Why No 1960s Batman TV Series on VHS, DVD, etc.?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FalTorPan, Aug 20, 2008.

1. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Regarding the residuals questions, famous cameos were usually done for scale back then, and most likely just a one or two-run payment.

Only really smart people like Sheldon Leonard, Danny Thomas, Lucille Ball, Carl Reiner, Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke actually got long term "pieces" of their early TV shows.

Regular residuals for major cast members really didn't start on a wide level until around 1969/1970 with the advent of the Norman Lear shows, the MTM shows, etc.

--Ted

2. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In answer to your question, absolutely, this is how I discovered the character. I didn't even realise that there were Batman comics until by chance. I used to watch the show every Saturday morning as a kid as part of something called TISWAS (Brits over a certain age on these boards will know what I'm talking about). I had several different copies of the Batmobile made by Corgi and it was when I was 6 or 7 my favourite tv show. At the moment I'm tivo-ing the show on BBC4 and watching both parts back to back on Saturday mornings as a sentimental reminder of my youth.
    Speaking of old TV shows that should be on DVD, I think Disney should release the colourised editions of the old Guy Williams Zorro show from the 50s on DVD. I've watched a few clips of the colourised episodes on Youtube recently and they're quite good. Like Batman it was something I used to watch on Saturday mornings.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Same here! In the U.S., the show could be found in weekday afternoon syndication in the mid-'70s. I knew what a comic book was--I think there were some Caspers and Richie Rich's around the house--but I've always distinctly remembered the day that I was browsing through the comic books at the local supermarket and had the epiphany of a lifetime--"Mommy! It's Batman--in a comic book!"

http://en.dcdatabaseproject.com/Detective_Comics_450

I own a copy today, though not my original. Cover date August 1975--would have come out around May. I would have been 5, finishing nursery school (an optional pre-kidnergarten at my elementary school). Yes, I could read it, thanks to a Grandma who taught me very early...though I didn't understand all the words.

My first exposure to Supes was the George Reeves appearance on I Love Lucy--none of my local channels were playing Adventures of Superman reruns at the time--followed by Super Friends. SF was also a strong influence, as I remember some of my subsequent early purchases being issues of Justice League of America and Flash (who I knew from a guest appearance on SF back when it was the big five with Wendy, Marvin, & Wonder Dog).

4. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I loved that series when it was on. I would buy it on DVD.

5. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know many older people who too this day say this is Batman to them. They dislike greatly the dark knight as he is today. To me if you take away the silliness and jokes you end up with BTAS.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I love this series and would definitely buy the DVDs.

7. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand that both Batman and the Green Hornet series are both held back from release, both series were produced by William Dozier. It is suspected, but no one confirms, that it's Dozier's estate that is holding everything up.

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Even though I really love the darker take of the Burton and Nolan films, and really liked TAS, I would buy this in a heartbeat if it ever came out on DVD.

9. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

It will come out eventually. The Dark Knight continues to smash records at the box office, I wouldn't be suprised that it comes out when TDK comes out on DVD and Blu Ray. Perhaps they're waiting for Blue Ray finalization! BTW, seen TDK three times now, and plan to see it a few times more before it leaves the theater!

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Wiki link for the series says that some of these cameos were done as uncredited, unpaid walk-ons. How, if any, would this complicate the rights issues?

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That's what he's saying: it probably isn't the complication.

Probably the real complication is ownership between Fox and WB, maybe Dozier...

And now with the Watchman case...the relations between Fox and WB isn't great...

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It wouldn't. If they weren't credited or paid appearances in the first place, the performers in question couldn't get any residuals, ever. An extra cut of nothing is still nothing. And as stated, even most performers back then who were credited and paid didn't get residuals specified in their contracts.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Wiki link goes on to say that since some of the cameos were unpaid and uncredited, Fox has no home video clearances for them. Is this just inaccuracy on Wiki's part, then?

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know, I'm not an expert. I don't see why there would be rights issues, but these things can be crazy, so maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe they're wrong.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I could understand the no video clearances on them because there was no video back then. As for the cameos I can understand that being something that holds things up.

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

the truth is, that I own the DVD rights to batman TCS, and i have buried the originals in my back yard

17. The Old Mixer

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

So do I, and so would I.

What I've never understood is why the fans of a more serious Batman (which I admittedly, am one), don't see this show for what it is: a spoof. Everything under the sun has been spoofed at one time or another, and this show was simply Batman's turn.

I think of it like this: Batman 1966 is to "serious" Batman, what Spaceballs was to Star Wars.

19. The Old Mixer

^Speaking from my own experience, it's because this show dominated the popular perception of what Batman was for over two decades. There was a time when, in the minds of "serious" Batman fans, it had to be brought down to make way for something more definitive.

But that time is long past. The "Dark Knight" Batman has been dominant for two decades now, and Batman '66 is no threat to that.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if the 66 show is no threat to that, then release the damn DVD's already......