Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

If he wasn't so busy hiding his paedophilia, then Shadow King wouldn't have taken his legs.

Meanwhile if I wanted to destroy an alien armada tricking them into thinking that they all yern to have sex with each others children and let all his targets know that that's exactly what's going through the bastard standing beside them's minds is a sure way to mop off the survivors.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

aw yeah! i would be greatly surprised if Gaiman didn't write Marvelman. i predict he'll be tied in with the new Cosmic line. sounds like Marvel is really committed to expanding that line...especially with the Guardians movie coming.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm curious on how and if MarvelMan will be integrated with the MU.

5. Admiral_Young

I too think that Marvelman will be tied in to Marvel Cosmic... possibly with the coming Infinity event. Perhaps Hickman will get to reintroduce him since he's brought back the New Universe now, and then Gaiman will write a solo series or something.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Bear in mind that's it's not still not clear who owns what from the 1980s which is why Marvel has stuck to reprints of the 1950s stuff - so any new series is likely to be completely divorced from the 1980s version and avoid many if not all of the characters, costumes and concepts from that era.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  7. Guy Gardener

But that's like loving the shit out of Darth Vader, and then being told that you're only allowed to see new adventures with him as a nine year old before he'd done anything awesome.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And also that the new adventures will take place on the Starship Enterprise.

Marvelman is ONLY interesting in the context of the Moore/Gaiman series. Beyond that he's just a 3rd generation Superman clone.

9. Guy Gardener

He's only a second generation Captain Marvel.

Did you ever hear about twilight of the Superheroes?

Moore recycles everything with Bates, Miracle Man and Kid Miracle Man with the Marvel Family after the world finished and Superman picked up the pieces declaring himself king.

Which makes Captain Marvel a 3rd generation Captain Marvel.

Circle of life.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting. DC used to be fanatical about having that outline pulled down. :)

That's the way Moore used to work. He had files full of ideas, and he'd take an idea he'd written up for something else and apply it to whatever he was offered. His Swamp Thing run originated in an outline he wrote for The Heap (an old horror comics character). He claims that Watchmen began with an outline for a story with Archie Comics' Red Circle heroes (the Shield, the Fly, the Comet, etc.).

Keep things archetypal, and eventually the key will fit. :)

11. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

If you had told me last year that my favorite book I'm reading right now would be Hawkeye, I would have called you crazy. Yet, here we are.

12. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Norman Osborn going to figure out Superior Spider-Man's secret?

13. Guy Gardener

I read his Wildcats run YEARS after I should have because no one told me that Image was anything still but Bubblegum Liefeld clone artists coupled with random exclamation generators... But a good stretch of his run was a complete rehash of Ozymandias' plan from Watchmen.

14. Admiral_Young

Is Norman going to find out that Otto has control of Peter or that Peter Parker is Spider-Man? Since Norman does not know that Peter is Spider-Man thanks to One Moment in Time/One More Day. This is also one of the reasons why I've been looking forward to seeing Norman finally back as Gobby.

15. Guy Gardener

Pumpkin bombs.

Glider.

Razor bats.

Zappy glove fingers.

How does Norman's technology work and would Otto have already worked out reacharound countermeasures to all of it, that he now only has to deal with a sociopath who is only a little bit stronger than he is.

But then how often does Norman bring out his Goblin gear?

He's a power broker these days.

From Loki's example.

Norman thinks he can talk his way into and out of any problem decimating all his opposition with wit and misdirection like an evil Doctor Who.

(There's still a Hobgoblin in play to see if Otto can smack down, if they want to act out a true versus of the archetypes.)

16. Guy Gardener

Right.

I'm reading the Ultron one shot by Mrs Imomen, which is about Ultron's kid who hung out with the Runaways, which is awful, and I'm finally realizing that there's one player in Age of Ultron who is unaccounted for... Present day Ultron.

We've seen Ultron confront previous versions of himself with contempt and destroy his creator, himself too, before whereafter you have to wonder what drive this #### has to procreate that his children will murder him and assume his identity effortlessly and without forethought of malice but just instinctually cannibalizes his dispossessed self like a stainless steel happymeal.

Wait? I'm thinking about an early issue of West Coast Avengers where Old Ultron did not like his replacement who was a nice Ultron who thought of himself as Hank Pyms loving and dutiful son... Point is, that the newer superior upgraded model was found to be flawed and therefore trashed for being disloyal to the cause, which means the old model isn't automatically submissive to it's replacement model... Does Ultron commit suicide when he accepts that his successor is deserving or is it the murder of the inferior program undeserving of the name Ultron like I first supposed?

Ultron made a lot of enemies in space.

Are we even sure that this isn't old code and Ultron isn't still in space?

Split descendancy?

Ultron would leave a lot of contingencies for his destruction by the Avengers that there has to be some sort of hierarchy for taking the name and job that less deserving Ultrons bow out of the line of succession to responsibly destroy Earth until all superior copies/upgrades have been removed from play...

And there would be arguments about what determines the criteria for such a pecking order.

Future boys need to be immediately disqualified since there's always one more minute upstream from whence Ultron can return to make machine ascendancy just a little more perfect which is just asking the universe to sandwich in on itself... Which may be why he's using Vision as a muppet?

Middle child syndrome?

Present day Ultron would be superpissed about how well Future Ultron is doing and can't be happy about becoming fates bitch following through with some other buggers plan, even if it's just an asshole version of himself.

But then Present day Ultron can't be completely sure that the Ultron from the future is actually descended from him and tnot a contingency held back in a duck blind waiting to come into play after his destruction at Squirrel Girls hands.

Never trust a futurion.

They tell one lie and black is white, up is down and it's raining doughnuts.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

This breaks down a bit because Age of Ulton has been published outside of its original form (arc in New Avengers) and so long after being completed.

However... we saw Ultron return's in Avengers 12.1 which was suppose to be the lead-in to this arc but it happened so long ago now that people have forgotten about it.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was also pushed out last year as Marvel's free comic on fcbd.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So instead of putting top talent on the book to create strong stories in the title as lead in to the film I guess they are going to just do a relaunch next year, talent TBD.