What Do You Want To See In Next Star Trek TV Series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Enow, Aug 15, 2013.

1. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Why not just hope for another low-budget TV friendly sci show where hero ships can on a weekly basis solve conflicts with pew-pew-pew cannons, cheezy american/brit/spanish actors & actresses can indulge in their nausing attempt at banter and commeradie, plus you can throw in the odd hammy OTT humanoid-alien characters as comic relief *without* having the Star Trek brand slapped on it.

That way Star Trek's reborn credentials remains unharmed and those who hanker for stuff mentioned above are happy.

2. Enow

Enow Lieutenant Red Shirt

LOL!! That actually sounds better for that then the A-Team, but I doubt TV Land will let them get away with it.

3. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I know what I don't want, Taylor Swift acting in a Trek show. Disaster.

4. Xip

Xip Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

if we're going to start listing everybody I don't want to see in Star Trek... well, let's just say it will be a very very very long list. Disaster.

5. dan_bevan

dan_bevan Lieutenant Red Shirt

I actually think a tv show about the USS. Excelsior with a recast Captain Sulu. This would work and could include some classic Trek races.

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The Trek show with the best chance of getting greenlit atm would be a CGI show on the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from the new timeline featuring the voices of the actors from the movie. It would feature new & original stories as well as re-visiting classic ones from all eras of Star Trek and probably feature a recurring villain (Khan) who is aligned with some Klingons (Chang, Kruge, Kang or some other noteworthy TOS Klingon)

Anything else would not be greenlit because it depends too much on old Trek continuity (Prime Timeline) or is too expensive (Live action)

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A series set 100 years post-NEM, following a ship called the Loredo Tornado on its 4 year mission, with all the world-building and depth of DS9, but with the exploration and emphasis on sci-fi concepts of TOS/TNG.

A continuous 4 year story arc is weaved through, dealing with the end of the Federation.

Casting

Captain - Steve Martin portrays a captain suffering from severe depression and social anxiety disorder. As such, he almost never leaves the ship. An entire episode is dedicated to how horrendous he finds attending a simple social gathering with an alien ambassador. His lack of eye contact is the reason for the third season's massacre of Earth by said race.

First Officer - Sean Bean is a no-nonsense individual... that sadly speaks entirely in nonsense due to a severe condition he contracted in a previous mission.

Security Officer - Eliza Dushku as a sexy centaur woman, with a half-horse body. The First Officer rides her in to battle on occasion.

Ship's Doctor - Penn Jilette portrays a character that is sexually aroused by handshakes, and is found to be abusing the trust of his patients by initiating handshakes as often as possible. He is removed from his position in the middle of the 3rd season, and stranded on a planet where the aliens have no hands, driving him to suicide.

Story

Such stand-alone plotlines include a historical holodeck look back on Peter Gabriel's music career, and a 2-parter about a paedophile dwarf that has infiltrated the ship's school posing as a child.

Dushku's centaur character dies in an away mission and her horse-meat is accidentally used in burgers by the ship's chef, causing the entire crew to be poisoned and experience severe delusions. Series ends with the entire crew shooting eachother due to burger-induced hallucinations, in an ending akin to Blake's 7. Show ends with the ship crashing in to Earth, killing 486,5000 innocent people as Sean Bean sings She's Gone by Steelheart over the picture credits.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

An animated series is really the only thing I'd be interested in at this point. :techman:

9. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I often roll around the idea of a devising Trek characters for a new series in my head. I always thought Kes and her short lifespan would have made great tension as the 7-year series came to a conclusion. So I have often envisioned a character with a terminal illness who will ultimately die by series end. This person is not one to be pitied; with good writing the audience would often forget that they are ill at all. it will be heroic tragedy at the end of the show that despite all the tech and advancements, their life still cannot be saved. A great reflection of the world we live in here and now.

A similar character, perhaps even one combined with the above, would be a retired soldier left from the wake of the Dominion War. They would suffer from PTSD and would constantly be battling their own demons while still trying to be the "good officer".

I've always considered some of the less explored ship department personnel (stellar cartography, geophysics, etc) could be potential leads. One that I've taken personal interest in is ship's Cultural Historian built loosely on aspects of Guinan and Phlox whose alien perspectives often echoed the human condition and episodes like City on the Edge of Forever and Things Past. Ultimately, the theme of this character would be that although pushing into the future, we must learn from history (which often will be our present)

McCoy and Pulaski being divorced always seemed like an unexplored facet too. A divorced character, probably an angry one, would also be an option.

I have many more that I've tweeked over the years. For me, Trek's potential is endless. I was dismayed when plots were getting lazy during Voyager and Enterprise. I see no reason for that, other than new blood was direly needed. I would love to pitch ideas for a new series. If one ever starts it would be great if they re-implemented the outside script policy again.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Blazers, Captain Avatar of the spaceship Argo is obviously seriously ill and dies during the first season.

