"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ha, yeah. I know they weren't planning a trilogy necessarily, but it would have been cool if Miranda Tate had been a character in TDK. Her reveal in TDKR would have been more of a shock.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That doesn't look like the capeless action figure I saw some months ago. The toy I saw was darker in color with what appeared to be a full mask like Batman Beyond. The chest emblem was blue in color but never the less looked like the BB one.

Tell me the one in this article doesn't look like BB:
    http://screencrush.com/dark-knight-rises-toy-spoilers/

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I thought maybe that was the pit they threw Bruce into but doesn't look like either.

They didn't answer who killed that other cop in 'The Dark Knight' when Gordon says 2 cops were killed. I thought that might be a lead in to this film, reopening the investigation and finding out it was Dent.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

"The world is too small for someone like Bruce Wayne to just disappear." - Ra's in the first film..

..but that's what happened!

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's easier to disappear when Liam Neeson isn't around to track you down.

7. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will there bea 4th film with the way it ended?

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

Kinda.

Nolan is done.

The next Batman movie(s) is/are a lead in to the justice league movie(s), which is if we follow the Avengers paradigm should take a 10 years to climax...

Maybe they'll keep Tommy on?

But I doubt it.

9. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

They could cast Levitt and just call him Bruce Wayne. Wait.. who's Tommy?

10. Guy Gardener

His character in 3rd Rock from the Sun.

It's just who I see him as first.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

If Carrie Fisher is in it she can be like "Aren't you a little short for a Batman?"

12. Guy Gardener

Gordy was already a Batboy in Angels in the Outfield.

Besides, are we sure he's going to be a new Batman, and not Robin or Nightwing?

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

My thoughts too exactly. Avegers were awesome, but Nolan's Batman is in a league of its own.

14. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I enjoyed the movie tremendously. Although it was too long, it didn't feel like they tagged on a condensed second movie in the final third like Dark Knight and Spiderman 3. They made good use of the characters although I would have liked more fisticuffs and bat gimmicks rather than cars and bikes.

Big thumbs up for a return to realistic explosions, low-key special effects, and logical plot progression. I hated the exploding hospital scene in Dark Knight because it just wasn't realsitic for the joker to be able to sneak in that amount of explosives all over the hospital, even within the bounds of realism in superhero movies. Mind you, I did also wonder where those motorcycles came from at the stock exchange in this one - bit weird but less so than the hospital explosion.

The producers would be bonkers not to take the franchise forward, even if with a new cast and new director. Nolan has been deliberate in his approach to the franchise - he's used known villains but hasn't rushed to include all the iconic ones. He's seeded all sorts of plot threads for the future - even Barbara Gordon would be about 13 right now. A reboot at this stage would be very annoying!

15. JarodRussell

Why ruin a perfectly good trilogy with a 4th film?

The whole setup is gone. The next film would be John Blake vs. the Mob, with a little help from Fox when the Bat-Wing needs fuel.

16. Pauln6

Silly question - because a 4th film could make a shed load of money and will do nothing to diminish the pre-existing trilogy unless they really screw up and kill the surviving characters from the earlier movie in the opening scene... :rolleyes:

This movie moved the timeline on by 8 years. The 'set-up' after a few more years could be very different indeed.

17. JarodRussell

Will happen when the actors don't return.

Speaking of actors... Rutger Hauer was missing in this.

18. Pauln6

If faced with the option of a reboot with different actors or a sequel with different actors, I happy with the sequel. That way I don't have to spend 45 minutes watching a slightly different take on an origin I already know. The new Spiderman movie was ok but it didn't have to be a reboot - the change of tone could easily have led from the after-effects of the black suit.

19. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    a sequel would mar this trilogy. It has a nicely wrapped up conclusion to the arc, with the pieces where they should be.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Like I said in the other thread on John Blake (specifically here), Warners should take a look at the returns on The Bourne Legacy before deciding on the direction they take with the Batman films. If Bourne is successful, then the studio may seen profit in continuing the series with Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Another route, and no one's discussed this, would be to treat the series like the Bond films. Bale and Nolan are done? Fine. Replace them but continue the continuity of the films. The same thing will happen with the Marvel films when the talent (actors and directors) become too expensive.

I don't think either approach would "ruin" the trilogy any more than Bourne Legacy will ruin the Bourne films or Before Watchmen ruins Watchmen. Nolan's three films are still there, and you can watch them whenever you want. Just because someone else picks up the toys and runs with them doesn't harm them.