I need some help and advice please

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by johnlucy, Oct 26, 2013.

1. johnlucy

johnlucy Cadet Newbie

Hey guys im looking for a small bit of help.....my dad collects the star trek magazine thing but he missed one a few years back ive searched everywhere I can think of and I just cant find any original series magazines with the dvd....all I can find is next gen......any ideas of where I could get back issues??

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All material objects eventually pass through ebay.

3. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^That's the newly discovered law of conservation of collectibles.

4. johnlucy

johnlucy Cadet Newbie

yea ive tried lookin cant seem to find anythin maybe i just dont kno what to actually search for ha thanks

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

They put dvd's in the Star Trek Magazines? Never saw one packaged like that.

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An internet search for "star trek magazine thing" might be of some help.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was only sold in the PAL regions (UK, Australia, Germany, etc). It was a small magazine with an attached DVD on the cover that usually contained three television episodes, although some issues came with one of the movies instead. The content of the magazine itself was usually something related to the episodes on the disc. More info here: en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Collector's_Edition

For the OP, the thing to search for is 'Star Trek The Collector's Edition DVD'. But as you said, they ones related to the original series are more scarce on eBay, the TNG releases are easier to come by, but a quick look through just now has revealed to me one or two of the TOS releases. Happy hunting! ;)

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got my NEM dvd from that series.

9. Lance

:techman: They were a good value way to pick up the movies definitely. I don't know about the tv shows though., Even though the TNG season boxsets retailed here in Australia for $140 a pop or some such stupid number at the time for only six discs, collecting 10+ issues of the magazine in order to get a full season would probably work out more expensive. Darned if I can remember what the mag/disc combo originally retailed for. :confused:

I can imagine that on some level the DVDs on those magazines, in their individual collectable cases, would have a collective collector's value that is much higher now than the bog standard boxsets that everybody and their dog bought at the time, though. And that value will skyrocket in the future, especially for a complete set. ;)

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Depends on where you where, if you were just interested in the episodes. It was more expesive to buy them rather than a season boxset. The only difference is that you could spread the cost a bit.

11. Lance

There's also the conservation-of-space factor to consider. The entire lot were something like 60 discs for all of TNG and 30-something for TOS I think. A lot of shelf space needed. The 'complete season' boxsets took only a fraction the same shelf space.

On the other hand, the spine art on those DVDs was impressive. I never owned them, but I did know someone who did and the TNG discs in particular looked stunning on the shelf, with their montage featuring the Enterprise, a couple of Borg ships, and a Romulan warbird. It looked amazing. :)

12. johnlucy

johnlucy Cadet Newbie

awh ur a gem thanks a million il give that a go