Which TV character's death moved you the most?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Jul 17, 2014.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

1 - Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart in Doctor Who
    2 - Sheridan and the station herself in Babylon 5
    3 - Idris in Doctor Who

2. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, and there's also this. Makes me bawl like a baby, each and every time. Including this one.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oswqHfHJwIk[/yt]

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Oh, that reminds me, a particular character's death in Breaking Bad. THAT'S going out like a man.

HANK: You're the smartest person I know. But you're too dumb to see that he made up his mind ten minutes ago. DO IT JACK.

I thought Juliet was the most moving death in Lost just because of the way they ended the season with it. Every episode has ended so far with fading to black. In this, she is BANGING ON AN ATOMIC BOMB WITH A ROCK, and the screen goes to white.

5. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Leo McGarry on The West Wing - even more so due to John Spencer's death.

7. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Oh god, Cordelia. In my headcannon she and Xander get married and live Bitchily Ever After. I ship them so hard -- they were so self-righteously, stupidly, bitchily perfect together.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I was a bit too old for Sesame Street then, but I remember the death of Mr. Hooper (and actor Will Lee in real life) hitting my kindergarten-aged sister pretty hard at the time. They handled it in a very responsible and caring manner on the show and made it a teachable moment, while allowing both the cast and the children at home to deal with their feelings about Mr. Hooper and the death of loved ones in general.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlj4Tk83xQ[/yt]

9. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Buffy.

Kenny.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lennie Briscoe (L&O) did not die onscreen, but I remember that in Jerry Orbach's final appearance as Lennie - the second episode of Law & Order: Trial By Jury - he was so sick that he could only whisper. :(

11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Xena and Tara from Buffy. I'm still not over either of them:(

12. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Detective Constable Viv Martella in UK cop show The Bill. It helps that it was basically the same kind of 'senseless death' as Tasha Yar, which gave it more impact really. She spots a van parked in an illegal place and does a routine traffic check, senses something suspicious about the occupants after talking with them for a few minutes, and after they realize that she's sussed them out they shoot her dead and leave. It was such a wham moment because it literally wasn't foreshadowed at all, the episode up to that point was just like any other, and at that time in the show's history (the tenth season) not many of the regular characters had met grisly ends (which would sadly change as it went on and it started happening all the time, the most famous being when they blew up the police station in Season 18 and killed off eight people at once).

13. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

Detective Frost on Rizzoli & Isles and Gibbs' dad on NCIS
    There are others, but these two were recent AND the actors who portrayed them both died in real life. Made it that much worse.

To add Trek, Trip in TATV.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you were there (i.e., watching it first run and didn't see it coming), I don't think anything can top the death of Henry Blake. It was completely unexpected and unprecedented.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not often bummed out by fictional deaths, but...

[​IMG]

Hot damn, was Eirene's death a downer. After all the hell she'd gone through, she finally finds a bit of happiness... and promptly has her baby murdered/gets manslaughtered by another woman. Who then becomes her lover's lover.

Ouch. :(

16. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Henry Blake for sure. Gary Burghoff really nailed that last scene.

When Jack Soo (Yemana) from Barney Miller passed away, they did an episode in the squad room and each actor just talked to the camera about Soo and how much they loved him, and their favorite stories about working with him. In story, the character died, but that one episode where each actor just spoke from the heart was great. I only saw it one time, and I suspect that's one that didn't hit the syndication market.

17. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Limited to those that really hit me uncomfortably hard, not just made me feel sad for a bit (or, in some cases, just pissed off at the showrunner :D):

The first I can remember is Gen. Frank Savage (Robert Lansing) in the TV series 12 O'Clock High. In retrospect, not really a particularly moving death, but I was a kid at the time and he was my hero. ;)

Other than that, it's pretty much just Phillip J. Fry's dog.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awww man, you just HAD to bring up Fry's dog. :(
    Now it's getting dusty in here...

19. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Detective Carter on Person of Interest recently got to me. Again a character that was from tv but died in a movie and that was Optimus Prime in Transformers the Movie. I was totally unaware that he was gonna buy it in that movie. One more tv character that died in a movie, The Enterprise in Trek III. My brother and I both teared up, we loved that ship!

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, that one floored me. I was not expecting that at all, and wondered how they were even going to carry on the show in a satisfactory way without such a key character. But they did it, and used her death to fuel their mission.