Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's not a god being, he's a very naughty AI. The Extended Cut and Leviathan DLCs are very clear on this.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

When you get right down to it, there really aren't any big "villains" in Mass Effect. Antagonists, sure, but nobody is doing anything terrible just for the sake of being evil or even for self interest. And I'm fine with that.

Saren may have been a dangerous arsehole even before he was a reaper puppet, but most of what he does is for the greater good as he sees it. Same goes for Benezia, the Shadow Broker and TIM, more or less. The Collectors were just highly developed husks under reaper control. The Reapers themselves are little more than tools and extensions of the catalyst, which is just fulfilling it's function in the best way it knows how. Even the Leviathans that created it were acting out of concern for their thralls and were simply the victims of their own hubris.

Actually, the closest thing the game has to a villain is Wreave, and he's technically an ally!

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus TIM seems to be looking beyond the war with the Reapers and how useful control of their technology would be to securing human dominance of the galaxy, so thats another reason controlling them probably appealed to him, heck thats probably the tract the Reapers used while indoctrinating him.

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Does anybody remember the dead Reaper in Mass Effect 2? The one that was technically "dead"? That dead Reaper was able to indoctrinate all of the Ceberus scientists and turn them into husks. And TIM decides for no freaking reason that his next step should be to control the Reapers. No plan, no strategy, no anything. That's his plan and he's going for it. He's declared war on the whole galaxy to control something that is killing his science teams and soldiers in masse because... he wants to?

The Mass Effect artbook detailed TIM to be an endgame boss fight. It was scrapped because they wanted TIM's "intelligence" to be his weapon, not his strength. How the heck does TIM have Intelligence if he's indoctrinated and has stupid goals?

5. Hartzilla2007

As opposed to wanting control of the Collector base which BUILDS Reapers which could also have tech for indoctrination as a fail safe.

6. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Again, if you read how I would have handled it, the Collector Base was a ruse by TIM, not a goal.

And honestly, that Human Reaper is probably the third most retarded thing in the whole Mass Effect series.

7. Hartzilla2007

I don't care how you would have done it. I care how it was done.

8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

So... aside from bitching over and over about the endings...

I've been playing quite a bit of the multiplayer recently, and can I just say how incredibly fun - and very easy - it is to run a Vorcha Sentinel or Geth Juggernaut?

Step 1: toss cluster grenade in midst of enemy mob
    Step 2: wade into shortish distance of enemy mob
    Step 3: toggle Flamer to "on"
    Step 4: cackle madly as your enemies burst into flames

or

Step 1: wade into shortish distance of enemy mob
    Step 2: fire away with Geth Shotgun until shields are down
    Step 3: play vampire with heavy melee
    Step 4: as applicable, mock enemy insta-kill maneuvers

Granted I stick to Silver matches, but those characters have been a lot of fun.

9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I unlocked the Turian Saboteur Engineer the other day and I was rather surprised I was the top scorer in every match I played. You'd think relying almost exclusively on sentry turret and sabotage wouldn't accomplish that, and yet...

Can't wait to reach ME3 on my current single player engineer. The first time I took an engineer through ME3 I guess I didn't realize you could hack Cerberus turrets and even atlases. Going to do insanity for the first time (previously did ME2 insanity on another engineer) so I can take full advantage of my sentry turret, drones, and hacking. Stuff dies too fast on normal for those to ever be of any use. Finished ME3 on my vanguard the other day and while you kill stuff ridiculously fast, man is it ever boring. Charge-nova-charge-nova-charge-nova zzzzzzz.

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I've definitely found Engineers to be fun, though it's a class I haven't done in single-player yet (probably will be the last actually). But the Quarian Male and N7... err... Grenade-launching-Engineer... have both been a lot of fun. I'm tempted to try the Talon just to see what the Omni-bow is like.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm about a quarter of the way though ME3 with my renegade engie right now (which also happens to be my first insanity run.) It is a fun class, but requires a whole other mindset to play effectively and I can see why it's by far the least popular class in SP. It's a shame really since to my knowledge, the engie has the *only* class specific dialogue interrupt in the whole saga.

By contrast, I have about two of every other class...except Sentinel. Which is odd as I had a lot of fun with that one too.

12. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What would that interrupt be?

13. Evil Twin

Apparently in Omega the engineer gets a paragon interrupt to reroute reactor power immediately to shut down the Cerberus forcefields, rather than having to wait til after all the renegade interrupts. Suck it, Petrovsky! :D

But yeah, I really wish they had done that sort of thing throughout the series. Outside of how they go about killing stuff, all the classes pretty much experience the games the same way.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I know, right? It would have made for a much deeper illusion of choice if your class/background/service history were referred to at certain points. They barely even acknowledge it if Shepard is a biotic, which given that cover three of the six classes is one hell of a strange oversight.

15. Evil Twin

Well to be fair, you background and service history do crop up in dialogue every so often, most prevalently in ME1, where you've also got background-exclusive side quests on the Citadel. And the service history adds extra dialogue to other side quests (for example you know Corporal Toombs personally if pick Sole Survivor.) They rarely get acknowledged in ME2, all that springs to mind is in news announcements (Shepard Memorial Plaza on Elysium for instance) and a followup email related to your ME1 background sidequest. There's more references in ME3, obvious one being Liara's holorecording of you (which also *dun-dun-dun!* acknowledges your class.) I also noticed in the archives in Citadel DLC the holo image next to Shepard is different depending on your background (it showed prefab buildings with bodies laying around for my colonist Shepard.) So yeah, lots of references to your background/service history, next to nothing for your class!

16. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shepard only gets to speak to her/his mother if she/he is a spacer (in ME1 and ME3).

Not really sure why that's only applicable to a space-born Shepard.

From memory Traynor makes reference to you being a colonist if that's your background, and again she makes a reference to you being a biotic ahead of the Grissom Academy mission if that's your class.

Small potatoes though.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure that if you're a colonist your parents are dead (or still back home?), while if you're Earth-born they didn't raise you.

18. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus they're probably toast.....:p

19. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I remember when Hackett mentioned Shepard's mother was onboard and I was so excited that I thought I would finally be able to either talk to her again or even see her for once! One thing that is never done in these kinds of stories are professional high ranking mother/daughter duos! But instead, all we get is a mention and that's it.

Grr.

20. Evil Twin

Well, I'm not surprised that we never actually *saw* Shep's mother. Depending on how you created Shepard, the two of you could look totally different. In Dragon Age II the appearance of your mother and siblings changed depending on what skin tone you picked for Hawke, but they weren't going to go through all that trouble just for a minor character like Shep's mom.