward to hearing them talk about Gene's death, or Wesley leaving, or if they are going to get a round table discussion on the music of the series. Also, I like most of what Taylor did, and I hope she makes an appearance on these special features. Hell, even if there was just one on Chain of Command with her and Patrick Stewart, that would be great by itself because of how realistic the torture in in that episode and how that type of Torture is sorely lacking in TV these days.

2. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt it. Colour correction can only correct colours that are there, and the latter seasons of TNG had a dull colour palette compared to the earlier seasons. Sets were a lot brighter and yellows dominated. There are only a couple of episodes left that I'm curious to see in HD, for example Chain of Command.

3. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Yeah thats true I suppose. I guess as mentioned earlier, the trailers for season 3 and 4 to a certain extent show colours that appear overly bright with poor contrast and no depth, possible that it may be the same for season 5. Guess time will tell. :confused:

4. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regarding colors. The trailer contains some footage which hasn't been color corrected. Trailers are often given their own special "look" by the designer, too. Don't put too much stock in the colors there - wait for official preview images.

5. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Out of interest, who makes these trailers? Are they done in-house at CBS-D?

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I don't know if it's interest so much as excitement that is waning. At first we were all blown away that we were even getting TNG in HD, but now that the excitement has worn off and we are just patiently waiting for the sets to be released. At least that's how I feel.

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interest isn't waning. When everything is A-OK, what is there really to talk about? We are all used to the amazing upgrade, so now it's a matter of expectation rather than being surprised by the sampler and season 1.

Look at the five threads. Which has the most activity? It's season 2, because it was a trainwreck. I would consider it a bad sign if there was extra forum attention to the remaining seasons.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that pretty much life in general. If it sucks, we complain. If it's great, no big deal. It's amazing how things like that work out.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'll be glad once season five is out, then my spending on TNG discs will be over.

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Were it not for a great deal, I'd be in the same boat. I bought them in 2002 for $110 per season. Years later, some guy offered me $500 for the whole show ($200 more than my asking price), since I had all the Best Buy bonus discs, which he desperately wanted for some reason.

Now today, I'm buying back the show for less than what I sold the DVDs for. :devil:

11. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haha! :bolian:

What was the content of those Bestbuy-bonus-DVDs?

12. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm looking forward to Season 5 too. But I'm just curious, what makes Season 5 that much better than Season 6? I'm not trying to come across as defensive or argumentative, I'm genuinely curious. I've seen that a lot of people feel TNG fell off a cliff in Seasons 6 and 7, but I've always loved Season 6 and thought it was as good as Seasons 3 and 4 and a step up from Season 5 (which I think was a slight dip in quality from S3 and S4). Tapestry and Frame of Mind are both in my Top 5 TNG episodes and there are only a couple of episodes I'd consider 'weak'. Also, Chain of Command is awesome :p

13. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

There were one or two DVD-style bonus features on each disc - and that trend followed for DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise as well. Those 'exclusive' features were usually included in the main European versions of the season sets; they've also been included in the TNG and ENT Blu-ray sets so far.

14. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started collecting the bonus disks. I ended up getting most of the TNG ones (except the first few, which were re-issues of the interactive technical manual, and some other software), DS9 and the first few from VOY. They're pretty interesting, and pretty cool if you like the special features. I'm hoping for the BD release they'll incorporate them into the archived special features they're including. Do we know yet if it's happening or not?

15. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

As I said above, yes.

16. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I think the biggest question of the series 5 Blu-Ray, if not the entire remastering project overall, is:

Where are the Phasers going to emerge from when the Enterprise fires on the Alien ship in Darmok? :rofl:

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

CBS-D changed the mistake from pilot where the beam was shooting from the Enteprise Captain's Yacht, to the right place.

They should fix the mistake in Darmok.

18. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God I actually hope not. To the best of my knowledge that ship shot (the close up when they fire) is the only time that ship shot is ever used. And actually visually, even though its absolutely wrong, its a beautiful shot.

I have no real objection to shows replacing stock footage, but I don't want to lose any original model shots.

Can someone confirm that the model shot is used in an other episode?

19. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

I think exactly the same as you do and can confirm that this beautiful shot of the Enterprise-D only appears in this one episode in this one shot. It would be a shame if it were to be replaced.

20. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They could keep the shot but move the beam.