:)

11. ixfd64

ixfd64 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd also be interested in another animated series. Our graphics technology is far more advanced than it was 40 years ago,

A few other ideas:

1. Some of the more popular novels made into episodes
    2. A series featuring Hikaru Sulu following his promotion to captain
    3. A series featuring John Harriman following the events of Star Trek Generations
    4. Perhaps a strange idea, but there could also be a series that showcases the more interesting adventures from various ships instead of being focused on a specific crew

Expanding on my idea for a 30th century series: it'd be cool to see the crew of an Enterprise explore distant galaxies and different points in time instead of mere star systems.

12. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I love these ideas. Especially the novels and Captain Sulu on the Excelsior.

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I agree that an animated Trek with George Takei would be a good idea, as he's now a little too old to play the role live-action but still has a very recognizable voice.

14. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I'd have loved an Excelsior series, but it's really too late now I think.

Here's what I want n no real order:-
    1. A show set sometime during the WoK-TUC era.
    2. A show set in the JJ universe, but with more thoughtful sensibilities rather than Star Wars action.
    3. An interesting cast of characters, each with a fleshed out back story. Say what you will about Enterprise (I sure have), but the one thing it had over TNG and VOY is that I actually cared for the characters and believed their chemistry... Heck there WAS chemistry.
    4. No holodeck, no technobabble and no religibabble.
    5. Ships that feel massive and don't zip around as if they're fighter planes. That was the only downside of DS9.
    6. Equally space should feel massive, a dark abyss full of mystery and marvel. Traveling to a star system shouldn't feel like a routine visit to the corner store, it should feel like an adventure. For some reason post 80's space opera makes it feel rather unimpressive (just recently watched Star Blazers for the first time and damn if a 70's cartoon can make space feel big, so can modern Trek).

Good plots of course are obvious.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently the Sulu series was considered when they were kicking around the ideas that eventually led to Enterprise. It might be a mixed blessing that we didn't get it though, if we got the same quality of writing Enterprise had in seasons 1 and 2 may well have ruined Sulu for a lot of us.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing I'd like to see less of in the next series is the human-centred preachiness. There are a few stories and plots in Trek where our heroes disagree with the way things are done as it offends their human sensibilities. Such a standpoint is highly judgemental and elitist as it applies a morals and beliefs of one race as better than others who have been evolving and changing for millennia.

This is part of the reason I want more aliens on the next show, to get some different perspectives on the situations the crew comes up against.

17. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

I agree. One of my favorite Ferengi "bits" ever was in DS9 when Quark proudly told Sisko the Ferengi were better than Humans because Ferengar had nothing like the Holocaust in its history. Likewise he had been shocked to learn Humans sold an addictive deadly poison to their customers (tobacco). In fact I loved how we came to genuinely understand both the Ferengi and Cardassian cultures in a positive or at least sympathetic light during that show--in no small part because of constant interaction.

Curiously, this didn't apply to Bajoran culture. Probably because of religion. They established their faith as central to Bajoran life and civilization, but even now I've no real idea what the tenets of the faith are!

I came up with an idea soon after VOY ended, and mentioned it in some groups and to fans. Almost all of them were horrified. The notion was of a race whose sun was about to emit a giant flare, scorching the planet with radiation. Said race almost had warp drive and after first contact begged Starfleet for the final secret with which to save their species. And were refused, because of the Prime Directive. Turns out there were survivors, each of whom had gained the psionic ability to turn a warp field into a transwarp one. They hired themselves out to anyone who'd cut off all business and diplomatic ties to the Federation--Klingons, Ferengi, Romulans, Cardassians, etc. They were enforcing a total boycott and isolation of the UFP, until and unless the Prime Directive was repealed. These aliens weren't evil. They had a perfectly valid POV, and pursued their goals in a peaceful manner--even perfectly willing to help out any world that seceded from the UFP.

Frankly the amount of argument made me think I had a good idea. It seems just more dramatic if our heroes have to genuinely question their own beliefs. Much more in keeping with such eps as "Devil in the Dark" and "Balance of Terror."

IMHO

18. ixfd64

ixfd64 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sorry for the bump, but I've got two more ideas:

1. A series set between the events of The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country. It's hard to believe that Kirk & co. served seven years on the Enterprise-A, yet we only got two movies out of their adventures.
    2. A series that does not focus on the captain, but a crewman (or group of crewmen) who are extraordinarily good at solving problems.

19. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

This is what I don't want to see:

1. Incessant time shifting. "Three years ago", "6 months later", "3 months ago" every other scene. After three episodes of "The Event", I had no idea what or when the hell I was watching anymore and was unable to discern WTF was going on.

2. Fake long-term arcs. In other words -- writers leaving us hanging every single week and pretending that they have this long drawn out plan, when they're really just making it up as they go along, and acting as if the viewer is a dumbass for not figuring out the alleged "clues" that were spread throughout the series when there really weren't any, ala BSG, Enterprise, or to a greater extent V-2009.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone seems to be coming out of semi-retirement or from other assignments at the start of VI - at the start McCoy didn't even know Sulu was captain of the Excelsior, a post he got 3 years before!