Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Welcome, newbies! Interesting name, [N]. What does it mean?

2. [N]

[N] Ensign Newbie

There isn't much of an explanation to be honest lol I just like characters that have one letter as a name, like V from V for Vendetta, there's a guy in the new Pokemon games called N, there are other I'm sure. The one letter makes them quite mysterious, I find

3. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Have you found the Red Shirt Lounge?

4. [N]

[N] Ensign Newbie

I have not, where/what is it?

5. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it stood for "concentration of nitrogen". ;)

Welcome aboard!

6. Awesonne

Awesonne Ensign Red Shirt

Hello everyone! I am into Star Trek since I was a kid, when, raised by a trekkie uncle (who for instance named his small business "Enterprise"), I watched all of TOS, all the movies then available in my native tongue, part of TNG, and a bit of Voyager. During my adolescence I didn't cultivate this interest too much, keeping it just as a warm and familiar background, but in the last few months the passion came back with some strength, so I've decided to rewatch TOS and finally complete watching the other series. Of course, now I also have Internet, so why not having a trip into the trekker community?
    Other than this, I watch a lot of different tv shows, play videogames, study Philosophy (basically Logic and Epistemology) and Neuroscience, and in general love sci-fi. So I guess I'll also infest the off-topic sections :)

EDIT: also, since English is not my first language, I preemptively apologize for any error I may make!

7. Count Zero

Welcome! :)
    Your post looks fine as far as English is concerned. And don't woryy, there are many posters here who aren't native speakers, including me. Just out of curiosity, what is your first language?

8. Awesonne

Italian! Yours, if I may?

also, /()

9. Count Zero

Ah, beautiful language. :) Mine's German.

I must admit I'm not familiar with that chat symbol. Is it someone greeting/saluting?

10. Awesonne

Thank you! I have a fascination for german as well, I hope I'll learn it some day.

Symbol is a brohoof, the other - if he wants to point out he watches MLP - is supposed to answer with the symbol mirrored

/() ()\

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  11. Count Zero

Ah, that seems to be another variant. So far, I've only seen this version of the brohoof: /) with the answer being the other way around.

12. Awesonne

Oh, I see. Saw it a couple of times on /mlp/ then started using it. Well, (\, then.

13. Eat-Da-Tribble

Eat-Da-Tribble Ensign Newbie

Hello. Glad to be here. Before, I would like to apologize for my English, it's not very good.
    I'm a trek fan since I was... well in the early '80s, when I was I child. I'm a huge TOS and TNG follower, and love DS9 too. Now, I'm currently into trek literature and writing some fanfic (but not in English)
    And I love Spot.

14. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hi to everyone who joined over the last week while I was on holiday! Hope you're enjoying being here.

15. Count Zero

If you're a fan we have a discussion thread for every new episode in Sci-Fi & Fantasy and a general Brony thread in The Neutral Zone (it's a hidden forum on here which is largely unmoderated, you have to opt in in your User CP to see it).

And hello, Eat-Da-Tribble. I became a fan at the same point and age as you, it seems.

16. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    Hey forum!

I'm a ditzy geek in her mid-twenties. I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and all of the then available films. I remember hopping into the show around the fifth season, and I completely ate it up. Wesley was, ironically, one of the reasons I loved the show, and only because I wanted to be like him (not for attractiveness purposes--I mean, not that he isn't attractive, but I'm not really attracted to men).

Oddly enough, the one film that I latched onto more than any of them was The Motion Picture. I had a recording of the extended television version on VHS and would watch it constantly, to the extent that I memorized the commercial breaks as well as the dialogue from the film (yeah, I boldly went there). The scope and epicness of the first film blew me away, enough to override any lethargy in the pacing. It always disappointed me when the TNG films kind of went Hollywood with the explosions and villains, and then the new 2009 film seemed to be all about flash and bang with a perhaps overly complicated weirdo sci-fi plot. But I still enjoyed it. I enjoy all of them. I'm a goddamned trekkie.

Anyway, there's my ramble.

*gets off soapbox*

17. slackbladder

slackbladder Lieutenant Junior Grade

me too.

18. Felidae

Felidae Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey all, just posted a bit of an intro in the Red Shirt Lounge but only now seeing this. So hello!
    I also grew up watching the Next Generation, with mom.. dad never liked Trek so we used to tape the episodes and watch them on sundays. Still have a great love for TNG, but two other favs are Voyager (how do you guys shorter that??) and ENT. Hated ENT at first, was so not Star Trek! But after a while the characters grew on me and I loved that it was not so "clean" as the other Treks.

A while back mom and me watched all ENT episodes, followed by all TNG ones, and we only just finished Voyager.. so now, I think I might still start watching DS9.. Didn't much like Sisko, and I really dont like Ferengi. Odo however and Dax, great characters!

Eh, dunno what else to post here except once again that I'm off to explore the rest of the forum. :)

19. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    I also didn't like Enterprise at first, but it grew on me. The latter two seasons are the best. Voyager had its ups and downs, the downs being way too far down in quality, while the ups were merely pretty good.

Please watch DS9, you'll love it. :)

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Happy Burned Replicated Bird Meat Day!

New but not new, as I've forgotten my old handle and email used when I was here years ago (Enterprise was still on).

I started watching Star Trek in 1966, when I was in high school, and have enjoyed all the series and films through the years (though I've missed a few DS9 and ENT episodes).

I chose the "Melakon" handle because I knew of Skip Homeier's work before he appeared in TOS.

(for some reason, my first attempt to post in this thread timed out, so trying again)