And Cumberbatch's Character Is? [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Re: And Cumberbatch?s Character Is?

Godwin's Law strikes again!

2. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe at the end it will be revealed that his real first name is Robin.

3. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

I just can't see getting worked up about this. The writers and producers of NuTrek have a pretty good record of fucking with the fans. Is he really supposed to be Harrison T Backgroundski from TOS? Maybe. Maybe he's really Garth and this is all part of JJ's elaborate scheme to get fans worked up. Maybe the secrecy is just his own weird fetish. It's not like you don't expect to see feet in a Tarantino flick.

4. Pondslider

John Harrison is probably a pseudonym for Henri Ducard.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think his real name is Dick Whitman.

6. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Which rhymes with Picard.... BINGO - Cumberbatch is really playing Shinzon. :vulcan:

7. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love how people are actually denying who he is once revealed. Good job on obfuscation and misdirection, JJ & Co...

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love how you actually don't know that. :lol:

9. Bishop76

I don't and never claim I did - but they have claimed it - it very well could be a pseudonym and they very well could be telling the full truth now. The point is they're so good at misdirection and half-truths that everyone is still guessing.

That said, I do think they're telling the truth this time.

10. Crewman Pratt

Crewman Pratt Ensign Newbie

Well, I've got to admit to reading who Cumberpatch would be playing and going "Whaaat???" I've been convinced for long time it was either Gary Mitchell or Khan. I certainly wasn't expecting him to be a background character that far in the background. Haha. I'm still thinking "that can't be who he's playing, can it? Damn. Talk about anti climatic..." Nobody's gonna know who John Harrison is. Hell, I'm 43 and I've been a fan all of my life and I didn't recognize the name at all.

11. Pondslider

I think, pseudonym or not, this is excludes Mitchell. If it IS a pseudonym Mitchell was already in the comic so Kirk and Spock should know his name. Calling himself Harrison would be pointless. If they are changing Mitchell's backstory and leaving the plot of the comic out entirely then there's still no really good reason for Mitchell to go by Harrison.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only reason I've backed off Garthism is that Cumby is just too young to play the character. He's the same age as Pine, and Garth should be Pike's contemporary.

The possession angle seems right. Mitchell is still aaaalllivvve and took over this poor Harrison chump. Thus Cumby is playing two roles. This gives Abrams a golden opprotunity to frak with us on a technicality. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if that was the reason behind this plot twist. ;)

13. Pondslider

Unless Garth is being played by Peter Weller who is impersonating Harrison and at the end he'll change back to fight Kirk.

14. Bishop76

Has anyone ID'd who Weller is playing yet?

15. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

16. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cumberbatch is 4 years older than Pine. Not a huge umber, but I do believe Kirk is supposed to be a bit younger than Pine is. I could easily buy that Kirk is younger than Garth.

17. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's hardly an established fact that Cumberbatch's John Harrison has anything whatsoever to do with the recurring extra from those 27 TOS episodes, even if the name isn't just an alias.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is why they would bother with the whole "I have returned to have my vengeance" angle with a character we've never seen or heard of before. Not to say it isn't possible to introduce a brand new character, fill in his back story with a plausible motive for vengeance and make the whole thing work, it just seems... odd. :wtf:

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like an alias name to me, so they can stall in revealing his actual name until the last possible minute.

19. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

After thinking some more, I believe enhanced John Harrison could be a double agent that was sent on a secret mission either by Section 31 or Starfleet to the Klingon home world to retrieve Nero’s papers he wrote while in prison at Rura Penthe. Think about it. Those were very important technological papers the Klingons probably studied and it would connect this movie to the first movie in this trilogy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The IDW comics have already told us that "Cupcake" is the minor canonical redshirt Hendorff, from TOS. They recently centred a whole issue about him.