Lost 5x01: "Because You Left" & 5x02: "The Lie"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 20, 2009.

?

Grade the two-hour premiere...

1. The first hour was EXCELLENT.

61.5%
  2. The first hour was ABOVE AVERAGE.

30.2%
  3. The first hour was AVERAGE.

7.3%
  4. The first hour was BELOW AVERAGE.

1.0%
  5. The first hour was POOR.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The second hour was EXCELLENT.

39.6%
  7. The second hour was ABOVE AVERAGE.

41.7%
  8. The second hour was AVERAGE.

12.5%
  9. The second hour was BELOW AVERAGE.

3.1%
  10. The second hour was POOR.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I have a group of people I send an email to each week with Agent Richard07's synopsis and image from these threads. I think I've mentioned that before. Anyway, one of the people had a co-worker who made the below items. I had to share them with you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe we need a LOST baking contest!

2. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

^ That's awesome! :lol:

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Heh, why not? It'd make a change from the avatar contests! :lol:

4. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Think there are enough of these for everyone here ?

- W -
    * Under 30 mins to go *

5. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There probably is. The place seems a little more deserted than it has in years past.

6. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

Hopefully it will pick up in... 15 minutes.

7. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm really glad I came into this thread because I didn't realize there were 2 eps either! :lol:

8. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

So are the episodes normally going to be at 9:00 or 10:00 like they were last year? I remember I could participate in the commentaries because of the new time.

9. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

That was an easy grading.

10. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were both Excellent but I'll give the slight edge to "Because You Left."

I don't even really know where to start. It was just completely worth the wait. I thought the pace was fast last year, but I'll wager going back to watch Season 4 will seem practically glacial by comparison.

I'll have to watch them again for more detailed thoughts I guess, but Hurley and Sawyer kick ass is where I'll leave it for now.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I give both episodes 'above average'. They weren't mind blowing, but it's good to have Lost back. This season looks like it'll be pretty confusing for a lot of viewers.

- This is the beginning of our new format. No more character-centric flashbacks. The action will "woosh" back and forth between island time and Oceanic 6 time with maybe a few brief flashbacks here and there. From what I understand, each episode is still supposed to center around one of the characters, but at the same time everyone will get something.

- What was up with that wild boar Miles found? I got the feeling that it was killed in a previous season by someone, maybe Sawyer.

- I like the arc that's developing with Ben trying to get everyone back together.

- Nice to see Psychic Lady again. That ending was very Da Vinci Code-ish.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Excellent start to the season. I was slightly mellowed out on the show after the disappointing S4 finale, but the opening with Candle in the Dharma days explaining what the Arrow finally is completely geeked me out and I fell deeply in love with the show once more.

Because You Left: 3.5/4 The Lie: 3/4

The opening scene was the best. We get the true name of Candle, the purpose of the Arrow, the origin of the Orchid, Faraday time travelling to the past, all in a couple minutes. Wow.

At the end of last season I predicted that the characters would time travel to the Dharma era and run around with them. I WAS RIGHT!!! SCORE!

It was nice not to have character-centric storytelling anymore, though I'll be quite disappointed if we don't get flashback episodes for the freighter folk.

After the opening scene events proceeded as one could be expected for the most part. Until the final twist; that the time travelling lady is working with Ben! Woah! Obviously this is Faraday's mother. So is she the leader of the Others now? What is her connection to Jacob? Fascinating stuff.

The Weekend at Bernie's schtick with Sayid was pretty amusing.

13. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I see what you did there. :techman: :lol:

Yes, they did. Again the Kate stuff was the slowest. Maybe the Fates will allow her to stay behind? :evil:

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I took it to mean that Miles communicated with the ghost of the dead boar, who led him to where it's body was.

Oh yeah I was pleased to see the Others still exist on the mainland and are working with Ben. Are these ones that were stuck there from before? Or did they leave the Island after it moved?

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

When the flaming arrows started flying, who else thought they were in the prehistoric era of the four toed natives? That would have been crazy! This suggests to me that before Dharma came to the Island the Others/Natives had no technology whatsoever and only had sticks and arrows to fight Dharma with. Until they captured their guns, of course!

16. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

They will be @9pm

And Excellents all round...gosh its good to have Lost back!

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

According to Dan, you can't go back and "kill Hitler" because you didn't. I wonder if that will change. It looked like Dan did add something to the past by talking to Desmond.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Gave both episodes an above average. It took a little while to get going and I wasn't sure what to think of the time distortion idea. But then I remembered that this is Lost and it's all good. :)

A lot of good stuff throughout the episode and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I think Hurley Jorge Garcia did a great job with the confession scene. Cheech was great in this episode too.

Not to mention all of the returns...

-The return of Ana-Lucie: She was more likeable here than in Season 2. The reference to Libby was sad but a very nice touch.

-The return of Frogurt: Funny stuff. That guy's freaky looking.

-The return of Vincent! You can't forget about the dog now, can you? He's like the kiss of death for his owners though.

So good to have Lost back!

19. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Desmond is his constant :D

20. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I mentioned that in the commentary thread.

What era do the guns the last people had look like they are from? They looked old and made me wonder just how hopping this island has been through history.

Man I hope I can get to sleep tonight. :lol: